Looking for a new pair of headphones! Assistance appreciated
Sep 19, 2011 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Remus Lupin

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I am new to the forums and am looking to purchase a new pair of headphones.

Right now I use a pair of Audio Technica ATH-PRO5MSA http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/12e12d2eae19de14/index.html

However, they are getting a little old and I was looking to upgrade. I WAS looking at getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/1367/14

Now I am not so sure, after reading a couple reviews I realized that although I enjoy all types of music these may not be the best for me as I enjoy listening to a lot of bass heavy songs. 

I plan on using them with a 160GB iPod classic (7th Gen) with a LOD hooked up to a cMoy portable amp (which I have yet to purchase) http://www.jdslabs.com/products.php?page=cmoy

Here is my question, within the general price range of the head phones above what are some other suggestions (keeping in mind I would prefer something that is a little more bass heavy?)

Edit: Of course this is highly subjective, but do YOU feel that from a practical perspective that the Sennheiser HD 598's offer enough bass? By comparison I have used my friends Solo HD's (Dr. Dre) powered by an iPod with no amp, and that bass was sufficient.

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 5
Heya,

Bass heavy? Oh yes.

Since you did not specify explicitly, I assume the budget is about ~$200 USD? Other criteria are simply bassy. And from inference, it looks like you're ok with open-air or closed back perhaps as you have one and linked another.

If the Solo HD's bass was sufficient, I imagine you'd be very much enjoying something with some quality bass that has some reverb to it but also enough low end to really get into the sub bass, but still has enough impact to let you feel it.

The HD598 is a good headphone, excellent, and has decent bass, but I would not really call it a bassy headphone by any stretch. It has good bass. But not basshead level bass. Though I do care to differentiate that there is mid-bass basshead and sub-bass basshead. I'm the later myself (to my discovery after trying so many bassy headphones). So it depends what you're looking for in sound.

Some suggestions for you in order of price ranges:

Panasonic RP-HTF600 - A closed headphone, very bassy, both sub and mid bass, lush mids and smooth treble. It's an inexpensive headphone but sounds like it should cost quite a bit more. It's comfortable, made pretty sturdy and rugged, and has decent style (though not classy, and not goofy) with some nice touches like brushed aluminum backs. $30 shipped (retail $60). I mention it, because it's quite a nice sound, even though the price may not indicate it's class--it's not priced appropriately at all if sound and construction truly were the determination of cost.

Sony XB500 - A closed headphone, very bass (both sub & mid bass), with veiled dark mids & treble, but can be equalized up to give it a more balanced sound while retaining the great bass. The construction is ok, and the pads are very soft and comfortable, though it has a very short cord. It does come with a carry bag. Usually runs $50 new shipped.

Shure SRH750 DJ - A closed back, DJ styled headphone in construction, that is bassy for a Shure with good mids and smoothed out treble. Nice stile and comfortable. Comes in around $115 shipped new.

Fischer Audio FA-011 - An open headphone, bassy, great mids & treble, comfortable, wood back, retro style and only $118 (+$20 shipping out of Russia). It's not a basshead headphone necessarily, but it is quite bassy (mid bass) and worth taking a look at in this price range for sure.

Roc Nation Aviators - A closed headphone, bassy (mid bass), generous mids and a smooth treble. Doesn't get a lot of love around here, because of it's manufacturing name, but it is actually a decent headphone with an interesting style and color options (I'm partial to the brown one myself). Usually runs around $130 shipped or so.

Ultrasone HFI 580 - A closed headphone that has a nice big mid-bass hump, good mids and tight treble. Has a nice sound stage for a closed phone and it is built pretty well and looks nice, comfort is ok. Usually runs around $130 or so shipped new.

Denon D1100 - A closed headphone, bassy (both sub & mid bass), with nice smooth mids & treble. It has good isolation and comfort, looks classy, and has a nice cord (and extension) with a carry bag. Usually runs around $140 shipped at various places when on sale.

BeyerDynamic DT770 PRO - A closed headphone, bassy (mid bass) with good mids and detailed treble. Velour padding, very comfortable, good isolation, and the style is nice and simple with a good rugged construction and a long cord. Usually runs around $170 new shipped (sales and refurbs can be lower).

This is only a sample of some good bassy headphone in that price range you mentioned. There are quite a few more.

From there, it's something to look into, further narrow down your criteria, style and budget to what may suite you.

Very best,

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 5
HD598 are called bass light around here. I found them to have FUN bass, but not great bass.

It's best to skip on the amp and buy a single headphone with your entire budget that doesn't need one.

Look at the Ultrasone line up, Pro750 runs around at $225 and will give you all the bass you want without the need for a amp.

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 5
Thank you both for your responses. This is becoming harder than I thought it was going to be! It might take me a few days to decide on a pair. Style is important for me. But that does not seem to be an issue as the Denon D1100 mentioned is very stylish as well as the Ultrasone Pro750 linked by BotByte. 

I was actually looking at the BeyerDynamic DT990 PRO while I was waiting for responses. Now I am torn further. 

I am known for going OVER my budget. Having said that, I am now looking at the Ultrasone Pro900 WITH the original amplifier I mentioned.

BotByte: Do you think it is worth going with the Pro900 over the Pro750? (I would use the above amp with both - I am getting it for an overall sound quality increase and to fully utilize the potential of the headphones, I was NOT buying it just to improve the bass of the 598s)

Thanks in advance for any more help!

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 5
Heya,

If you're looking to up the budget, two headphones come up immediately:

PRO900 if you want serious impact and pounding with great mid bass and some good sub bass. It has significantly recessed mids but very detailed and sometimes bright treble, and a good sound stage. They're classy and look nice too.

Denon D2000 if you want something with a flat gorgeous bass line that goes down low while staying the same volume, for a more accurate but satisfying bass that is the same in the mid and sub bass areas (I prefer that myself for example). Also very good mids and good treble with a decent sound stage, looks classy, and has a nice sheathed cable too.

Both are very easy to drive, so any amplifier will essentially do it for you.

I liked both. I prefer the D2000 overall though, as it has more ability for all genres than the PRO900 to my ears due to it's mids.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back