Looking for a warmer sound than my AKG-K712, but with enough detail
Oct 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ToTje

100+ Head-Fier
Hello there, newbie here! 
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought an AKG-K712 a while ago and I am incredibly satisfied with its sound with most songs: the soundstage, the details, almost everything!
My Objective2 and ODAC improved the sound even further, so listening to old songs really is a discovery trip: all those extra little sounds, the soundstage and even some voices and instruments suddenly sound completely different than before!

However, with some laid back songs I just like a bit more warmth and with rock/metal the heavy guitars also may be a bit more powerful, without sacrificing the rest of the music too much.
I really don't like my Denon AH-D1100 anymore since I got the K712. The bass is a little bit over the top and the treble is terrible. I do like the middle part though. Voices sound pretty nice.

So I'm looking for something with a little bit more oomph in the lower regions for heavy guitars, without sacrificing the vocals and the nice little details and airiness too much, although after a long evening, the treble of the K712 can be a little bit too much. (Preferrably no closed cans)

Now, I can buy a HD650 rather cheaply. I understand it has a nice, warm sound and the treble is a bit more subtle but still present and quite detailed. Could this be a good choice for me?
I don't need a thundering bass or a headphone that is good for extremely fast and complex music; I like my current one very much for that.
Trying it out isn't really an option since the seller lives quite far away. Testing other headphones also isn't really an option since I live in the middle of nowhere.
To make matters even a bit more complex: the music I love most of all is symphonic/gothic metal: roaring guitars, heavy male grunts combined with sensitive violinplay, heavenly piano music and angelic female vocals.

I also heard that Beyerdynamics like the dt880 and dt990 must be pretty good, although the 880 supposedly isn't much more powerful in the lower frequencies than the K712, and the 990 has recessed mids and the treble can be a bit harsh?

So, who can help me decide? :) I am looking for something a bit cheaper than my AKG, but I don't mind if it's 2nd hand or not. (So a headphone that's a bit expensive but often gets sold for a relatively low price also can be interesting.)

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #2 of 29
I don't think you could go wrong with the HD650, Fidelio X1, or Grado 325i. The 325 will rock your world, pun intended. The others will present a little larger soundstage but have a more laid-back character to them. All three have a warmish lilt to their sound.

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 29
I don't think you could go wrong with the HD650, Fidelio X1, or Grado 325i. The 325 will rock your world, pun intended. The others will present a little larger soundstage but have a more laid-back character to them. All three have a warmish lilt to their sound.

Ah yes, the X1! A while ago someone recommended that one to me. Completely forgot about it. Gonna try to find some reviews of HD650 vs X1.
There aren't too many "K712 vs...." tests out there yet.

Thanks! :)

The Grado 325i supposedly is quite agressive, right? I do like some finesse in the music when not listening to metal. Still worth looking into though if they're REALLY awesome!

Anyone else? :)

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 29
  try new X2

Yeah I've just read about this one. Seems amazing, but they aren't available yet in my country. (The Netherlands) 
frown.gif

Edit: Wow, they're €352 on eBay, while I can get a rather new HD650 with new pads for around €200. (We're still negotiating. :p )
Edit 2: after reading several tests and comparisons, I am thinking of not buying the HD650 and getting a new X1, but I'm still not really sure.
Edit 3: Even though the HD 650 is superior in quality, it appears that the X1's are more fun cans and still are pretty good with details. 
I cancelled the HD 650. I think I'm going for the X1, unless people have more interesting options?

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 29
Dt880 really makes some metal sing (like gojira, slayer and children of Bodom to name a few). Oth it is kinda slow/sluggish and sterile and raw at times.
HE-400i might be worth looking into.

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 29
The friend who recommended giving the X1 a try actuallyrecommends the dt880 most of all to me, but does it have more bass than an AKG K712? (Not as in a booming bass, but for heavy guitars) I doubt that somehow. Other than that, I understand it indeed is excellent for most genres, including metal. If the dt880 does have more power in the lower frequencies than my AKG, I might give it a try,

The HE-400i unfortunatelly is too expensive for me, and I can't find a 2nd hand pair. Also, that friend who recommends the dt880 really hated his HE-400, but that was the version without the "i" and of course taste in music is very personal.

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 29
I don't think I can help further. I can only say that I didn't like the dt880. And I don't think it has the bass you want. Compared to k702 the bass is a bit more prominent yet more dirty and not as clean

The best headphone I have heard for metal as of yet is actually my Stax Sigma NB but that one is surely out of your reach unless you get extremely lucky like I did.

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 29
No problem, thanks for your input! :)

€200 for the 2nd hand HD650 and €202 for the new Fidelio X1 are acceptable prices for me. €300 already is a bit too much, since I think my AKG will stay my main headphones.  :)

Oct 16, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #13 of 29
  If you can return or sell them without a significant loss, I'd try to get both and see which suit your tastes more.

Yeah been thinking about that as well, but if I buy one, return it, buy the 2nd one and then decide the 1st one is better, it's gonna get a bit awkward.
Besides: the HD650 is too expensive for me to buy new.
I could buy they 2nd hand Sennheiser and try to sell it again at the same price if I don't really like it, but then I can't compare it with the X1.

I need to think about this.

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #14 of 29
I made the same offer again for the HD 650. Since nobody else is showing any interest, I hope I'll get them for that price. :)

If I want to buy an X1, I have to wait till they're available again in a certain shop, or I have to order them from Germany, but delivery of course costs extra then.
Also, V-Moda and Fisual S-Flex replacement cables for the stock cable of the X1 aren't available here and I don't know what other cable to buy. 
I think it's better to wait a bit with buying an X1 till prices have dropped a bit and it's more generally available. Until then I hope I can try the HD 650. :)

I'll keep you guys informed!

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #15 of 29
Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back