Looking for bit-perfect S/PDIF transport for PC
May 21, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #16 of 29
Thanks for all the comments, highly appreciated.

A couple of points to narrow down the search (I'm a very straight-to-the-point person).

1) No USB-S/PDIF solutions: they are either custom drivers or they promise strange things like the DAC1 which claims that the Microsoft KMixer actually does a good job at 24/96.

2) I would HIGHLY prefer Coaxial S/PDIF output. 24Bit/96kHz is OK, doesn't need to be 24/192.

3) I2S is not something you can use over distances so that's out of the question. I wouldn't mind I2s-Coaxial after receiver, but would prefer PC->S/PDIF.

May 25, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #21 of 29
Hi guys

Sorry for the hi-jack but I'm looking for something similar to FA. I'm in the market for a PCI card that 24/192 bit-perfect and comes with coaxial and optical S/PDIF connectors on it.

I've been looking at the EMU 1212M as it comes with 24/192, coaxial and optical connectors that I'm looking for. The only problem is that at nearly $200, it's a little expensive for use as a PC transport.

Do you guys know of a cheaper alternative?

Thanks

May 25, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #22 of 29
I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but, I went w/a CO2 and the sound card of your choice.

Jun 15, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #23 of 29
Same problem for me. I already have the M-Audio firewire audiophile and it's headphone output seems pretty crappy to me. I then purchesed the highly acclaimed Bada Ph-12 headphone amplifier and the M-audio still feels pretty crappy as compared to Cambridge Audio's 640C using the same headphone amp and interconnects. So...my question is..it's pretty obvious the DAC used in M-audio Firewire is crappy but what about if I use it as transport only (it has S/pdif in and ot) and put a Benchmark DAC-1 between the M-audio and Bada ? Is it a good transport ? Can a soundboard influence the SQ in any way if you use an external DAC ?

Jun 15, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #25 of 29
Ok, in the meanwhile I've read some more and it seems a Bechmark Dac-1 USB wouldn't need any soundcard at all while keeping the bit-perfect !

Jun 18, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #26 of 29
And another one here. I've been running an AV-710 flashed with Prodigy firmware for a few years, but it just died on me. My caveat is that although I'm far from a hardcore gamer, I'd still like to have basic support for DSound3D & EAX, which those cmedia drivers and most of the USB drivers don't provide. TOSLINK would be much preferred, and of course it needs to be bit-perfect.

Do I just watch eBay and such for a replacement AV-710? Even if it's discontinued, I suspect it would be my best/cheapest option.

Only other option that seems reasonable for me is the Razer Barracuda AC-1, which seems to show up on eBay for cheap somewhat often. The Barracuda may not be the best OxygenHD card out there, but at least I'd have some analog support, unlike a flashed AV-710. Can anyone confirm that these cards give bit-perfect digital output? Given that it's an OxygenHD I'm guessing so, but I'd like to have some confirmation of this.

Jun 18, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And another one here. I've been running an AV-710 flashed with Prodigy firmware for a few years, but it just died on me. My caveat is that although I'm far from a hardcore gamer, I'd still like to have basic support for DSound3D & EAX, which those cmedia drivers and most of the USB drivers don't provide. TOSLINK would be much preferred, and of course it needs to be bit-perfect.

Do I just watch eBay and such for a replacement AV-710? Even if it's discontinued, I suspect it would be my best/cheapest option.

Only other option that seems reasonable for me is the Razer Barracuda AC-1, which seems to show up on eBay for cheap somewhat often. The Barracuda may not be the best OxygenHD card out there, but at least I'd have some analog support, unlike a flashed AV-710. Can anyone confirm that these cards give bit-perfect digital output? Given that it's an OxygenHD I'm guessing so, but I'd like to have some confirmation of this.

Why flash? AV-710 supports bit-perfect with VIA 4.73 drivers. There is one on the FS forums for $20 shipped
wink.gif
I would buy it myself if I didn't already have one. Damn, maybe I still might, just for backup (and more modding).

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #28 of 29
The M-Audio Revolution 5.1 is still available as well, not sure about the windows drivers, but it does bit perfect with linux. A bit cheaper than the Juli@

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why flash? AV-710 supports bit-perfect with VIA 4.73 drivers.

Last I'd checked, getting bit-perfect with an unflashed AV-710 was kind of a hit-or-miss affair that required some funky driver tweaks that not everyone could even get to work. Flashing it seemed be the most reliable route overall. Did that change at some point?

Quote:

The M-Audio Revolution 5.1 is still available as well, not sure about the windows drivers, but it does bit perfect with linux. A bit cheaper than the Juli@

Doing a quick check, it looks like the revo 5.1s are going for around $75 new. Not very cost-effective, for what I need it for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back