Looking for a similar sound to the Sony MDR-7506 but with a little more low end. Preferrably AKG.
Feb 21, 2014 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

OldSchool969

New Head-Fier
I've been using my set of MDRs for the past 4 or 5 years now but I think it's time to move on. They are primarily used for music production and occasional listening. The neutrality is great for production but they are more of a contrast to my KRK studio monitors so I'm looking for something that can match the low end ACCURATELY.
I had tried and returned a pair of headphones years ago, I cannot remember the brand or model for the life of me. But it had entirely too much low end, to a point where I felt like my head was in a pressure chamber. So I need the low end bumped up a tad from the MDRs, but as natural and accurate as possible (for producing).

I've always wanted to own a pair of AKGs, they seem to get good reception so if I could get starting recommendations for their cans if possible it would be much appreciated.

Also looking anywhere in the $60-$150 range.

EDIT: Closed phones only.

Thank you guys for the help.

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 15
KNS8400 if you're willing to replace the stock cable, which bears noise. It's very slightly bright, but it has sufficient bass quantity. Not particularly bassy: enough to hear that it's there. Also it's very clear. It reminds me of my K702.

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 15
  KNS8400 if you're willing to replace the stock cable, which bears noise. It's very slightly bright, but it has sufficient bass quantity. Not particularly bassy: enough to hear that it's there. Also it's very clear. It reminds me of my K702.

I too like the 8400, but I hear it as having less bass than the 7506.  The OP wants more bass than what he has.

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 15
Here are some frequency response measurements from headroom
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1513&graphID[]=533&graphID[]=2961&graphID[]=3661&scale=30

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 15
Feb 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 15
The charts show that its pretty balanced  aside from the sub bass bump. The bump is from about 0-80 hz so the beat of a song should be a bit louder than normal, which seems to be what oldschool969 is looking for.
My personal opinions (which may not be relevant because i'm not an audiophile):
Its pretty comfortable when you don't wear glasses.
The noise isolation is good
The overall sound seems to be neutral in terms of "color". It sounds a little warm with a zune hd and fiio e6, but i'm pretty sure thats the zune.
Overall clarity and detail seems very good to me
In terms of value,  the koss prodj100 seems to beat everything to me. The vocals sound very good because of the mid bump apparently. Imaging and detail are awesome for the price (I would say it beats the 280 pros in imaging). It sounds really good on pretty much any genre, especially jazz. The only problem for me is that the ear cups are small.

If you want even more bass there is the beyerdynamic dt770 (better comfort, more detail, and isolation than the m50s.)  and the audiotechnica athm50 (a little too bass heavy for me although bassheads would love it. Very comfortable)
I can't compare any of them against the krk 8400 because I haven't heard the krk. I can only try to imagine the sound signature through frequency response graphs. In the frequency response graphs, the krk8400 seems like the most bassy out of the headphones I mentioned.
http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID[0]=533&graphID[1]=2941&graphID[2]=713&graphID[3]=2961&scale=30&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #12 of 15

I can't compare any of them against the krk 8400 because I haven't heard them. I can only try to imagine the sound signature through frequency response graphs. In the frequency response graphs, the krk8400 seems like the most bassy out of the headphones I mentioned.

Several models don't sound anything like the charts. KNS8400 is one of them. It's not bassy at all. In fact, some think of it as bass light. It actually sounds crisp or very slightly bright. So we have to be careful when comparing charts, and to refer back to what we're hearing.

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #14 of 15
Several models don't sound anything like the charts. KNS8400 is one of them. It's not bassy at all. In fact, some think of it as bass light. It actually sounds crisp or very slightly bright. So we have to be careful when comparing charts, and to refer back to what we're hearing.

Thats true but,
The akg frequency responses seem to be accurate. Most people say they are bass light. The beyerdynamic dt770, audiotechnica athm50, sony mdrv6, and koss prodj100 sound like the graphs look like. The response charts are usually pretty accurate unless they got a defective item, or a product needs burn in.
Oh and by the way, the krks look pretty cool

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #15 of 15
Thats true but,
The akg frequency responses seem to be accurate. Most people say they are bass light. The beyerdynamic dt770, audiotechnica athm50, sony mdrv6, and koss prodj100 sound like the graphs look like. The response charts are usually pretty accurate unless they got a defective item, or a product needs burn in.
Oh and by the way, the krks look pretty cool

I agree with you about the others I've heard. I've noticed that the charts are usually pretty accurate, but that when they're off, they're *way* off. In those cases, we can suppose something went wrong with the machine, model, positioning, &c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back