looking for amp/dac for grado sr225i and sen hd555
Jun 30, 2010 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TheMG

New Head-Fier
Hello,
ive been looking for dac/amp for my headphones (mosly grado sr225i), the source is my computer, right now it has on bord sound card and it has lots of static noise that realy bugg me.
I dont have lots of money, arround 80$ (or 100$ that inclouds internetional shipping).

I listen mosly to my headphones so i dont think i need new sound card, i think that what i need is a proper dac.

A frind recommended me the nu force udac that cost 100$.
does any one have more recommendetions?
sorry for my poor english.

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 12
hey, I'm not sure about the Grados, but with the HD555s, you wouldn't need much if any amplification at all.

I think the choices for you are really between the udac and the Fiio e7, but I think the udac will be the better choice from the little that I've read just a few days back researching for a friend of mine.

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 12
i have full size seround amp (well its not suppous to be for music) with 1/4 amped headphone port, the hd555 indeed dosent sound much better, but there is no static noise, the sr225 did improve but nothing to dramatic.
the most imprtent part for me is the dac right now.

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 12
i can't comment on that as I haven't owned either of those. I do however have the D10, but the d4 will be very much dearer compared to the udac

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 12
so for 100$ its the udac.
what can i get for 200$? (like allways ill end up with tripel the cost...
redface.gif
)
i looked at the hifiman EF2A USB Headphone Amplifier that looks great.
im just worried that the udac wont be able to move high omp headphones that i might upgrade to, like Beyerdynamic DT 880 or akg 701k.
thanks for the answers!

Jul 2, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 12
I suggest getting a good DAC first before an amp. Sub $200 DAC/Amp combos tend to have sacrifices in certain areas, the EF2A is better noted for its amp section than its DAC capabilities. The uDAC is a very good DAC, sounds great through RCA to another amp. I have it connected to my Schiit Asgard amp and it sounds good together from a quick listen. Get the uDAC then a good standalone amplifier later

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 12
I see that some of you have commented on the iBasso series - I was just wondering if getting one for myself(on Grado headphones ofc) is the right thing to do? I am watching the D10 in particular, it looks like a great DAC with Amp possibilities for a fair sum.

Can anyone give me your honest opinion whether this alternative or getting stand-alone equipment would be the wiser to do. Assuming the same price tier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back