Looking For Advice...
May 21, 2011 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AngryBaconGod

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a tube amp for use at my desk at work. It would sit between an i-20, iPhone/iPod Dock, using it's built in DAC, and would drive the IEMs/headphone in my sig. All used with an iPod Touch.

That gives you an idea of the quality of the rest of the signal chain, so my question is, what are appropriate amps for this application?

Something which fits in terms of SQ and the easy to drive 'phones. I want a tube amp for the sound signature. And I want to spend as little as possible, but I want something which matches the rest of the equipment. So I'm looking for suggestions on an appropriate price/performer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

May 21, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 7
The lttle dot I+ is a great little tube amp with a sound far above its price. It is designed for low impedance phones but as with all full size amps you will still get some hiss when using IEM's. Great for low imp overhead phones though and you can have fun changing tubes and opamps to fine tune it to your taste.

May 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks, that looks intriguing. I like that it's a hybrid... might keep the heat down a bit.

May 21, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 7
Any specific budget? Any DIY skills?

Hmmm, I built a bottlehead preamp a while ago... but I'm not really looking for a project with this.

Budget should reasonably be sub $300, I think, given my other equipment. What do you think?

May 21, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 7
The lttle dot I+ is a great little tube amp with a sound far above its price. It is designed for low impedance phones but as with all full size amps you will still get some hiss when using IEM's. Great for low imp overhead phones though and you can have fun changing tubes and opamps to fine tune it to your taste.

That LD with the stock tubes along with an op2107 sounds perfect for my needs. Thanks for the great suggestion!

May 22, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Quote:

That LD with the stock tubes along with an op2107 sounds perfect for my needs. Thanks for the great suggestion!

No probs, I've got the op2107 in mine and it definately takes it to another level 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back