Looking for an headphone upgrade 400eu~ range. Allrounder with g. bass, isolation.
Oct 29, 2012 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Djo77

Head-Fier
Hi there, thank you for taking a look.

Right now I'm using the 8.35Ds from German Maestro. I like these phones, however I want something better.
I am using it with an arrow 3g portable amp btw.

So, I listen to all kinds of music. 
Like. 
Ska.
DnB.
(Alt.) Rock.
(Death.)  Metal. 
Chillout.
Dubstep. 
Electro.
Reggae.
Well I think you get my point.

Criteria.
Bass, preferably deep, tight and punchy (without bloating of course).
Drums, I like to feel/ hear some kind punch with them if you get what I mean.
Noise isolation and blocking is preffered, I listen to my music obnoxiously loud (that won't change I'm addicted like that), and I listen to music where I might bother other people if it is too loud. -such a shame to have so many great phones falling off then, ...meh
Suitable for all kinds of music.
Tolerable mids and highs on higher volumes, since I'm bound to play it loud.
Comfortable for long listening sessions.
Also, fit for portable use, I do have a portable amp.
It's a plus if they can be worn comfortably around the neck.

It's a plus if they are somewhat forgiving, however perhaps I should just find more ways of getting that flac.
And of course the best possible audio I can get for the money, rich full sound and all that good stuff (if possible). I don't think I'm one for 'neutral' sound if that means the music being kind of bland (which I experience a bit with my current phones).

Yeah, I know I'm demanding
wink.gif

Planning on spending a max of about 400eu.

Also I am planning on getting a decent DAC in the not so not soon future. Probably a decent desktop amp too, but can't afford it all at once.

Phones that caught my ineterest:
Ultrasone Pro 900
Denon D2000

I plan on finding a place to test the phones that seem 'best'.

Please make your suggestions, comments and other stuff below.
All replies are greatly appreciated.

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 4
For home use the AH-D2000 is an excellent phone, but you may be hard pressed to find it as Denon is no longer producing it.  The AKG K550 is something similar currently in production that sounds excellent and matches your listening tastes.  I would shy away from the very laid back sounding HD-650 as many of us have bought and ended up not liking it in the long run.  The sound is just too laid back and the bass is somewhat weak.

The AKG K550 will serve you well and they look pretty snazzy to boot.  They are built really well too.

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 4
Ah I didn't know they were out of production. I will look into the headphones you wrote down, thank you. Also, silly of me too note the 650's since I'll need an isolated phone anyway. I'll remove it from the list.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 4
For rather similar reasons (isolation, good allrounder) I ended up buying the B&W P5 a year back. Is a bit down from your 400€ budget, and I don't know are you looking for very much portable set or not (which was my case back then). Nowdays as I'm mostly using these at work, I almost wish I would have bought some supra-aural or circumaural headphones though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back