Looking for an IEM with sound similar to Grado SR225
Aug 8, 2007 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

dima1109

100+ Head-Fier
Recently I got a couple pairs of headphones: Grado SR225 for stationary listening and Jays d-Jays for when I'm on the move.
I am absolutely desperately one hundred percent in love with the Grados (w/tape mod), but at the same time I'm disappointed with the d-Jays. Every time I leave my house and put in the d-jays, I feel like I'm back to my old EX71 (God forbid). The sound seems muddy, with absolutely no clarity and detail. Way too much mids. Bass is ok, but the highs are pretty much non-existent.
The thing is - SR225 is a pretty nice pair of headphones. And I don't know if they represent the true Grado sound, but if they do, sign me up for Grado fan club. So consequently, I would like to have a pair of IEMs that have the same or similar sound signature.
So the big question is:

What IEM would give me the sound close to the SR225? (nice, impactful bass, great mid- and high-freq clarity and great detail)

I am most likely returning the d-Jays. Don't get me wrong, I think they are a very nice pair of headphones. I like their sound sometimes, but there are too many times when I have to suffer through a song because of all the muddiness and lack of detail. They are good, just not exactly to my liking. Besides, I value money greatly, and I would like to be wise with it - make the best use of my IEM investment.

PS My price range is up to $200. I realize that I might not reach my goal on this tight of a budget, but I'd like to come as close as possible. The lower the price, the better though, so please, keep that in mind.

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 24
If there is such IEM, then I would be the happiest man on earth
wink.gif

I would have to say shure E500 is the closest thing to it, minus the rolled off highs and closed sound but then that is way beyond $200. I had the E500 but I didn't feel it was worth the cost and sold it.

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 24
Well, I obviously realize that it's not gonna be the same
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm just looking for similar sound signature. I am a noob, so I can't explain it in the "audiophile" terms. My only reference to what I want is the SR225s.

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #4 of 24
I will tell you that if I still had the E500 with me, I would still pick up the SR-225 every single time for each and every song I listen to. A particular problem with all iems is that the bass is drowned out in a bus.

The E500 has the forward mids and the punchy bass of the SR-225. The details are on par with the SR-225 but to me the SR-225 separation for acoustic is better. I really felt like I got my every cent's worth with the 225...

Aug 8, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #5 of 24
I've heard really good things about the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's.

Aug 8, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 24
kite, as much as I would love to own some E500s, they are way out of my price league.

pez, I was actually looking into them. Punchy bass and good detail look pretty attractive to me. It is actually a choice between them and Atrio M5s.
Is there someone out there that heard both? If yws, how would you compare them to each other, and to the SR225s?

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 24
I tried both SR225 and E500 and they have pretty much nothing in common.

- SR225 highs are bright and extended, E500 highs are recessed, though pretty detailed.
- SR225 mids are in-your-face, E500 mids are more laid back.
- SR225 bass is tight with mid-bass hump, E500 bass goes lower, but it lacks clarity and punch and can sound muddy sometimes.
- SR225 soundstage is very tiny, E500 soundstage is great for an IEM.

Overall, I prefer the SR225 by a wide margin, but the E500 are the best IEM I've tried so far, though it is far from being the sound I'm looking for. I'm still in the quest for a perfect rock/metal IEM.

Aug 8, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dima1109 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pez, I was actually looking into them. Punchy bass and good detail look pretty attractive to me. It is actually a choice between them and Atrio M5s.
Is there someone out there that heard both? If yws, how would you compare them to each other, and to the SR225s?

The bass of the SF5P is the best I've heard from an IEM yet, but the rest of the sound spectrum sounded too congested and muddy for my tastes. Also, I didn't like the recessed treble presentation. But, IMO, they're the best you can find for the price. However, a lot of people, including me, have had serious comfort issues with the SF5P, they're very big and don't go far in your ear canals, so you might want to try them before buying them.

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #11 of 24
Well, the only one that fits in his price range is the UM1, and that's not really what he's looking for. The UM2 is closer, but I don't know if I'd say it's comparable to the 225.

Your best bet, IMHO, might be the ER4p. You'd give up some bass, but the rest of the spectrum is all there. Better to have missing frequencies than unlistenable ones.

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 24
I have ER4Ps, and yes, they are pretty close to the concept of my Grados. If you punch up the bass in the iPod's pathetic "equalizer", they get even closer. The only thing they're really missing is the air and space (not the tonal profile), which I don't think you'll get from sealed IEMs. The Shure E2Cs I had weren't similar at all, in any way, so if there's a consistent Shure sound. . .

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

The bass of the SF5P is the best I've heard from an IEM yet, but the rest of the sound spectrum sounded too congested and muddy for my tastes. Also, I didn't like the recessed treble presentation

Sounds almost exactly like a d-Jays description

Aug 8, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #15 of 24
How is the bass on the shures? And what about the detail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back