Looking for a warm sound - IE60? PFE 012?
Apr 22, 2012 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

maingarden

Head-Fier
Source: sansa zip clip

Music:  varied.  fleet foxes, nicolas jaar, arcade fire, of monsters and men, the weeknd, gotye, tool, some rap for working out.  Some of this may have bright sounds but are high quality FLAC or 320 kbps files.

Preference: WARM sound signature with good bass.  Easy to listen to mids, less treble and "roll off" or "recessed"
Isolation gets bonus points.

Budget: would be flexible for the quality.  aim would be <$200.

Already tried: I found the SE215 fatiguing in the mids and treble, lacking in imaging.  Klipsch S4 worked well for gym and felt non-fatiguing and died after 3 year use - loved its soundstage and non-fatiguing nature.  Klipsch S4 REFERENCE seems too bright having to EQ.  

Judging from the forum, I think I would like the PFE 012 or IE60.  
I might consider IE80 if it's a worthwhile upgrade from IE60......

help me out!

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 13
IE60 provide the sound you want - sweet mids, warm sounding and good soundstage.
Never listened to PFE012 or IE80 though, but my friend (who own IE60) said the IE80 were better than IE60, but for twice the price, he'd stay with his IE60.

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 13
I think what you have listen in your preference would match what the PFE012 sound signature would be. It's got really good bass. Goes really low and is still "tight". The mids and the highs are laid back (too laid back/veiled for some). It's roll off is also very smooth. 

I compared head to head the PFE012 and the SE215. I found the SE215 a little harsh and fatiguing, which is why I went with the PFE012. 

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #5 of 13
WARM sound signature with good bass.  Easy to listen to mids, less treble and "roll off" or "recessed"

I have only tried the IE6s, and they sound very similar to the signature you listed, so you will most likely like the improved IE60s. 

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
I think what you have listen in your preference would match what the PFE012 sound signature would be. It's got really good bass. Goes really low and is still "tight". The mids and the highs are laid back (too laid back/veiled for some). It's roll off is also very smooth. 

I compared head to head the PFE012 and the SE215. I found the SE215 a little harsh and fatiguing, which is why I went with the PFE012. 

that's good to hear about the PFE012.  I worry sometimes "clarity" on threads means piercing highs. 
I think i am sensitive to treble b/c I don't think it's too commonly said with SE125.  Maybe mids get too busy.

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 13
Don't worry about piercing highs on the 012 they are really smooth everywhere with a lovley peak in the Midbass which is a tight as you should expect with armature iems. Also has good rumble. For more details check out my review in my signature and comment any questions!

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Don't worry about piercing highs on the 012 they are really smooth everywhere with a lovley peak in the Midbass which is a tight as you should expect with armature iems. Also has good rumble. For more details check out my review in my signature and comment any questions!

well i ordered the PFE 012 today and am hopeful at this price point i'll be satisfied.  the IE80 sounds like it's for me too but maybe i'll try the cheaper option first....

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 13
You might want to try putting on the black filters on the PFE012. I personally think that they really bring out the details if you find that the sound is over warm with the default green filters. The bass is still there but the mids are less veiled and the treble really comes alive without being piercing.

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 13

Quote:

well i ordered the PFE 012 today and am hopeful at this price point i'll be satisfied.  the IE80 s
ounds like it's for me too but maybe i'll try the cheaper option first....

I think these will happily satisfy your needs! They really are nice and please report back how you find them. I have to done a/bing with these and IE8s and although IE8s are technically superior I think the 012 are more enjoyable and fun sounding.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
I think these will happily satisfy your needs! They really are nice and please report back how you find them. I have to done a/bing with these and IE8s and although IE8s are technically superior I think the 012 are more enjoyable and fun sounding.

Hmm.  I had figured the IE8 or 80 would be more "fun sounding" based on its bass heavy signature.  

I got the PFE 012 after reading Swimsonny's reviews.  It is amazingly comfortable, light-weight, simple to place.  I find the cord quality enough, certainly a step up from the Klipsch S4 mess.  
I also found it much easier to insert than the SE215, and I doubt any IEM is much easier to place than the phonaks.  I can't say much for isolation since i just have the silicone tips.  

The sound is a real step up from what my prior experiences with S4, SE215.  Source is Sansa Clip with FLAC or 320 kbps audio.  

The bass has enough impact to listen to a broad range of music.   It compares to the bass quality of the Alessandro MS1 - impact and speed, with enough strength.  
It was able to drive rap/R&B like The Weeknd, Tool's heavy guitar and drum work, and handled electronic like M83 and the Chromatics very well.  It was able to handle Nicolas Jaar's "space is only noise if you can see" bass line and gave Hot Chip's One Life Stand opening some life.  

I love the sound signature and find it does not need EQ for my tastes, and am having no fatigue listening at home at reasonable volumes.  I can't imagine using grey filters though.  
The mids are silky smooth, really enjoyable without being in your face (SE 215), and highs presented clearly without being harsh.  The sound is not "analytical" which I have found on these forums to represent "brighter," "clearer," and bass-light sounds.  Soundstage is very good; I actually think this is a quality greatly affected mostly by the recording itself.  Fleet Foxes'  "Helplessness Blues" album sounds wonderful, but I bet it does on many IEMs because of its recording quality.  The treble is fast and not harsh; it delivers Martha Argerich's Gaspard de La Nuit really wonderfully.  I find I don't have the EQ the treble with the PFE.  

It makes me wonder how often "reference (think etymotic)" "treble roll-off," "clarity" are code words for those with a higher tolerance for treble sounds (like those with hearing loss or have enjoyed many concerts).  I'd be willing to bet these posters are generally of an older age.  I know I would probably love the "veiled" and "mid-bass" hump sound of the IE8, or "warm" HD 650.  To me, these are catch-words for non-fatiguing and NATURAL sounds.  

Thanks to those posting about the PFE 012 as I'm loving the sound.  It has a much better price than the IE 80 too which was my next choice if this wasn't going to stick.  
I can't wait to find an excuse in the future to go for the PFE 232s with Greens, if the bass will compare.  

The T130s are what I need for comply tips, right?  
Anyone have extra silicone ear guides to give up?  

May 1, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:

I got the PFE 012 after reading Swimsonny's reviews.  
The sound is a real step up from what my prior experiences with S4, SE215.  Source is Sansa Clip with FLAC or 320 kbps audio.  

I can't wait to find an excuse in the future to go for the PFE 232s with Greens, if the bass will compare.  

The IE8s are a fun sound but i just don't enjoy them as much. Obviously the next person could think I'm mad for saying that.

Well I'm glad that your enjoying them and i made a good recommendation!

As for the 232s I'm hopefully getting some fairly soon so ill let you know how they go. As for there bass from what I've read they have some monster bass on grey and i wouldn't want to know then what there like on green!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back