Looking for a warmer sound than my AKG-K712, but with enough detail
Oct 18, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #16 of 29
Well, the seller of the HD650 didn't accept my offer, and looking at all the reviews, I think the X1 is more "fun" anyway, and I am looking for fun cans that still have a good quality.
I just bought the X1 on a German website; €100 cheaper than in my own country, plus free shipping!

Can't wait to try it out! I also ordered a Cordial cable with it. Ridiculously cheap, but some experts say it's very similar to the entry-level Oehlbach cable.

Come to think of it; the lower impedance of the X1 might also be a plus, since I'm also going to use it on my 2nd computer often and I'll probably be too lazy to disconnect my O2 and ODAC every single time I'm taking it upstairs. Connecting it straight to the integrated soundcard of the computer seems like an insult to such a marvelous headphone though, so maybe I'll buy a low budget USB headphone amp or a Xonar DG soundcard for there some time in the future.

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #17 of 29
There's this guy selling his hd650 balanced with cardas cable for 150€ in my country. Damn, I'm tempted, but it's most likely allready gone...

Good luck with the x1 :)

Presently, I am using my hd800 out of my laptop and it sounds very good, don't miss my setup. Teachery, much 
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #18 of 29
  There's this guy selling his hd650 balanced with cardas cable for 150€ in my country. Damn, I'm tempted, but it's most likely allready gone...

Good luck with the x1 :)

Presently, I am using my hd800 out of my laptop and it sounds very good, don't miss my setup. Teachery, much 
evil_smiley.gif

Wow, you've got an HD800 and want to buy an HD650 next to it? 
Why? Also for a warmer sound when wanted with certain songs? I thought the HD800 was audio heaven on every terrain.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #19 of 29
Lol, this hobby is (for many) about more than just having the highest level of perceived sound quality in a single headphone. For me it is just as much about buying and selling to try out new gear and going to new unexplored spaces. So generally I only buy gear that I really, really want or go for the good prices so I know I can get for it what I paid. The explanation in short...
Besides, the hd800 has it's flaws too.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #20 of 29
Lol, this hobby is (for many) about more than just having the highest level of perceived sound quality in a single headphone. For me it is just as much about buying and selling to try out new gear and going to new unexplored spaces. So generally I only buy gear that I really, really want or go for the good prices so I know I can get for it what I paid. The explanation in short...
Besides, the hd800 has it's flaws too.

Ah right, I understand. :) Well I have to be a bit careful with my money, otherwise I'd also buy a Schiit Valhalla or some other decent tube amp next to my O2. Perhaps a Heed Canamp.

Personally I think I'll just stick with these 2. These combined with my Onkyo TX-DS696 and JBL S412PBE speakers should fulfill my wishes for music nicely enough. :)
I must say my K712 does sound quite well on the Onkyo, but a dedicated headphone amp really does give more detail.

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #21 of 29
Okay, what? 
eek.gif
 LOL

Here on the forum I saw several people say a V-Moda cable should be a perfect replacement for the high impedance stock cable of the X1 and even though I couldn't buy them in my own country, I did find them on eBay with free shipping.

Stupid enough, I decided to look into it AFTER I ordered the cable there, and I saw that V-Moda cables have an impedance of 1.42 Ohm.
If that's true, it shouldn't be an upgrade whatsoever.

Anyway, the X1 will arrive this wednesday and the 3m Cordial cable will arrive the day after.
The 1.5m V-Moda cable will arrive in about 3 weeks or so.

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #22 of 29
  Okay, what? 
eek.gif
 LOL

Here on the forum I saw several people say a V-Moda cable should be a perfect replacement for the high impedance stock cable of the X1 and even though I couldn't buy them in my own country, I did find them on eBay with free shipping.

Stupid enough, I decided to look into it AFTER I ordered the cable there, and I saw that V-Moda cables have an impedance of 1.42 Ohm.
If that's true, it shouldn't be an upgrade whatsoever.

Anyway, the X1 will arrive this wednesday and the 3m Cordial cable will arrive the day after.
The 1.5m V-Moda cable will arrive in about 3 weeks or so.

Don't stress over it. It probably doesn't even matter in the first place.

Oct 22, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #23 of 29
Well I got my X1.

The sound in general is quite like I want it, except it's way too edgy for me. The sibilance is very distracting, but what's worse: it hurts my ears badly, long before I have the volume at a setting that I'd like for the rest of the music.

Here and there certain instruments in certain songs could have a bit more power, but I'm okay with that. I like the warmness and the way guitars sound in death metal and such.
It has less detail and soundstage than the K712, but I already did expect that and I van live with that; it still is enough.

But the sibilance just is too much; it ruins the songs and hurts the ears. It was a real relief when I put the AKG on again. (It also is more comfortable to wear.)

Oct 22, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #24 of 29
Too bad it doesn't work out but what is often termed sibilance can be a very personal thing and it is very different from person to person. Some might not be able to stand the he400 but might be okay with hd800. Or the other way around.

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #26 of 29
I decided to let go of my budget completely and sold some stuff so I could get something really decent:

And I must say: this REALLY is the sound I wanted! 
o2smile.gif

Perhaps some time in the far future I could get an even better amp, but for now this really sounds amazing!

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #27 of 29
LCD-X I presume? Congratulations!

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #28 of 29
  I decided to let go of my budget completely and sold some stuff so I could get something really decent:

And I must say: this REALLY is the sound I wanted! 
o2smile.gif

Perhaps some time in the far future I could get an even better amp, but for now this really sounds amazing!

Now we're talking!  And I agree, since you seem completely satisfied with the headphone, your future upgrades should probably be the amp and DAC.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back