Looking for a Tube Amp comparable to the Schiit Magni. Price/Performance
Apr 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Skolar311

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Everyone, I recently bought the Schiit Magni and have been enjoying it whole-heartedly. I was wondering what a comparable tube amp to the Magni would be? I'm looking for around the same price range ($100 - $150) to push my HD600's and SRH-840's.

Any suggestions from the experts?

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:
Hello Everyone, I recently bought the Schiit Magni and have been enjoying it whole-heartedly. I was wondering what a comparable tube amp to the Magni would be? I'm looking for around the same price range ($100 - $150) to push my HD600's and SRH-840's.

Any suggestions from the experts?

I'm no expert but I think the reason nobody has responded is that there aren't any tube amps for that money.  Maybe a used Little Dot, maybe not.  Hopefully, more knowledgeable people will chime in.

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:
I'm no expert but I think the reason nobody has responded is that there aren't any tube amps for that money.  Maybe a used Little Dot, maybe not.  Hopefully, more knowledgeable people will chime in.

i was gonna recommend a little dot II for the sennheisers but besides those and some of the no-name chinese ones on ebay, theres little to choose from in that 100-150$ price range.

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 23
Thanks for the reply everyone. That's pretty much what I'm looking for, that "tubey sound" which I've never gotten to experience before. I was looking for entry level so I could compare it directly to my Magni. I was looking at the EF2A but haven't heard many direct reviews on that one... If I was to spend between $150 and $250, would there be a better amp within that range?

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 23
For $279 you could get the Bottlehead Crack OTL.  It would pair very-well with your high impedance HD600.

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 23
The Bravo Audio Ocean may be worth looking into. I haven't heard it, but it seems like one of the few decent offerings at this price range for a tube amp. It is $120 on Amazon.com. The stock tubes aren't very good from what I've read, so you should tube roll for better sound quality. It has a single 12AU7 tube. It is described on their website as "powerfully dynamic and sweet".

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:
The Bravo Audio Ocean may be worth looking into. I haven't heard it, but it seems like one of the few decent offerings at this price range for a tube amp. It is $120 on Amazon.com. The stock tubes aren't very good from what I've read, so you should tube roll for better sound quality. It has a single 12AU7 tube. It is described on their website as "powerfully dynamic and sweet".

Awesome! Thanks man! I'll look into that, sounds like what I'm lookin' for :)

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 23
I'd take a serious look at the "Project Starlight" from Garage1217.com. I think there might be a thread about the Starlight somewhere here at H-F:

http://garage1217.com/graphic_design_007.htm

I've been using the more expensive Project Horizon for the past 5 months and love it.

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 23
I have just ordered an Aune T1 which is a hybrid Dac/amp it can be had between $150 and over $200 depending on the tube. You might take a look at some of the threads on this.

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 23
Alot of bad recommendations in the thread. Skip the EF2A, I'm going to be harsh but the amplifier sucks read some of the reviews here. Bottlehead Crack is great but is more expensive and $279 is the diy route not including the cost of tools if you don't have any. 

The T1 is the only decently well amp that I can think of as of now if you want some good tube sound. Project Sunrise is a good amp too, but it is diy again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back