Looking for Closed headphone recommendation.
May 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

christsreturn

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm looking for a pair of headphones to use at work. At home I'm using a pair of Sennheiser HD595's that I'm a pretty big fan of. That being said, I'm looking for something that sounds a bit different this time around, and since these will be a secondary pair for me, I'd also like something a bit cheaper.

My new pair needs to stick to a budget of around $100. I'd also like a pair that is a bit more aggressive than the HD595's. 

Music preference for this purchase in order of importance:
Acoustic
80's Rock
Techno
70s Rock
Modern Rock

My top contenders right now are:
Shure SRH440
Sennheiser HD280
Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

I would love to hear some additional suggestions, or some opinions on which would better suit my requirements.

Thanks in advance

May 8, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 15
Heya,
Take a look at the JVC HA-S500z,it is in your price range, sounds amazing! (sold all my headphones except this one while moving to speakers) and can fold up easily for portable use!
Very best,

May 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 15
After doing some more research, I've crossed out the following sets:

ATH-M50S - Not the sound signature I'm looking for

Phillips Citiscapes Uptown - Reviews said that the connector does not play well with adapters, and there were numerous complaints about the inline volume control.

HA-S500z - These don't really seem to be my style as far as shape go.

May 8, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 15
After doing some more research, I've crossed out the following sets:

ATH-M50S - Not the sound signature I'm looking for

Phillips Citiscapes Uptown - Reviews said that the connector does not play well with adapters, and there were numerous complaints about the inline volume control.

HA-S500z - These don't really seem to be my style as far as shape go.
I'll test my cityscapes with an adapter, but don't have an amp with 6.35 any more... from what I recall, it was off balanced, but I've gotten portable amps and they fix it. I forgot I had the uptowns after listening to the S500s exclusively, they're nice, I won't sell these either. I need to recable mine, and if I do, they'll work perfect with future amps and the such... :wink:

May 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 15
Yes the channels aren't balanced when the volume mode is too high or too low.
Not just the slider, but it being TRRS compliant also hinders it to adapters... :frowning2:

May 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #13 of 15
With the recent price drop for the m50 at various online retailers, that would be my choice.  Very well regarded around here and a great value.  Just keep in mind that from a comfort perspective no closed headphone will compare with the 595s.  I've owned the 595s and the 280s before, and the difference is night and day during long listening sessions (especially if you wear glasses).

May 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #14 of 15
With the recent price drop for the m50 at various online retailers, that would be my choice.  Very well regarded around here and a great value.  Just keep in mind that from a comfort perspective no closed headphone will compare with the 595s.  I've owned the 595s and the 280s before, and the difference is night and day during long listening sessions (especially if you wear glasses).

I'm assuming that you are recommending against the 280s then?

May 10, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #15 of 15
Well it seems I've changed my mind a bit. My current top contenders are as follows:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - It looks like the sound may indeed be what I was looking for. The first few reviews seemed to feel the highs were a bit weak, but maybe not? These seem like they might be the answer to my general purpose needs, but I'd feel a bit more comfortable with the purchase if A) a lot of my music wasn't acoustic/indie and B) the price was closer to $80. These may still end up getting the win though.

Philips SHL5905GY/28 CitiScape Uptown - I love the look, and would otherwise make these my number one, but the cable is a big sticking point for me. I do a lot of listening through a 1/4 inch output, so adapter limitation is really hurting the sale on this one.... My eyes are lusting after this set, but that damned cable... 
frown.gif

Sony MDR-V6 - A few reviews I've read, and the price point make these look fairly attractive to me at the moment. More research will need to be done, but the interest is there

Sony MDR7506 - I saw these on a passing glance and the initial reviews seem good, but I'll have to do a bit more digging on these.

If anyone has any advice based on these recent thoughts that would be much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back