Looking for a smooth warm sounding headphone
Dec 9, 2008 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JayB18

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new pair of headphones that will give me a full, warm sound that isn't fatiguing. I prefer bass that has good presence but isn't overwhelming and nice forward midrange. I don't want the highs to be emphasized (somewhat rolled off is ok though).

My sources are iPod with ZY iPod Dock and X-fi sound card. The only amp I have is the Meier 2move and my budget is $300. Any suggestions.

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 17
"Warm, Full sounding cans with somewhat rolled off highs" = Sennheiser cans.

The Sennheiser 595's are a bit more forward sounding than the 580/600/650's, they might be right for you.

Start doing research on threads for Senn phones on here and you'll probably find what you are looking for.

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 17
Sennheiser HD-600.

I've only had them a few weeks, but each time I put them on my head I appreciate them more. Really fantastic.

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 17
Thanks for the recommendations so far. I don't think the 2move will drive the HD600 very well though. Do the Sennheisers have a forward midrange? I keep reading they are laid back sounding and that is definitely something I don't want (if they mean the midrange is distant sounding).

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the recommendations so far. I don't think the 2move will drive the HD600 very well though. Do the Sennheisers have a forward midrange? I keep reading they are laid back sounding and that is definitely something I don't want (if they mean the midrange is distant sounding).

Sennheisers are sensitive to amplifiers. They're laid back until you give them some power with good damping. Then they come to life. I don't know if they'd do too well with the 2move. I had a HeadSix for awhile and didn't care for its performance with various Sennheisers or AKGs. If you're willing to buy a desktop amp, then yes, the HD-600 might be just what you're looking for.

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Huh, that's funny. That's the exact opposite of how I would describe the 600s. Very present midrange, but I was coming from a pair of DT-880s, so you might take that with a grain of salt.

And they don't seem to be as hard to power as I had assumed. I'm using a Little Dot MKII on the lowest gain setting (of 4 possible gain settings), and I still never turn the dial past ~20%, even on my most quiet music. I can't speak for the 2move, though.

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #9 of 17
Senn 595's have a more forward sound than the rest of the Senn linup. They sound great unamped, your 2MOVE will drive them just fine.

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #11 of 17
Sennheiser HD580 would be better because then u can also keep a budget for an amp.

Dec 9, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by danmagicman7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Senn 595's have a more forward sound than the rest of the Senn linup. They sound great unamped, your 2MOVE will drive them just fine.

I have a pair of HD595 and while they may sound more forward than HD600/650 they are not really warm and smooth, I find them quite neutral sounding with a touch of grain. DT990 is much more warm sounding and smoother but they also have sparkly highs and he wants rolled off highs so they probably won't do either.

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #13 of 17
ya... HD595 are the least warm of the HD555,HD580,HD600 and HD650 line up.

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #14 of 17
Yeah. DT990 and HD595 are out. The HD595 are not warm from what Ive read and while the DT990 has somewhat recessed mids. The HD580 and DT770 is also a bit recessed in the mids from what Ive been reading so they are out as well. HD650 is too expensive and has overwhelming bass.

It looks like Im down to the HD600 and the DT250 and both seem to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Yeah. DT990 and HD595 are out. The HD595 are not warm from what Ive read and while the DT990 has somewhat recessed mids. The HD580 and DT770 is also a bit recessed in the mids from what Ive been reading so they are out as well. HD650 is too expensive and has overwhelming bass.

It looks like Im down to the HD600 and the DT250 and both seem to be exactly what I'm looking for.

I wouldn't say the "HD650 has overwhelming bass" they are definitely a few notches away on the bass side of neutral, but it's not like you are overwhelmed by bass at all. It is too expensive but some deals can be had...Some people say the HD600 is light on bass...it's probably best to audition them if you can. They all need proper amplification. I own Grado's right now, but if I wanted something to fit your profile I'd look for a used HD600 or HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back