Looking for Amp to pair with AKG 340
Sep 19, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, just looking at those Wheatfield pictures, that is the amp you want. So rugged and powerful. It will make your K340 feel like a woman.

LOL, thanks for the advice.

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

I vote for stretching your budget whenever possible, so my true vote goes to the Wheatfield, even though I haven't heard that either.

I am stretching my budget. I figure I won't be able to eat for like 3 days.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesselussier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am stretching my budget. I figure I won't be able to eat for like 3 days.
rolleyes.gif

Eating is overrated
rolleyes.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #20 of 35
I heard that specific Wheatfield (though I think Nate has since done some mods) with my K340s and also agree that eating is over rated if you can snag that amp. If you like to eat, the Darkvoice 336 (never heard the 332) and the Heed Canamp do well with the K340s, with the edge going to the Darkvoice once the stock tubes are changed. I disagree that with the poster who said the X-Can 3 is a good match. It doesn't come close to the above three with K340s.

Sep 19, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard that specific Wheatfield (though I think Nate has since done some mods) with my K340s <snip>

Vicki, when you heard it the amp was slowly cooking its power supply due to having the wrong type of rectifier tube installed (no fault of Mike's BTW). As a result there was quite a bit of power supply noise leaking into the output and it just couldn't have been at its best. Since then I've fixed the damage, upgraded a few parts and got it setup so that it really sings with the K340s.

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #22 of 35
philodox, something about your Massive Attack reminds me of a Chinese palace - in a really, really, really, really good way. If the Wheatfield makes her feel like a woman, the Massive Attack makes her feel like an empress.

I'm doing a little 340 listening at the moment, and I still can't decide whether I prefer the Heed or M^3. The Heed imparts a slightly boxy feel to the soundstage, reminiscent of how a K340 sounds prior to modding, and the M^3 is a touch edgy and sibilant in the upper mids / highs. I still positively prefer both to the 336i, even with upgraded tubes (RCA VT-231 gray or Tung-Sol 6SN7GT black); it always seemed to have too much of an attack focus to fill out the 340 to my tastes. Definitely a contender, but not really for me.

Some amps that I feel more or less failed at the task of driving the 340 include:

Eddie Current EC/SS
Corda Aria
Yamamoto HA-02

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO almost everyone who has heard the 340s has heard them underpowered

I don't disagree (and I include myself in the underpowered category).

Actually scratch that I heard them through a DIY tube amp of a unique design at the last Philly meet. It may have actually been similar to a Wheatfield.

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by esuko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beautiful woodwork and tubes there eyes really rest.

Quote:

philodox, something about your Massive Attack reminds me of a Chinese palace - in a really, really, really, really good way. If the Wheatfield makes her feel like a woman, the Massive Attack makes her feel like an empress.

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with how the amp looks now... it's a far cry from what it was originally.
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #26 of 35
What about Rudistor RP 5.1?

Own K340&HD650 and next headphone buy probably will be from Audio-Technica W5000 or AD2000. Or is a amplifier giving justice to all above mentioned headphones just dreaming?

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #27 of 35
It seems like either the Darkvoice or Wheatfield are the likely contenders. Lets put them head to head:

general sound quality: Wheatfield 1 point

price: Darkvoice 1 point

cool name: Darkvoice 1 point

appearance: draw, 1 point awarded to both

It looks like the Darkvoice has the advantage so far. Where does one purchase said Darvoice? Is there a difference between the 332 and 332i?

Thanks again everyone.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or you could crank your budget up just a bit more and buy my Wheatfield HA-2 which is regarded as one of the better K340 amps out there. I certainly enjoyed my K340s with it.
biggrin.gif

I heard my K340s through a stock wheatfield at a Dallas meet, and was very impressed. I can only imagine how nice a modded unit like Nate's would sound.

If your budget can't stretch that far I'll cast another vote for the Darkvoice 336 or 336i.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys, I'm really happy with how the amp looks now... it's a far cry from what it was originally.
biggrin.gif

I hate to be a smart*ss, but McAlister's aesthetics made my job really easy. Anything I did would have been an improvement.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #29 of 35
Wheatfield points - rare, classic, tweaked by Nate

I don't think the Darkvoice should get a point simply because of its name. You can call the Wheatfield whatever you'd like once you get it.
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #30 of 35
I actually like the sound of my HA-2 MKII SE with the K340. However, for me, I get the best sound running off the 120 ohm output. The sound signature becomes warmer with more body to the lower end without sounding flabby or a loss of detail elsewhere. You should be able to pick one up for the $500 range with enough looking.

Aditya

Users who are viewing this thread

Back