Looking for a multimeter
Feb 26, 2008 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Firam

500+ Head-Fier
I have gotten tired of the multimeters in my circuit lab not working, so I think I should buy my own. Everybody should have a multimeter anyway though right?

I don't know what I want. I know that Fluke is a very good brand but expensive.

As far a features, I don't need more than the basics, DC voltage, DC current, AC voltage, AC current (maybe), capasitance, Beta test, Diode, Resistance. A lit display is good too. Inductance, temperature, frequency are optional.

What do you use?

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 9
This is the one that I have and I am real happy with it:
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Some folks recommend the even cheaper meter at HarborFreight:
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

If you have a bunch more money, then by all means go with a Fluke.
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 9
I've gotten some very good deals on meters through Ebay. It takes some watching and waiting but was worth it to me. Otherwise there are a multitude of threads here that you can search for.

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 9
I bought the INNOVA 3320 auto-raning digital multimeter at Walmart a month or so ago when I was building a few Cmoys. Does everthing I need it to do: test battereis, trace voltage flows, match resistors, and check continuity. The unit probably cost around $20. This will last me for a long time.

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 9
I think they're discontinued, but see if you can turn up a used Fluke 12. I used one for years until I picked up the 187. It's a good meter, and I much prefer Fluke to anything but the HP benchtop gear.

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they're discontinued, but see if you can turn up a used Fluke 12. I used one for years until I picked up the 187. It's a good meter, and I much prefer Fluke to anything but the HP benchtop gear.

This advice is getting to be outdated. I watched ebay fairly diligently for that model, and also that Craftsmen model that was actually a Fluke, for several months. I only saw two instances of them being there, and they ended up going for like $65. Might as well save yourself the trouble and spend $15 more on an actual brand-new Fluke.

Feb 27, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 9
The advice in the tangent article is excellent. The only recommendations I'd add are find something with selectable auto-ranging (auto-ranging or fixed range), and continuity buzzer.

I've ended up with 4 meters:

Fluke 79 - bought this new about 20 years ago. At the time, it was the top of the line non-RMS Fluke. In addition to the standard functions, it does diodes, frequency, and capacitance. The most useful non-standard feature is the continuity buzzer, which makes checking for cold solder joints, or buzzing out a cable real easy, and doesn't require looking away from your work. It's still my go-to for anything not at the workbench, and gets used at the bench a lot too.

Fluke 22 - this showed up at a local hamfest (flea-market) for $20, and was just too good of a deal to pass up. I mainly use it as a backup or if I'm making multiple voltage/current measurements, when it's faster to grab a second set of probes than move from the voltage to the current socket.

Fluke 8842A - These show up regularly on e-Bay for around $200, new price was $1000+. It's a 5 1/2 digit, 200,000 count bench-top meter with 4 wire resistance. It's great for things like resistor matching. I wouldn't recommend it as your first or only meter, as it has a few quirks (as do all of the high-accuracy meters), but If you're looking for an affordable high-accuracy meter, this is it. It also has no extra functions (AC/DC V, A, and Ohms only, and the AC was an option).

no-name PRC meter - I think this was about $5, it was actually given to me. I keep it around because it has a transistor tester built in.

hope this was helpful

nine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back