Looking for an amp (under $150)
Sep 8, 2010 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Wolfskie

Head-Fier
Hi, I've recently decided to upgrade my very humble system with some new components, the first stage was getting a new DAC to replace my old sound-card.
Now, it's time for headphones/amp upgrade.
I think I'll go with headphone upgrade either first or at the same time as buying an amp, so i want to see my options.
I now have an OMZ D2.5A and AD700... I've been thinking or going for either the K601 or DT880.
While i know my taste in 'phones (somewhat) i know pretty much nil of amps and this is where you come in:
My budget is around $150 for the amp and I'm located in Israel so i also have to think about taxes and delivery.
Are there any good amps that answer my demands?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #2 of 7
I'd try to find a second hand Matrix M-Stage here on the FS forum. They go for about $250 new so $150/$175 should get you one. Check the reviews around here and over at Headfonia.com 

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #3 of 7
that Matrix M-Stage looks like a great amp indeed but i honestly doubt i can find it in under $150 and more than that presses my wallet a tad too much.
Are there any nice alternatives in that price range? (seeing the $170 line as the ultimate limit - including delivery).
I've looked at the "little dot" line for a bit, how are the LD I+ portable/hybrid ?

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #4 of 7
I have no experience with the LD products so I can't help you with those. I do have experience with the Head Direct EF2 which you can get for $170 new. It's a nice entry-level hybrid amp for low-impedance headphones. It won't drive the DT880 right though. Both the K601 and DT880 need quite the juice. I don't know of any $150 amp that suits them right but if I run into one I'll post it in this thread. :) 

Maybe it's best to save up a little and then buy something more solid? You'll be wanting to upgrade anyway in a couple of months. :) 

Oh, this will add some nice kick-in-the-butt to your AD700. It won't drive the DT880 but will make your AD700 happy. It's cheap and very well made. 

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #5 of 7
I was thinking of maybe trying to build a nice cMoy but i never really needed a portable amp and for keeping it at home - i never really liked the idea of it having a battery that i need to replace every so often.
Well, if i don't find anything better, i might just build one (or buy a ready-made one). Thanks for the suggestion :)

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 7
If you know how to build a proper CMOY than you can always choose the enclosure, make it a desktop-amp, and the powersource. USB powered etc. That CMOY I linked to isn't JUST a DIY CMOY though. It's GOOD. 

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 7
I have the 601's and with my 192 kbps AAC iTune files they are not good at all even through a PA2V2 (very happy with as a portable amp used with smaller phones) and am also looking for a solid <$200 amp to drive the AKG's at home. Regarding the LD I+ seems to get mixed recommendations. David at LD seems to think that for home use it is the right choice. Other forum members advise against it. At 120 Ohm they are basically mid level impedance cans and thus require an ample supply of current (correct me if wrong). I have been looking for alternatives and not found one yet. Recently ripped a few CD's lossless so I will be able to get a more accurate assessment when an amp arrives. 

IMO a portable is not the right direction to go with the 601's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back