Looking for a sub $1100 DAC
Jan 9, 2020 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nishan99

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

I am looking for a sub $1100 DAC for my setup (see my signature).

I need it to be/have:
  • great soundstage with excellent imaging
  • neutral
  • detailed
  • great dynamics
It will be paired to my active speakers and a tube or hybrid headphone amplifier.
I don't care about its type.

The current contenders:

Jan 12, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 13
Jan 12, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 13
Good option but I don't like to pay that much money on its features, I'd rather my money all go to the DAC amp section.

Fair enough. However, the ADI-2 DAC and AMP section are as good as it gets (According to what everyone says and measurements, at least). Under my reasoning, I think it's great that on top of a very competent amp section and a near perfect DAC section, we get all these cool features to play around on an excellent AKM implementation, it's just a no brainer for me at least. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Jan 12, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #6 of 13
I agree. Although the RME ADI-2 *is* jammed packed with features you can tell after they got the DAC right they just kept on going. RME is a pro audio company. This is probably their first hifi piece. It's serious stuff with no gimmicks. It's the best thousand euros you'll ever spend on audio :D

Jan 12, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 13
Yeah...I may begin to sound like a shill or an over enthusiastic fanboy, but RME is just flexing now. Before I heard about them: "1000k for DSD capabilities, transparency, bellow average amp section and some filters. Sounds like an excellent deal!" Now, "Why is everyone asking 1k USD from me when they don't even come close to this amount of functionally and engineering?" Sure, you can buy a separate amp, tone control and a similar performing DAC for less...but...I lost my train of thought.

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 13
Yeah I am sure the RME is a fantastic DAC but I just want a DAC with a beefier analog section with few or no features.

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 13
Maybe ask in the dedicated source components section. You're supposed to post questions here like you did and not there, but a lot of people don't read this section and you can often get a better answer in the specific section relevant to your question.

I have no experience with it and I didn't get a very good impression from writing back and forth with them but maybe look at Vincent. It's German-designed ChiFi. IIRC they have a tube hybrid DAC that might be more what you're looking for.

Just by the way I don't think the amp section on the RME covers all use cases. It drives my Audezes and Fostex very well but in my opinion it doesn't have the grunt for Sennheisers.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 13
Maybe ask in the dedicated source components section. You're supposed to post questions here like you did and not there, but a lot of people don't read this section and you can often get a better answer in the specific section relevant to your question.

I have no experience with it and I didn't get a very good impression from writing back and forth with them but maybe look at Vincent. It's German-designed ChiFi. IIRC they have a tube hybrid DAC that might be more what you're looking for.

Just by the way I don't think the amp section on the RME covers all use cases. It drives my Audezes and Fostex very well but in my opinion it doesn't have the grunt for Sennheisers.

Yeah I think I am going to ask there, thanks for the suggestion.

And no you misunderstood me, I don't want an amp/dac unit, I just want a stupid dac with a beefy analog section, the section that responsible for the DAC analog outs e.g. RCA or XLR.

Jan 21, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #11 of 13
Yeah, if I was in the market for a DAC right now, I’d be looking at the Audio-gd R1 or Denafrips Ares II.

Jan 22, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #13 of 13
There's a number of satisfied users of Schiit Bifrost 2, at $ 699 if I remember the price right. I haven't heard it, but those rumours sounds quite strong.

My current favorite is Khadas Tone Board, absolutely phenomenal DAC for $ 99, but just one output. I can tell you, it perfoms better then other 1K DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back