Looking for a Sony XB90EX alternative?
Jul 21, 2017 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mikez541

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

So just recently I lost my good pair of Sony mdr xb90ex. Since they are my favorite pair of earphones I went to Amazon to grab another pair but the price has more than tripled. I assume it's because production has ended.

So my question is does anyone know a good alternative to these earphones at around $100?

Jul 21, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 10
If you can explain what you like and don't like about them, it would be easier to help ☺ I'm not very familiar with those

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 10
I like lots of clean sounding bass. The xb90 is bass-head iem. It had lots of bass but maintained really good clarity throughout the mids and highs. The bass was also really clean and didn't bleed into the mids.

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 10
Did you end up getting anything?

I bought a pair of xb90ex's a few years ago and my dog ate them a few months ago. Ordered another pair, and she ate those about a month later.

I am missing having a good pair of IEM's. I am contemplating spending the $200 or so on another xb90 pair. But I'm also looking at others. I'm even contemplating the Shure se846's, as I found a good deal on them.
(I know, I know...my dog ate two pairs and I'm contemplating spending hundreds!? I learned my lesson...)

I like the deep bass and impact that the xb90's create, while having very clean and clear sounding mids and highs.

Any recommendations?

Aug 11, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 10
If you want deep bass, with amazing clarity with just a hint of grain, get the MDR-7550 or it's Japanese model MDR-EX800ST. Without any EQ, the bass from the 7550 is incredibly deep. The highs on the 7550 are rolled off and not as bright as either the EX600 or EX1000 (both excellent dynamic IEMs as well). The highs are still very clear just toned down. The result is a headphone that can still satisfy bassheads, but work well for all genres.

to note: there is a basshead IEM thread and the 7550 pretty much take the crown, even over the XB90.

I sold my 7550s but I'm interested in getting the Xb90s myself. Now, like yourselves, its too expensive. At the prices I see it go for, i may just pick up another 7550 or perhaps finally an Ex1000.

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #6 of 10
Man, I almost bit on the 7550's on multiple occasions, but I fear the sound isolation won't be up to my standard. I live in a very small house, so when my washer/ dryer are going, or the ac, or even just my girlfriend gaming next to me, I don't want to hear those things.

I hear all of those right through my mdrx10's, which are way too veiled for my taste, not to mention uncomfortable.

I do like Sony's sound signature...idk, maybe I will actually order them this time.

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 10
Man, I almost bit on the 7550's on multiple occasions, but I fear the sound isolation won't be up to my standard. I live in a very small house, so when my washer/ dryer are going, or the ac, or even just my girlfriend gaming next to me, I don't want to hear those things.

I hear all of those right through my mdrx10's, which are way too veiled for my taste, not to mention uncomfortable.

I do like Sony's sound signature...idk, maybe I will actually order them this time.
The Sony MDR 7550 is an absolutely wonderful in ear to own. It's bass is possibly the best bass of any in ear that I have tried, and that includes the Shure SE846 with bass filters. The mids are also very lush and full, and the treble extends decent enough with some roll off in the higher frequency ranges. It also sounds very clear and has a very wide soundstage for an in ear. Isolation is around average, not at the level of other iems such as Shure and Westone, but still good enough to isolate from most noises.

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #8 of 10
Well, I ended up getting a used pair of the xb90ex's. Found a sweet deal on Amazon, they were about $75.

They came in original packaging with everything included, right down to the shirt clip.

The tips went right into the garbage, and I cloroxed the heck out of them. I also had unopened tips from my last set of xb90's.

I could not be happier :D
They go into an extra Nintendo 3ds case I have, and then into my ottoman when not in use. Not messing around with them this time.

I will look for another pair down the road, probably as a Christmas present to myself, just to have another good pair of iem's. Ill keep the 7550's in mind when I do.

Happy listening everyone, and good luck to everyone else looking for a good pair!

Sep 18, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #9 of 10
o
Well, I ended up getting a used pair of the xb90ex's. Found a sweet deal on Amazon, they were about $75.

They came in original packaging with everything included, right down to the shirt clip.

The tips went right into the garbage, and I cloroxed the heck out of them. I also had unopened tips from my last set of xb90's.

I could not be happier :D
They go into an extra Nintendo 3ds case I have, and then into my ottoman when not in use. Not messing around with them this time.

I will look for another pair down the road, probably as a Christmas present to myself, just to have another good pair of iem's. Ill keep the 7550's in mind when I do.

Happy listening everyone, and good luck to everyone else looking for a good pair!
Do consider the Sony MDR 7550. To date it still has the best bass of any in ear that I have tried. It even beats the bass quality of the Shure SE846(all filters considered). It's just so deep and punchy and so fun to listen too!:beyersmile: Coupled that with the decent highs and marvelous mids and you get a wonderful package.

Sep 18, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 10
o
Do consider the Sony MDR 7550. To date it still has the best bass of any in ear that I have tried. It even beats the bass quality of the Shure SE846(all filters considered). It's just so deep and punchy and so fun to listen too!:beyersmile: Coupled that with the decent highs and marvelous mids and you get a wonderful package.
If your still looking, last week someone was selling XB90 for I think $70. I did not care for the XB90, but really like the 7550 and EX1000. If the XB90 are gone go the extra $ for the 7550.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back