Looking for a new pair of headphones
Jul 12, 2010 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Naphta

New Head-Fier
Right, well I currently have Sennheiser HD555's. Which are nice, I like them etc but I've gotten a refund while I could because of the cracking on them (Onto my second pair from Amazon which are soon to be refunded)

I'd like something which has a good fit, and decent bass. For mainly gaming and music. (I generally listen to music with pretty heavy bass. e.g. Pendulum)

My budget is a maximum of £120, ideally closer to £100. Ah yes, while I'm here, also looking for a sound card to go with them as my old one is going to a new home.

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #2 of 11
have a look at the Audo technica m50 as i gues you dont wanna amp them? they are around £110 new. 
as for a sound card, you get more value for money with an external DAC
potentially the nuforce uDAC or emu 0404 are considered good budget DACs

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
have a look at the Audo technica m50 as i gues you dont wanna amp them? they are around £110 new. 
as for a sound card, you get more value for money with an external DAC
potentially the nuforce uDAC or emu 0404 are considered good budget DACs

Using an amp could be something I can do in the future, but no plans at the mo.

I'm fine using open headphones too 'slong as they sound OK. About a DAC, I'm fine using a sound card or DAC, to be perfectly honest whatever sounds best for the price.

Oh yes, having trouble finding a good etailer for headphone etc. I did see the Asus D2X, but I have a feeling it may be overkill?

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 11
A huge bang for buck soundcard if your priority is music over gaming is the Asus Xonar Essence STX. For the other way around the Auzentech Forte is great. I'm not sure how the M50 does with gaming, but it's supposed to be pretty decent for music.

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 11
The M50s are a good all around set of 'phones with some kicking bass.  The Shure 750DJs may be worth looking into.  They look good on paper and have received some positive reviews lately.  I don't have any first hand experience with them though, and they may be more expensive across the pond.  Running a straight currency conversion, they should be in your budget though.

If your main priorities are music and/or non-FPS gaming, you may want to consider the Sony XB700s.  They are very bass heavy though and go best with music that has a lot of bass in it or not much at all.  Things in the middle ground tend to get a little muddied up, and they probably won't have the soundstage you'd need to hear someone sneak up behind you.

As for the soundcard, the options mentioned by Mr Joboto should be good choices.  I don't have firsthand experience with either, but if the specification are withing and order of magnitude of honesty, they should both make very good DACs for when/if you decide to get an separate amp and the built in amps should power any of the 'phones I've mentioned in the meantime.

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 11
The Asus / M50 is a great combo for me and my sonic tastes.
The Xonar has more than enough power for these, and it's DAC's are excellent!

shane

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
The Asus / M50 is a great combo for me and my sonic tastes.
The Xonar has power more than enough power for these, and it's DAC's are excellent!

shane

Agreed...i see it the best way to go. 
Otherwise get the Udac...

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 11
Been having trouble finding an etailer which sells the straight cabled version that looks reputable. Could anyone point me in a decent direction? Either near Birmingham or Europe based (Basically, if I can buy in person or online easily)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back