Looking for Amp to pair with AKG 340
Sep 19, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesselussier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Title says it all. My budget is $500.

Darkvoice 332i.. Match made in audio Heaven..
blink.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 35
Or you could crank your budget up just a bit more and buy my Wheatfield HA-2 which is regarded as one of the better K340 amps out there. I certainly enjoyed my K340s with it.
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 35
Wheatfield if you can afford it... great match. Otherwise the Darkvoice is a good option. Never heard the Heed Canamp, but the Original Master didn't do it for me.
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 35
The Heed CanAmp is very cabable, as is the M^3, a bit more so than the Darkvoice 336i I felt, but I haven't heard a 332. I vote for stretching your budget whenever possible, so my true vote goes to the Wheatfield, even though I haven't heard that either. The K340 is one of those cans that will make you itch until you get your amp just right, and thus far I haven't really experienced that bliss. The Heed was a nice surprise though, and makes a great option coming in well under budget.

Also, just looking at those Wheatfield pictures, that is the amp you want. So rugged and powerful. It will make your K340 feel like a woman.

Sep 19, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by esuko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Meier-Audio recommendations?

My Prehead did not have the best synergy with the K340. A bit too thin sounding to my taste. Brings the mids and highs too much forward (again: to my taste). The X-can gives the sound much more body.
I don't have the K340 any more, but I'm checking right now with my K240, which are similar in sound signature (and equally hard to drive).
The Opera is said to be slightly warmer. Might be a good match, but I haven't heard it so I can't really say.

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 35
Well i'm using Corda Ha-2 mkII SE. Might have to check out those tube amps. Who know maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised. Anyway K340 is magical headphone, one of my best hifi buys ever.

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #15 of 35
Yeah, I like tube amps with the K340.
340smile.gif

wood3.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back