Looking for advice on a new set of headphones and more - Seriously needing help
Feb 3, 2015 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Kayden17

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, new to the forum here and look forward to everyone's great help and opinions. Please provide accurate and as well your own personal opinions but please state whether or not your stating tested facts, word of mouth, word of internet or personal experience. If you are recommending or not recommending from personal experience please state reasons and your length of use. I have stated a couple pair of headphones below that I really like and as well as genres of music I listen too, my budget and more. If you need any more information please ask and I will provide. Thank you

My musical taste: Smashing Pumpkins, Arcade Fire, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, Primus, Nirvana, Portishead, The National, Pearl Jam, John Lennon, The Doors, Rammstein, 

Genres: Alternative Rock, Folk, Metal, Grunge, Classical, Acoustic

Looking for: Good construction/build, comfort, would like over ear but on ear is good as well, I don't mind sound leakage so much, not concerned about outside noise, I'm not a bass head "but" I do like good bass but I don't want anything out of wack in your face like Beats, Sol Republics and Monster. But I like bass but not crazy and again I'm not a heavy bass head but again I like good decent bass.

I love to hear vocals shine, guitars shine, drum cymbals chime, bass guitar and drums to flow smooth and roll great. I love the two Sony's listed below the MDR-1R and MDR-1A but I'm open everyone's views and opinions. If you have a better options please let me know.

My budget would be $300 but could possibly squeeze maybe $450 to $500 possibly "if it's really worth it".

Considering:

Sony MDR-1R (these are listed at a great price currently and have great reviews. I think these sound )
Sony MDR-1A (these are the update to the headphones listed above, main differences being input plug fixed and bass is a little tighter, not sure if its worth the extra cost)
Sony MDR-V55 (yes I realize these are DJ headphones sort of but I like the looks and the reviews
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's (heard great reviews all around but cans are rather large)
V-Moda Crossfade M100 (heard good but don't know much about this company)

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 35
What equipment will be feeding and powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound and don't isolate well)?

What is the format of your music and other sounds will you be putting into these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Please describe the bass you seek from a neutral perspective.  One frequent problem in this thread is that people describe the bass they want/like from a baseline that has its foundation anchored in what current colored to very colored consumer/lifestyle cans produce.  That's generally not very helpful here.

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 35
  What equipment will be feeding and powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds will you be putting into these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Please describe the bass you seek from a neutral perspective.  One frequent problem in this thread is that people describe the bass they want/like from a baseline that has its foundation anchored in what current colored to very colored consumer/lifestyle cans produce.  That's generally not very helpful here.

Hi KG Jag, Thank you very much for your reply and questions, sorry I didn't include a little more information.

Equipment I will be feeding and powering these cans mainly will be my MacBook Pro 15 Mid 2014 and my iPhone 6. I would like to use them for possible music recording possibly but might buy a separate pair later down the road for that.

I don't mind open cans at all, I live a pretty lonely life so no chance at disturbing anyone - sad but true lmao

I have some Hi-Res audio files but not a whole lot. Most of my music comes from the actual cd and ripped to my computer and saved on my external hard drive.

Yes, I would like to use these headphones outside my home but these will be mostly used while at home as I am a homebody lmao. If outside my home I'd be using them on my MacBook Pro 15 Mid 2014 and iPhone 6.

Bass - this would be really hard for me to explain as I'm not a true audiophile but I do like a certain sound. I'm not into the typical lifestyle type of music nowadays and I'm not a bass head in any way at all. I love bass and I love tight bass but I wan't natural bass the way it should be heard but strong but not overpowering. I'm trying to explain this the best I can lol. I hope this helps :)

BTW I have been looking and considering the Grado RS2e headphones, any thoughts?

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 35
Also considering the Grado RS2e Headphones. Thoughts? 
redface.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 35

Hi KG Jag, Thank you very much for your reply and questions, sorry I didn't include a little more information.

Equipment I will be feeding and powering these cans mainly will be my MacBook Pro 15 Mid 2014 and my iPhone 6. I would like to use them for possible music recording possibly but might buy a separate pair later down the road for that.

I don't mind open cans at all, I live a pretty lonely life so no chance at disturbing anyone - sad but true lmao

I have some Hi-Res audio files but not a whole lot. Most of my music comes from the actual cd and ripped to my computer and saved on my external hard drive.

Yes, I would like to use these headphones outside my home but these will be mostly used while at home as I am a homebody lmao. If outside my home I'd be using them on my MacBook Pro 15 Mid 2014 and iPhone 6.

Bass - this would be really hard for me to explain as I'm not a true audiophile but I do like a certain sound. I'm not into the typical lifestyle type of music nowadays and I'm not a bass head in any way at all. I love bass and I love tight bass but I wan't natural bass the way it should be heard but strong but not overpowering. I'm trying to explain this the best I can lol. I hope this helps :)

BTW I have been looking and considering the Grado RS2e headphones, any thoughts?

Yes--the additional information sheds a great deal more light on the subject.

Not having an amp limits options.  For example the HD 650 and Pro 750 are cans you probably should consider, but they both need an amp to be properly powered.  The can I keep returning to is Philips Fidelio X1.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1

Also feel free to browse through the Inner Fidelity Wall of Fame, but don't get too smitten by any can needing or crying for an amp.

I very much like the RS2e.  However, it does not meet your bass requirements.  Its bass is very good, but not in an extra portion sort of way.

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 35

Yes--the additional information sheds a great deal more light on the subject.

Not having an amp limits options.  For example the HD 650 and Pro 750 are cans you probably should consider, but they both need an amp to be properly powered.  The can I keep returning to is Philips Fidelio X1.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1

Also feel free to browse through the Inner Fidelity Wall of Fame, but don't get too smitten by any can needing or crying for an amp.

I very much like the RS2e.  However, it does not meet your bass requirements.  Its bass is very good, but not in an extra portion sort of way.

Yeah just checked out the inner fidelity site and lots of good information, I have watched quite a few videos of  Tyll Hertsens on YouTube recently. Gotta say his last name would make a good headphone, guitar amp or something musically sort of brand name I think lol. I see a quite a few headphones he had listed as well.

Of course he had listed the Sony MDR-1R which now has a replacement MDR-1A. So far these and the Grado's have me strongly.

I see he also had the V-Moda M-100 and V-Moda XS previous version the Crossfade Vocal. V-Moda has been a brand I have been eyeing strong as well. I like their design and their options but of course this is all second and third to what really matters which is sound but I do like really well made constructed products.

I like the Philips Fidelio X1 you were speaking of, sounded nice and looked nice as well. I like the other models he had listed on his site as well. Its been a really really long time since I have picked up anything by Philips which use to be a huge name years back. My first flat screen 1080P tv was a Philips I bought years and years back and currently my father in law uses it now and it's still running perfectly fine. But other than that I don't have much experience with them just like I don't have much experience with most of the brands I have listed expect for Sony. I have used Sony products a lot and I have never been let down by Sony at all and them seem to know headphones and electronics very well. Gotta leave it to the Japanese when it comes to Automobiles/Cars and Electronics, love my Japanese cars I own lol really I do. 

So you don't think the Grado's would have enough bass for what I'm looking for? Again in no way am I looking for bass in your face but smooth good bass and where it's needed and suppose to be. The Grado's were something I have been eyeing very hard and a long with the Sony MDR-1A. Any thought's on the Sony MDR-1A, V-Moda M-100 & V-Moda XS and Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's?

Most of knowledge of sound comes from being a musician for years. I play guitar, bass, piano and a few other instruments. Hearing instruments and vocals very well and notes great is something that really matters a lot and it's what I look for when using headphones. I'm a singer/song writer type of person my self and just love true sound. On guitar I only play with true tube amps and use true by pass pedals and more. When recording music in the past which I still do time to time I use a set of headphones that were recommended years ago and most studios swear by them and it's the Sony 7506's. Truly great headphones for that line of work, love them. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 35
I am not a fan of he Sony MDR-1A, V-Moda M-100 & V-Moda XS and Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's.  Their sound signature sector is just not my cup of tea.

You will have to be OK with quality neutral bass to like the Grado.  Here is a good analysis RS-2i, which was the current version until last year.  Add some bass and take away some peakiness in the treble and this piece presents a good description of the e model:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_RS2I

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 35
  I am not a fan of he Sony MDR-1A, V-Moda M-100 & V-Moda XS and Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's.  Their sound signature sector is just not my cup of tea.

You will have to be OK with quality neutral bass to like the Grado.  Here is a good analysis RS-2i, which was the current version until last year.  Add some bass and take away some peakiness in the treble and this piece presents a good description of the e model:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_RS2I

Thanks for the reply and info, very good read. 

So for what I'm looking for out of a headphone and what I have described what do you feel would be the top 5 headphones for me? I know this is all a matter of opinion but what's your opinion? Thanks

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 35
I'd like to be of more help, but the type of headphone you prefer is not those with which I have had very much on head time.  I have mentioned the only one I can recommend in your situation.  The Pro 900 is also good, but it requires an amp and is above your budget.

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 35
  I'd like to be of more help, but the type of headphone you prefer is not those with which I have had very much on head time.  I have mentioned the only one I can recommend in your situation.  The Pro 900 is also good, but it requires an amp and is above your budget.

Thanks for all the advice and help KH Jag. Maybe I'll get some more replies here on this thread to help out as well lol - Maybe lol. Is there a good decent amp you would recommend that wouldn't kill the wallet if I wanted to try the whole amp thing? I've got thousands invested in music equipment such as guitars, amps, pedals, mic's, software, board and more so maybe spending a little bit on an excellent or decent set of headphones and possibly an amp wouldn't be out of the question. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #11 of 35
Pick your headphones first.  They may not need an amp, but if they do--decide on that later.  You will want to maximize the synergy between the two.  You might also want to look ahead to a possible future headphone upgrade or extra complementary flavor, factoring that into your amp selection.

Anyone helping you select an amp will have to know if you want a portable or desktop.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 35
If you can find a way to listen to some Grados--even lower models--it would be worth the effort. Some people absolutely love them for all kinds of rock :)

When you say, "I love the two Sony's listed below the MDR-1R and MDR-1A," do you mean you love what you have read about them? Or that you have heard them in person?

And how do you feel about the bass emphasis on the Sony 7506? Many people have those or the V6 (I have them), which would give us a better idea of what kind of bass amount you are looking for.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 35
If you can find a way to listen to some Grados--even lower models--it would be worth the effort. Some people absolutely love them for all kinds of rock
smily_headphones1.gif

When you say, "I love the two Sony's listed below the MDR-1R and MDR-1A," do you mean you love what you have read about them? Or that you have heard them in person?

And how do you feel about the bass emphasis on the Sony 7506? Many people have those or the V6 (I have them), which would give us a better idea of what kind of bass amount you are looking for.

Yeah I would really like to find a place to test out the Grados but I live in the middle of Kansas about an hour and a half from Kansas City and most stores here carry only Beats, Bose, Skullcandy, Monster and some lower end Sony's - these stores are your typical general stores like Best Buy, Target, Walmart and what not.

When I mentioned I love the Sony's MDR-1R and MDR-1A I meant I love the reviews of these headphones and the looks/build of them. I have not tested these in person yet but would love to but no store within 200 miles of me carries anything more than what is listed above unfortunately. The reviews seem rather positive and lean towards what I like in sound. I have a couple Sony headphones laying around the house used by myself or my fiancé.

The Sony 7506 sound good as far as clarity and truth to sound which I love but a little bass could be added - maybe. I'm thinking this is where the MDR-1R or MDR-1A would be a great sound. I would lean more towards the MDR-1A because of the fixed headphone port and a few other fixes. I don't want "any" bass to be taking away or sacrificing the true sound of vocals and instruments. My fiancé has pair of the Sony MDR MDR-X05's and I think those are a little heavy on the bass at times but not to bad.

I hope this helps :) Let me know if not or if you need more info

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #14 of 35
Yep. Sounds like you need to try some headphones. :)

I often recommend the Soundmagic HP150 as an upgrade for the Sony 7506/V6 for in the $200 range. Has more subbass extension down low. Here is the frequency response curve that Soundmagic gives for it:

Here is the graph for the V6 (supposed to be VERY close to 7506 in frequency response--I think only the wiring is different between V6/7506):

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1513&scale=30

So the HP150 won't give you more midbass, but deeper subbass.

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #15 of 35
Yep. Sounds like you need to try some headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

I often recommend the Soundmagic HP150 as an upgrade for the Sony 7506/V6 for in the $200 range. Has more subbass extension down low. Here is the frequency response curve that Soundmagic gives for it:

Here is the graph for the V6 (supposed to be VERY close to 7506 in frequency response--I think only the wiring is different between V6/7506):

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1513&scale=30

So the HP150 won't give you more midbass, but deeper subbass.

Interesting graphs here for sure, Thanks

I've never heard much about the SoundMagic headphones except I seen someone mention them a time or two on forums. I see these headphones relatively cheap in price compared to some other headphones, any reason?

There are so many choices it's crazy lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back