Looking for better IEMs. Disappointed with Hippo VB
May 9, 2010 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

squarebox

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm new here just bought Hippo VB [SGD$98](yes i'm a carrot-head) after reading lots of good review here.
I'm sad to say, i very disappointed in Hippo VB. I'n not the crazy/hardcore type, i just hope to improve my enjoyment of music.

I previously use IEM from Sony($90) and Creative EP-630 ($40)

Sony EX71
- abit too warm(which kills the treble)
- spoilt quickly

Creative EP-630
- sounds balance to me???
- need more bass
- crazy amount of microphonics.

Hippo VB - With foam tips
- very clean output
- Construction is more sturdy than the rest
- High/treble are like sony
- Bass not as great as "reviews" say. (EP-630 bass are more impactful) [maybe because it's not fully run in yet?]
- harder to drive than EP-630? (sounds softer than EP630)
- Microphonics are almost non-existent.

I want to get something like EP-630 but a high end version.
Can anyone recommend a IEM with EPIC bass(impactful).
I have very small ears.

Strong bass required as i listen mostly to rnb,hiphop, trance and sometimes classical(where i require highs/treble to enjoy).
P.S Sound isolation and  is very important to me as I ride a motorcycle.

With Fiio E5 make a difference?

Thx in advance.

May 9, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 24
If budget is not an issue, I would recommend fx500 for bass and treble. It's around USD$130+shipping and you can import it from Japan. But read reviews before you go ahead and buy though.

May 9, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #3 of 24

Quote:
If budget is not an issue, I would recommend fx500 for bass and treble. It's around USD$130+shipping and you can import it from Japan. But read reviews before you go ahead and buy though.

Was going to suggest FX500/FX700 and the Monster Pro series, but since OP needs isolation and ride a bike...

May 9, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 24
Bose IE 
rolleyes.gif

May 9, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 24
Klipsch Image X10, Panasonic HJE900, IE7 and FX500........

May 9, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 24
Sounds to me like the MTPG would be what you'd like.

About the Hippos though, I don't know what tips they bring by default, but man, Foam tips are known for downing treble. On some it's a little or just enough, but others it just absolutely kills it(as is the case with my HJE900).

It could be a fit/seal thing, so I'd say give it some time and experiment with tips, insertion depth, and whatnot.

May 9, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 24
A budget would be a good place to start unless I missed it somewhere.

First off I would throw out the thoughts about the E5. It does have a bass boost, is really small and has good battery life but doesn't really do anything worthwhile imo. It does add some bass but typically at the cost of detail.

I would look at the MTP Golds if that fits your budget. Their isolation is fairly good and they definitely have the bass you are looking for. Strong bass is a good description of them.

May 10, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #11 of 24
Dude! Wearing earphones while riding a motorcycle ain't cool! 

From what I gathered, the 630's have bass that would be described as 'boomy'.
The VB's, on the other hand, have bass that would be described as 'punchy', detailed, no midbass hump, with good extension.

Try the Hippo Booms, or if your budget permits you, the Atrio M5s..

May 10, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #12 of 24
Its amazing how everyones ears are different. I find the bass of the VBs a bit too much for my liking ! :)

May 10, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #13 of 24
Thanks for the reply guys,

MTPG and IE8 are way off my budget as i dont see myself as a hardcore audiophile.
FX500 and ath-cks70 are still in my reasonable price range.

@sadhanaputra : Some people even use earplugs while riding. Not everyone get the listening while riding thing. For me, music help me keep calm in oh crap moments. The music also make me more alert to my surroundings(mirror checking and etc) as i can barely cars noise unless they horn.

Even in the office, i cant stand paper flipping, chair, keyboard, mice movement noise. Music or earplugs is a must for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back