Looking for $$$ balanced amp for HD800s
Jul 27, 2009 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

BrianS

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a high-end balanced amp for my hd800s to complete my setup. I'm used to tubes as I have an old MPX3. See my sig. The amps on my list to look at are:

RSA B-52
TTVJ 307A

I'm leaning towards the B-52 as I admire the build quality and use as a preamp for possible speaker setup. What else should I be looking at? Which one would let the qualities of the emm to shine through?

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 46
Thanks for the input. Also forgot to mention that my tastes in music are alternative, trance, metal and classic rock. I will be using the voice cable.

Jul 27, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...to complete my setup.

hehe in summit-fi this is not possible!

If you want to have a shot at diy then I highly recommend the b22.
I'm just finishing up mine now and it has been an extremely rewarding experience
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 46
I think it also would be a really good idea to check out Craig Uthus' amps. I haven't heard his balanced amps, but I own the Zana Deux and it is great with the HD800's.

At least, hearing how well the ZD is, his stuff is undoubtly what I would have gone for if I were in the market for a balanced amp.

Good luck.

Jul 27, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #6 of 46
There were quite a few meets recently where there were HD-800s, starting with Canjam. There are quite a few impressions people wrote about the HD-800s and various amps.

Jul 27, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 46
The Voice cable! OP, have you been able to audition it, or are you just really intrepid?
wink.gif

Anyways, if we're gonna throw in DIY amps, I heard good things about the EHHA and Stacker II. I think both can be built balanced pretty easily? Also, don't forget the Woo 22 and GSX.

Jul 27, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you wait a couple of weeks later .
You could get to buy Eddie Current's Balancing Act
I believe good driving for HD800...

Not likely. I'm in the first run and it's looking very likely that it might be late August for me. Anyone who signs up now is looking at atleast October.

Jul 27, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 46
i wasn't impressed with bal 800 on phoenix. the WA22 sounded better. but i preferred the B52 to that. haven't listened to the 800 with the 307A or balancing act (not out yet).

Jul 27, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Add in B22 and Phoenix on your shortlist.

I would second this. I have heard both of these and they are excellent with the HD800 (balanced).

I also second the ZD/Balancing Act recommendations - I also thought those work quite well with the 800's. I think the BA offers the SQ of the amps you mentioned at a noticeably lower price point.

Jul 27, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wasn't impressed with bal 800 on phoenix. the WA22 sounded better. but i preferred the B52 to that. haven't listened to the 800 with the 307A or balancing act (not out yet).

It all depends what was behind it. What source were you using? With the RAM modded DL3 it sounds excellent. But I'm a little worried how it will sound with the Reference One that will be here any day now. Only time will tell.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would tell the OP to take the 307A off his list. When I heard it in TTVJ's room at CanJam I was very unimpressed. The B-52 sounds great but there are a lot better for less money.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The B-52 sounds great but there are a lot better for less money.

like what?

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It all depends what was behind it. What source were you using? With the RAM modded DL3 it sounds excellent. But I'm a little worried how it will sound with the Reference One that will be here any day now. Only time will tell.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would tell the OP to take the 307A off his list. When I heard it in TTVJ's room at CanJam I was very unimpressed. The B-52 sounds great but there are a lot better for less money.

Do you mind if I ask what you didn't like about the TTVJ 307A?

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #15 of 46
If I were to go balanced, I'd buy the Eddie Current Balancing Act. The price is fair and I've been nothing less than impressed with Craig's designs. The Balancing Act I heard at CanJam was as good as any amp I've listened to.

That being said, any DIY amp can be built balanced. Your musical tastes might lend themselves to solid state, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back