Looking for advice on headphones to run off HeadAmp Pico
Sep 20, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have I tried both on a Pico? Yes I have.
Was I impressed? For a portable amp, not bad.

As great portable amp picos are I still preferred Gilmore Lite by quite a margin. Of course, I see how people see pico as a giant-killer, as I liked it better than some of SS home amps in 300$ range. However, I believe there are better choices out there to spend 500$ on amping - especially for non-portable cans such as HD650 and K701. They're not closed, not portable - so why bother using portable amps?

Also, for both K701 and HD650, there is so much potential left to be benefited from dedicated home amps. While not everyone can afford to have balanced setup (i.e. b22 had zero bass bloat, zero sluggishness, just very high-end speaker-like sound) there are good tube and SS amps to be had at 500$ range.

Glad you posted back, I corrected the typo in my origional post as it's not as good as my Woo 6 home amp, but it is very good for someone that needs a portable.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you posted back, I corrected the typo in my origional post as it's not as good as my Woo 6 home amp, but it is very good for someone that needs a portable.

Yup, I wasn't trying to say that pico is a bad product, but was trying to say that home amps can power both of those amp-picky cans better than portable can.

I liked pico better than audio lisa III - which was amazing to start. But, HD650/K701 just sound amazing out of good home amp - even from gilmore lite.

tube amps such as bada ph-12 do great job of amping K701 as well.

If op is looking for transportable use, something like D2000 would suit his need better, as I can't imagine HD650 to be used when going for a short walk. IMO, of course

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for clarifying that for me 1Time. It sounds like the AKG will not fit my listening habits unless I buy a more powerful amp, which I don't plan on doing anytime soon.

Based only on what I've read, I question whether the AKG 701 would be a preferred choice regardless of how it was amped.

Quote:

Unfortunately, I just looked up the AD2000's and they would put me way over budget for this setup.

The D2000 is out of stock at $200. The current problem is finding them at their usual pricing of $200 to $230. I suggest being patient and buying when found in your price range.

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #20 of 24
I own the AD2000 (among others) and I can say that I feel they are underpowered by the Pico. While I don't know if they are as picky as other cans I can say that I feel that they do sufficiently improve when using my B22. That said wit respect to the K701, I do feel the AD2000 are comparably picky, though I feel that it does take the right amp to make them shine.

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #21 of 24
Denon AH-D2000 are the perfect choice for your kind of music and if you will get the Pico, much better....
I get mine with an upgraded cable (same as the D5000 cable that i have over there....)

Sep 22, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have I tried both on a Pico? Yes I have.
Was I impressed? For a portable amp, not bad.

As great portable amp picos are I still preferred Gilmore Lite by quite a margin. Of course, I see how people see pico as a giant-killer, as I liked it better than some of SS home amps in 300$ range. However, I believe there are better choices out there to spend 500$ on amping - especially for non-portable cans such as HD650 and K701. They're not closed, not portable - so why bother using portable amps?

Also, for both K701 and HD650, there is so much potential left to be benefited from dedicated home amps. While not everyone can afford to have balanced setup (i.e. b22 had zero bass bloat, zero sluggishness, just very high-end speaker-like sound) there are good tube and SS amps to be had at 500$ range.

Pico is a great move - if you're looking for portable/transportable rig. It's also a great dac/amp combination as well. But I was just referring to how K701 and HD650 are not portable cans and something like glimore lite would be wonderful for either of those cans.

As for AD2000, they're not very picky about amping as much as K701 and HD650, and I liked them through pico quite a bit - if you're looking to upgrade in the future.

Thanks for your input Rednamalas1. After thinking about my setup this weekend, I'm questioning whether or not the Pico is going to be the best option for me. If you were to going to spend around $500 on an amp, preferably one that can hook up to my laptop, what would be your recommendation? How good or bad is it going to be to run the Denon's off of a receiver when I'm playing Xbox360 and how would it compare to a dedicated headphone amp? The receiver is a Yamaha one from about '99, so it's a tad old, but it can still power my desktop speakers pretty nicely. The reason I was thinking portable was because I work in various locations with my laptop and would always like to have decent sound with me. As far as walking with it, that's the lowest of my priorities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based only on what I've read, I question whether the AKG 701 would be a preferred choice regardless of how it was amped.

The D2000 is out of stock at $200. The current problem is finding them at their usual pricing of $200 to $230. I suggest being patient and buying when found in your price range.

Thanks again 1Time, you've been very helpful. I agree that from doing some more research the Denon's fit my taste in music quite nicely. I was always a sucker for deep bass, and from everything I've read, I won't be disappointed in that regard. I'm real excited to hear them. I ended up picking them up for $220 shipped, can't complain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, You are on the had-fi list for the pico? That can take a very long time! I say keep an eye on the for sale forums to see if a pico+dac shows up htere....
Greetings, Anouk,

I signed up on the pre-order thread, but now I'm debating whether or not to just go for a non-portable option. It seems like a lot of people like the Woo 6 for a similar price range. Any suggestions if I weren't to go the Pico option?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the AD2000 (among others) and I can say that I feel they are underpowered by the Pico. While I don't know if they are as picky as other cans I can say that I feel that they do sufficiently improve when using my B22. That said wit respect to the K701, I do feel the AD2000 are comparably picky, though I feel that it does take the right amp to make them shine.

Which amp would you recommend looking into PFKMan23? Which amps have you used your AH-D2000's on?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon AH-D2000 are the perfect choice for your kind of music and if you will get the Pico, much better....
I get mine with an upgraded cable (same as the D5000 cable that i have over there....)

Thanks for the reply wilashort. Can you upgrade the cables after the fact or do you have to purchase them with them upgraded? Where would I look to upgrade the cabling?

------------

Thank you everyone for your insightful replies. I'm excited to make my first leap on a good quality headphone setup. I can already tell I'm going to be addicted
k701smile.gif

George

Sep 22, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #23 of 24
Hello, Well I think for a laptop (which I suppose has only the onboard soundchip) either a separate dac or an amp+dac would be the way to go, I mean why trying to use a good amplifier when the source itself isnt good in the first place:? I myself have the headroom 'pimped out'desktop which is the headroom desktop amp with amx modules/max dac/stepped attenuator and separate power supply. I use this with my computer and as a preamp fo rmy speakers and the sound is the best I have ever heard (which in itself does not say a lot).
If you want an amp and a separate dac you might want to take a look at the following list of dacs that are in existance:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/al...pt-2-a-325941/
I did not know there were any tube amps +dacs but apparently there are, take a look at this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/tub...sb-dac-365085/
some other nice amps off the top of my head:
HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears
Kein Titel
www.rsaudio.com
Research is half the fun (smile).
Sorry about your wallet, lol,
Greetings, Anouk,

Sep 22, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #24 of 24
Of nothing
wink.gif
. Yeah. you can upgrade later the cables (but with mine i don't find the necessity), but i was very afortunated to get them with the upgraded cable.... I purchased a D5000 cable (before of buy the Denons) from Markl and they are similar in the exterior and interior [both are very flexible* ((*...the same) different from other's comments that said that the Denon AH-D2000 cable was very stiff and tangled...)] with the only difference in the color coding of the cable.
With this cable (D5000) the denons sound very spacious and clear, similar to my DT990 with the denons pads and D5000 cable.
Cheers
Quote:

Thanks for the reply wilashort. Can you upgrade the cables after the fact or do you have to purchase them with them upgraded? Where would I look to upgrade the cabling?

------------

Thank you everyone for your insightful replies. I'm excited to make my first leap on a good quality headphone setup. I can already tell I'm going to be addicted
k701smile.gif

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back