Looking for a non-leaking closed headphone with a clean balanced signature under $50.
Apr 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

SilentxStatik24

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I know those are very specific variables but I have good reason. I just got some recent cash and want a hp that I can listen to while the family is asleep. I also want to get away from the sounds of the rp htf600 and the xb500 (both bassy phones). I also want a headphone that works well with indie rock, classical and jazz. If anyone has some suggestions, It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

ps: Please try to keep the hp under $50. I can go $60 but the ph has to be new and can be found easily. Thanks for reading.

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 32
I can't blame you for wanting to get away from those Panasonics.  I understand the UN is close to declaring them an instrument of torture.

Take a look at ljokerl's review of the Beyerdynamic DT235 in his long thread about portables.  See if they are what you are looking for.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-101-portable-headphones-reviewed-skullcandy-mix-master-added-04-06-12
The DT235 is about $50 now at Amazon.

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 32
Can't you increase your budget? How much are the Shure 440's in america? The fostex TH-7 could be another option.

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 32
@RayleighSilvers

Those Panny's are on my all time list of disliked headphones.  Though I did actually find a second set that was worse recently.  I originally thought only the Sony MDR V150's were worse, but I'm adding the JVC HA-RX300 as another that really stinks it up.  One of my relatives has that JVC and let me borrow them for a while.  Whoof.

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 32

Quote:
@RayleighSilvers

Those Panny's are on my all time list of disliked headphones.  Though I did actually find a second set that was worse recently.  I originally thought only the Sony MDR V150's were worse, but I'm adding the JVC HA-RX300 as another that really stinks it up.  One of my relatives has that JVC and let me borrow them for a while.  Whoof.

I couldn't disagree more. Best bargain in headphones IMO...

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 32
Do the velvour pads for the rp htf600 change the sound into a more balanced signature? I might get those but, I think the promenient bass will still be there. I'm looking for a can that loves everything the same. lows, mids and highs.

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 32

Quote:
Do the velvour pads for the rp htf600 change the sound into a more balanced signature? I might get those but, I think the promenient bass will still be there. I'm looking for a can that loves everything the same. lows, mids and highs.

I tried the velour pads on the htf's but it just didn't do it for me. Many people say that it does just what you asked for. More balanced with tighter bass. For me it was hollow and muddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back