Looking for an AirPod alternative.. a truly wireless IEM
Nov 18, 2017 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jrm27

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm currently on the hunt for an AirPod alternative... something that is truly wireless, is fully confined in the ear (nothing sticking out like on the airpods), and perhaps has a custom molded option?

I do a lot of listening on my iPhone7 and having to plug into the lightening port means I can't have my phone plugged in to charge. It shouldn't bother me, but it does I guess. I really don't like the apple earbuds, so I end up using my Westone ES5 custom IEMs with the lightning to 3.5mm adapter.. it's just kind of a mess. I've thought about the AirPods, but I'm not really a fan of how they look and the tube that hangs out of the ear. Love the idea of a truly wireless headphone though.

So, any thoughts on an alternative? I'm not afraid of considering custom molded setups either (if any exist). I just would like them to be relatively low-profile if possible. I'd rather not have big knobs of plastic sticking out of my ears if the can be avoided.

I'm digging though threads, but figured I'd see if there was a general consensus! Thanks for any guidance.

-jon

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll look into those. A few threads I've seen have said that they're not that great.. I think the reference was "if they're not available for purchase in your country, don't worry... you're not missing much" But, perhaps that was a different model? Have you used these?

I'm wondering of the Samsung Gear IconX is a decent alternative. My initial thought was to get. appear of those and then a pair of custom molded tips from Westone. But, now that I see them, I'm not sure that would work. I bet the tips would keep them from being able to fit in the charging case.

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 14
As for the gear IconX, they first generation had poor battery life and some bluetooth issues, but Samsung has recently released (or announced) a newer version that should be much better. That may be the way to go. Check some reviews.

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 14
Yeah, it looks like the iconX has been updated really well. The only thing I'm seeing is that they're not really that friendly for iOS users. Bummer.

I was looking even at the Erato Apollo 7, and the Earin M2, but the verdict seems to be out and the M1 sounded like it had all kinds of problems, Now that the m2 are behind schedule.. doesn't seem to bode well.

So, maybes back to Bragi options. The Headphone does look good. I'd rather have a touch-capacitive interface rather than having to press buttons that jam the monitor into my ear. Maybe the Dash is a better solution...

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 14
Speaking from experience as a iOS/Mac user, Sony's WF-1000X may work for you.
Those look really nice! I’ll need to put those on my list of next ones to try.

I found a place online selling the Bragi “the headphone” for about $80, so, I went ahead and ordered a pair. There’s plenty I’m not stoked about, but perhaps my concerns will prove unfounded. Or, if they aren’t what I need, I’m only out the price of a couple wired Apple headphones :wink:

Thanks all! Looking forward to more options coming to this space.

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 14
What about the Jabra Sport Elites? I've currently been looking into a pair of truly wireless buds for the gym and keep coming back to these but the price is keeping me away. I mean, I just listen to podcasts at the gym, so I don't need something crazy expensive.

I think this space is still new, so everything is $$. With time, I have to believe, cheaper and more basic models will come along. At least, that is my hope.

Dec 1, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 14
Beoplay E8

Dec 1, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 14
So, I've. been living withe Bragi "The Headphone" for about a week now.

Initial impressions are good! I think I need to explore some Comply tips to find a better seal, but they're doing a passable job. Super easy to use. They are really quite low-profile as well. I've been impressed with the battery life and the bluetooth connection. No dropouts yet.

The sound quality isn't mind-blowing , but I'm probably too biased since I've been using custom molded IEMs for seven or eight years now... but they are great for listening to podcasts, audiobooks, making phone calls, and using for casual listening. I think with a better seal I'd probably be a little more excited. The tactical buttons are okay, but can be a little uncomfortable when pressing them and driving the piece into your ear a little more. Again.. that may be cured by a better fitting tip.

Phone calls are clear and apparently sound great on the other end. The charger is easy to use... I haven't dipped below 50% yet on the battery on any given day. For $79, they are worth the money to me so far. At $150 I might not be a happy. But so far, a solid experience.

Dec 1, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 14

Initial impressions are good! I think I need to explore some Comply tips to find a better seal, but they're doing a passable job. Super easy to use. They are really quite low-profile as well. I've been impressed with the battery life and the bluetooth connection. No dropouts yet.

The sound quality isn't mind-blowing , but I'm probably too biased since I've been using custom molded IEMs for seven or eight years now... but they are great for listening to podcasts, audiobooks, making phone calls, and using for casual listening. I think with a better seal I'd probably be a little more excited. The tactical buttons are okay, but can be a little uncomfortable when pressing them and driving the piece into your ear a little more. Again.. that may be cured by a better fitting tip.

Phone calls are clear and apparently sound great on the other end. The charger is easy to use... I haven't dipped below 50% yet on the battery on any given day. For $79, they are worth the money to me so far. At $150 I might not be a happy. But so far, a solid experience.

I'm new to truly wireless buds and have only done very cursory research and somehow have missed these. I saw the Braggi Dash, but those seemed to be a bit...much, for what I needed, although the ability to store music/podcasts on the actual buds seemed tempting. Anyways, have you used these in a gym at all? I'm curious how secure they are in an active setting.

Dec 2, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #13 of 14

Maybe see about getting custom tips done for the iems?

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 14
For something that sits flush I think the BeoPlay would be a good idea. I've got NuForce's truly wireless buds shipping to me on Wednesday too, those look like they sit flush as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back