Looking for bit-perfect S/PDIF transport for PC
Apr 26, 2008 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

FallenAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

Just as the title says, I'm looking for a bit-perfect transport for PC. 99% chance it would be a soundcard as having a USB-SPDIF converter will only support 16Bit/48kHz and I want 24/96 or 24/192. I remember the Chaintech AV-710 as it was a fantastic choice and cheap, but now they aren't available for less than $60 shipped off ebay which brings me to this question. What recommendations do you have for a bit-perfect soundcard with coaxial S/PDIF output. I am obviously not interested in the DAC or output stage of the card, nor am I interested in how it sounds, my only concern is that it offers bit-perfect through S/PDIF.

Yes, the AV-710 is 24/96 Optical, and I would consider this option, but I would prefer Coaxial vs Optical (I can DIY the cable and make things true 75-ohm using BNC).

Thanks in advance.

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Roland U.S. - UA-1EX: USB Audio Interface

Thanks for the link, but as I said before, I'm not looking for a usb interface as it would either require custom drivers or would have to go through KMixer to reach that level of resolution.

One thing I did forget to mention was that I'm looking for Coaxial S/PDIF.

Hopefully it will also be inexpensive
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 29
M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 with coax/spdif out via a breakout cable.

Apr 27, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 29
Well there's nothing much cheaper than the Chaintech.

Maybe you should be looking for a used card - usual suspects, E-Mu, M-Audio, ESI, Audiotrak....

Apr 27, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #6 of 29
well, the chaintek only had bit perfect with hacked firmware, and even then it was optical only

E-MU 0404 PCI - the forgotten brother of the 0404 USB. They should be available for peanuts in the US iirc you can get them for ~USD$70

OTOH the 0404 USB is great but recently went up in price, and if you have USB2.0 will support up to 24/96

Apr 27, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 29
That's interesting.
As far as I am concerned, I think I will need a cheapish transporter soundcard with support for up to 96kHz, non-oversampling (goes with bit-perfectness I hope) and linux-compability. I would consider it a waste to use my ESI Juli@ as transport as there must be cheapier counterparts.
I am a bit surprised to see how little options is brought up in this thread. Are the bitperfect soundcards that rare? Really?!
frown.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 29
Not at all, but the op wanted cheap, 192, and S/PDIF via coax.

There are also AKM based cards from Auzentech, Club3D and Bluegears, but I'm not sure if any use coax.

Apr 27, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #10 of 29
Apr 27, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not at all, but the op wanted cheap, 192, and S/PDIF via coax.

There are also AKM based cards from Auzentech, Club3D and Bluegears, but I'm not sure if any use coax.

Oh, I see now. I wasn't paying much attention on the little detail.
smily_headphones1.gif
Sorry to come disturb the OP's circles here though.

Apr 27, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 29
Hello:

I used a cmedia card and the dogbert drivers as described by 1Up for a while. They are limited to 16bit/96khz on spdif.

I no longer use my Diamond Xtreme 7.1. But, it has coax output, not TOSLINK as indicated by the wiki.

I upgraded to the Juli@ because I wanted 24bit/192khz spdif for the future. I kludged up a cable, plugged into a header on the Juli@ and have I2S output. This is connected to the I2S input of a Perpetual Technologies P-3A and works up to 24bit/96khz. The P-3A does not accept 192khz.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/ea...d-card-242285/ Sorry I never got around to any pictures.

My next step is to buy one of the Buffalo DAC boards from Twisted Pear Audio and connect I2S directly.

Apr 27, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, the chaintek only had bit perfect with hacked firmware, and even then it was optical only

Hacked firmware? My card is bit perfect with 4.73b drivers, tested with a DTS-CD.

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #15 of 29
trends audio ud-10 with external battery 5v power supply is utterly amazing and its inexspensive for the quality sound you get!
it is dead silent coming out of computer no jitter!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back