Looking for a Tube Amp comparable to the Schiit Magni. Price/Performance
Apr 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:
Alot of bad recommendations in the thread. Skip the EF2A, I'm going to be harsh but the amplifier sucks read some of the reviews here. Bottlehead Crack is great but is more expensive and $279 is the diy route not including the cost of tools if you don't have any. 

The T1 is the only decently well amp that I can think of as of now if you want some good tube sound. Project Sunrise is a good amp too, but it is diy again.

Are you basing this off what others have said, or have you heard the EF2A yourself? Not into DIY so that's not an option. And also, the T1 is not a Tube Amp, it's a tube DAC. Even without the tube it plays.

I think the other posts were more helpful, but thanks.

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Are you basing this off what others have said, or have you heard the EF2A yourself? Not into DIY so that's not an option. And also, the T1 is not a Tube Amp, it's a tube DAC. Even without the tube it plays.

I think the other posts were more helpful, but thanks.

I have heard the EF2A myself actually owned it twice and it's purely rubbish for the price. Yes I'm harsh but I'm also picky about what I buy for the price and what it can deliver sound wise. Yep that's right about the T1, I'd call it more of a cosmetic tube which comes back to my post earlier, the tube still has an influence on sound just not as much if the tube was directly used in the signal path for the outputs.

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:
All the garage1217 amps are available as factory built (and the build quality is superb) and also come with a (IIRC) 2 year warranty.

They generally come in diy kits by default which is a lot less expensive than getting it fully built and tested by them. If op can diy, then op saves a good amount of $$$.

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #20 of 23
I have an EF-2A and really like it (especially once I swapped out the tubes for Mullards and got some time on it). Very nice. I also got an earlier version of a Bravo Audio (V2) for less money and I like it, too, so well in fact that I've ordered the Bravo Ocean. I also have Little Dot Mk III and although it sounds good, I have not yet isolated some noise on it (I hear noise and pops in the dead spaces between songs, kind of annoying). Happy hunting ... just my two cents.  

gs1000.gif

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #21 of 23
I have an EF-2A and really like it (especially once I swapped out the tubes for Mullards and got some time on it). Very nice. I also got an earlier version of a Bravo Audio (V2) for less money and I like it, too, so well in fact that I've ordered the Bravo Ocean. I also have Little Dot Mk III and although it sounds good, I have not yet isolated some noise on it (I hear noise and pops in the dead spaces between songs, kind of annoying). Happy hunting ... just my two cents.  

gs1000.gif

P.S. - I do have the Schiit Magni as well, and think the two I mention above compare well with it.

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:
I have heard the EF2A myself actually owned it twice and it's purely rubbish for the price. Yes I'm harsh but I'm also picky about what I buy for the price and what it can deliver sound wise. Yep that's right about the T1, I'd call it more of a cosmetic tube which comes back to my post earlier, the tube still has an influence on sound just not as much if the tube was directly used in the signal path for the outputs.

Just curious about what you disliked about the EF2A. Personally it seems like a good deal for what I'm looking for and heard after you replace the cheap tubes that come with the unit, it sounds much better. I like the sound of the Burr Brown DAC and it seems like a good piece of hardware for "entry level" which is what I'm mostly looking for.

I guess whatever amp I can get that will provide that genuine "tube sound" is what I'm looking for. I appreciate any opinions and help you've given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back