Looking for advice in choosing a new DAP
Feb 9, 2015 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Aethra

New Head-Fier
Hello people of Head-Fi.

I've been reading various reviews for a few months now, and thanks to Head-Fi, I've taken the dive into the realm of enhanced audio. I purchased my first pair of cans 3 months ago, and I'm already looking for new ways to enhance my setup. I currently have the V-MODA M-100's and the FiiO E10 Olympus 2. This was fine for a while, but now it seems I've caught the bug that intends to massacre my wallet. The only part of my setup that I have not upgraded yet is my Audio player, or DAP. I mainly listen to EDM, Rap, and some Heavy Metal. Like I said before, I'm quite new to this scene, so I have no idea whether a expensive DAP will enhance my setup by massive amounts. If the quality increase is noticeable, price won't matter to me. Any suggestions will help me in the long run. Thanks again Head-Fi!

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 10
  Hello people of Head-Fi.

I've been reading various reviews for a few months now, and thanks to Head-Fi, I've taken the dive into the realm of enhanced audio. I purchased my first pair of cans 3 months ago, and I'm already looking for new ways to enhance my setup. I currently have the V-MODA M-100's and the FiiO E10 Olympus 2. This was fine for a while, but now it seems I've caught the bug that intends to massacre my wallet. The only part of my setup that I have not upgraded yet is my Audio player, or DAP. I mainly listen to EDM, Rap, and some Heavy Metal. Like I said before, I'm quite new to this scene, so I have no idea whether a expensive DAP will enhance my setup by massive amounts. If the quality increase is noticeable, price won't matter to me. Any suggestions will help me in the long run. Thanks again Head-Fi!

For something low cost.
Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip 4GB ($45), with Rockbox firmware (free)
16GB Micro-SD memory card, $12

FiiO X1, $99
16GB Micro-SD memory card, $12
Or 32GB memory card $20.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 10
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear in that regard. I do plan to use my computer quite often, however my family has a tendency to take long drives. That's why I was asking for advice in this area, as I mainly use my iPod 7th gen for travel, when I know I could be doing better. I've looked at the Sansa clip and I'm thinking of getting one, however I would like to know if this is a massive improvement like everyone else is saying. I know that better files are better quality, but I've heard that the player can impact it as well. Thanks again for the support.

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 10
I do not believe there is "massive improvement" from the ipod to Clip+, nor do I believe there is "massive improvement" from 320K mp3 to FLAC when they are ripped from the same source and played back on the same system.

So - tell me this: Do you notice a "massive improvement" when you use the M100 on the E10K attached to your PC vs the M100 straight out of your ipod at the same volume?

If I were you, I would look into getting a decent portable amp for the ipod you already have. Maybe an E11K or something like that.

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 10
Agreed. If you aren't hearing much difference between your E10K and your iPod, probably not going to gain much by upgrading. If you need more volume or headroom, then the E11K is a nice option.

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 10
I appreciate your help more than you know. To answer your question, the songs I listen to do sound better going through the E10K. From that, I assume that getting a portable DAC like the E11K is the best way to go. I guess I when one reads all of the reviews about the high end DAP's, and how they seem to affect the sound when playing music, I assumed that the lower price ones did that as well. I realize now that high end DAP's have higher quality DAC's in them, affecting the sound. I'll look into the E11K, as well as other portable amps. Thanks for the assistance.

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 10
  I appreciate your help more than you know. To answer your question, the songs I listen to do sound better going through the E10K. From that, I assume that getting a portable DAC like the E11K is the best way to go. I guess I when one reads all of the reviews about the high end DAP's, and how they seem to affect the sound when playing music, I assumed that the lower price ones did that as well. I realize now that high end DAP's have higher quality DAC's in them, affecting the sound. I'll look into the E11K, as well as other portable amps. Thanks for the assistance.

E11K would nice, so you would be carrying around the iPod and the E11K
but for only a few dollars more you can get the FiiO X1, you can use Micro-SD memory cards with the FiiO X1, 64GB, maybe even the 128GB.

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 10
I appreciate your help more than you know. To answer your question, the songs I listen to do sound better going through the E10K. From that, I assume that getting a portable DAC like the E11K is the best way to go.

The E11K is not a portable "DAC." It is a headphone amp. A DAC is a digital to analog converter. A headphone amp then takes the audio signal and amplifies it properly for headphones. Your E10K is a DAC + headphone amp. Your iPod had a DAC + headphone amp. Most portable devices have a DAC and a headphone amp.

If when you listen to the E10K or the iPod at moderate volumes, they sound about as good, but not at louder volumes, then what the difference you could be experiencing is that the that the amp in the iPod is running out of juice and distorting on some peaks in songs (or all parts in songs). In that case, using a portable headphone amp with it could help.

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 10
I knew I would mess up in my terminology at some point, as I'm still quite new to this. I don't usually turn my music up to the max volume, I'm usually at the midpoint, if not a bit higher depending on the environment I'm in. From what I have read, getting an amp would be my best bet. However, I've also read about people getting the FiiO X1 and not needing an amp to go along with it. I know the FiiO X1 has better components than my iPod, but I don't know if that translates to better sound quality when comparing it to my iPod + A potential amp.

Basically what I'm now asking is this: Does the FiiO X1 sound better than an iPod + a FiiO E11K?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back