Looking for an Etymotic sort of articulation!
Apr 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

WickedEars

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! I've been lurking around here for ages and finally decided to sign-up.

You see, my dear Etymotic HF5 ran away and I've been without portable music for nearly 3 weeks now (sadface). I didn't want to make an impulse buy so I've been biding my time. Now I feel like it's the right moment to make that new purchase.

So what I'm looking for is something that has a similar ability to resolve and articulate busy passages; the kind you might find in a prog-rock/metal band (think Dream Theater, BTBAM, SymphonyX). I'd prefer a neutral sort of sound, but my Cowon S9 can really color the sound any way I please so this aspect is not too-too important to me.  I guess the other thing I'm looking for is price: I've been spending long, sleepless nights looking through the huge IEM review thread and the $30-$60 range seems to be the sweet spot but I can go higher if necessary.

So far I've been looking at the following:
- Vsonic VC02
- Astrotec AM-90
- Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition
- Brainwavz M5

This is just what has struck me, but I'll admit I haven't been 100% thorough on reading the entire thread.

So please feel free to offer me some suggestions! I'm all ears 
cool.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 15
Although the AstroTec measures quite neutral, the slower decay in the bass makes it feel more bass heavy than it actually is.  The M5 is very similar to the AstroTec in terms of signature.  I do think, however, that I'm not getting the proper sound with my M5 as everything finds them extremely bass heavy (and I don't hear that). 

If you were OK with an Etymotic sound, I think that the Etymotic EtyKids may be something to look at.  They are the HF5 with a little more treble (the signature would be closer to the ER4B than the ER4P/HF5). 

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 15
That is a bit misleading, because they are extremely hard to drive, and are a dynamic driver with much lower detail output than the HF/ER series, though having a slightly similar sound signature.
Quote:
If you were OK with an Etymotic sound, I think that the Etymotic EtyKids may be something to look at.  They are the HF5 with a little more treble (the signature would be closer to the ER4B than the ER4P/HF5). 

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 15

Thanks for this. I bought the etykids a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. I was wondering how close to the others they were. For $25 from amazon they're amazing. And I'm a huge DT fan, I grew up on Long Island close to the same town as them. So +1 for the Etykids. Just know they have a 300ohm impedance so you'll have to turn it up higher than usual.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
That is a bit misleading, because they are extremely hard to drive, and are a dynamic driver with much lower detail output than the HF/ER series, though having a slightly similar sound signature.

My statement is a comparison of signature.  Nothing about how easy they are to drive, etc.  I apologize if it read like I was saying they are as easy to drive (they were designed not to be).  As for detailing, I find the EtyKids as detailed as the HF5.  I can't say much about the ER4.  I guess I should have said the EtyKids measure closer to the ER4B than the ER4P/HF5.  If the OP can survive without going above 90 dB, the EtyKids may be a direction to go (honestly, if you can run an Etymotic above 90 dB comfortably, you have ears of steal and may need to get your hearing checked :p).  I'm unsure how the MC5s sound, that may be another idea. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Thanks for this. I bought the etykids a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. I was wondering how close to the others they were. For $25 from amazon they're amazing. And I'm a huge DT fan, I grew up on Long Island close to the same town as them. So +1 for the Etykids. Just know they have a 300ohm impedance so you'll have to turn it up higher than usual.

Glad you like them.  And yes, I should have stated the impedance/sensitivity earlier.  They have about 300 ohm impedance and about 88 dB/V sensitivity.  They are definitely not the easiest to drive (they weren't built to be). 

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I made this thread so I wouldn't give in to an impulse buy.. Which is exactly what I did.

My VC02 should be in my hands by this weekend. I'll update when I get them and let you know if they're worthy of my ety ears :p

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 15
They finally arrived in the mail and I must say, I'm very impressed with the VC02.

They can keep up with busy/heavy passages like a champ. The high end is a bit more bright and fatiguing than my previous HF5s, but the low end has much more 'umph' than the etys did.

All in all, a very worthy replacement! I highly recommend these. For the price, I dare you to find something better.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
just wondering why u chose those when no one even commented on them?

Most likely research on the board - the VC02 appreciation thread contains a wealth of information.

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 15
+1 for the VC02. Price-to-SQ ratio is definitely very hard to beat since it rubs shoulders with IEMs 2x (and sometimes even 3x) than what you could get it for. And its got a pretty huge cult-like following. Hype justified since day one. Proud owner here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back