Looking for a headphone for Macbook Pro
Jan 14, 2007 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

saint.panda

Headphoneus Supremus
Maybe Sennheiser HD 595 or Grados? I've recently realized that more than half of my listening time is spent on my Macbook Pro speakers and the other half using speakers, and only about 5% using my HD650. I don't have a headphone amp (edit: anymore) and don't plan on buying one either.

Has anybody had positive experiences with a particular set of headphones in combination with the Macbook Pro's headphone outs? Can be open or closed. The HD650 sounds rather thin and the KSC-35 doesn't give me enough soundstage. I've also considered the A900 but those things are huge and something a bit smaller would be nice.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jan 14, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 26
The HD595s will give you a powerful and refined sound on your Macbook pro. I had that combo for a while and unfortunately sold the HD595 for the HD595s, now I'm here upscaling my HD650 with amp and source upgrages, and 800 dollars later, it finally sounds better than just a HD595 on my MBP. Just a tip, the Beyerdynamic DT880 sounds a lot like a improved HD595, so if you can find one at 32 ohms, then I would jump on that.

Jan 14, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 26
grados will give you a powerful and really full thick sound, but they gave me ringing ears as I have sensitive high frequency hearing. I would recommend a MS-1 from Alessandro if you're looking to go grado. The comfort is much higher on the senn hd595 though.

Jan 14, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 26
Thanks. The DT880 is something I didn't think of. Is the Macbook Pro's headphone out powerful enough for the 32 Ohm DT880s?

I don't mind Grados in general, I've had the entire line except for the RS-2 and old SR325, which was terrible. Just don't know how they sound with the Macbook.

Jan 14, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 26
Are you sure a portable amp isn't acceptable? You already have the HD-650, which you like. So instead of buying another pair which you may or may not like, you could pick up something like the HeadRoom Total Airhead for $150 and keep using the cans you like. The portables are small, and would not be much different than taking your laptop charger with you.

Jan 14, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 26
Unfortunately, yes. I've tried portable amps in the past but it's just too cumbersome for me and I often use the Macbook on my lap without a place to place the amp.

Jan 15, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #7 of 26
I actually drove a 2003 dt880 which is rated at 250 ohms out of my MBP with finess, so I would imagine that 32 ohms would be driven even better. If you can grab the 2003 version of the dt880, do it!!!! it's such a bargain right now. The portable amp isn't a bad idea, I have a go-vibe v5 and it cleans up the signal a bit and drives senns with ease, that might just be your ticket. New cans are so much more apealing, although I do have to say that the right amp/dac can make all the difference with your HD650.

Jan 16, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 26
I use macs, including a macbook pro. I have tried a number of configurations, but believe that the following are fair statements:

1) Unamped, a macbook pro is no better/worse/different than an iPod. IEMs are fine. Grado 60s, Senn HD555 will be OK. I'm sure that there are other headphones that efficient. I would not use Senn 600s or 650s. Nor would I use any Grados above the 60s.The power just is not there. Buy a small amp. If you need a portable, either Headroom or Ray Samuels are fine.

2) The optical out, connected to a DAC and AMP is awesome. Try it. Use that airport card to connect wirelessly to a server. Use the optical out with a DAC and amp and you have a audiophile system.

3) Upload CDs either uncompressed or in Apple Lossless. If you are listening to MP3s, no headphone can really help you.

Good Luck.

Jan 16, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 26
I think I'll just give the new 32 Ohm DT880 or DT990 a try. That was a good tip.

Jan 16, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruppin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3) Upload CDs either uncompressed or in Apple Lossless. If you are listening to MP3s, no headphone can really help you.

i thought mp3's were decent enough to play...
tongue.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

I use macs, including a macbook pro. I have tried a number of configurations, but believe that the following are fair statements:

1) Unamped, a macbook pro is no better/worse/different than an iPod. IEMs are fine. Grado 60s, Senn HD555 will be OK. I'm sure that there are other headphones that efficient. I would not use Senn 600s or 650s. Nor would I use any Grados above the 60s.The power just is not there. Buy a small amp. If you need a portable, either Headroom or Ray Samuels are fine.

2) The optical out, connected to a DAC and AMP is awesome. Try it. Use that airport card to connect wirelessly to a server. Use the optical out with a DAC and amp and you have a audiophile system.

Good Luck.

good advice

Jan 18, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 26
The setup described in my sig sound great to my ears.

Simply the MacBook Pro Optical out -> XTRA X-1 Portable Amp -> HD595

The amp definitly helps the bass and soundstage when compared to just hooking the headphones up to the standard optical out. Plus it's fairly portable. I think my next upgrade is the Echo Indigo DJ to improve whatever built in DAC there is in the computer - I was looking at external DAC's and actually purchased the "DAC in a box" but wasn't happy with how it fit in my system. Even though it was certainly the most portable external DAC I could find it was too clumsy.

Jan 18, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Good Luck.

Excellent response to which I'll add...

1) I have been reasonably pleased with a macbook driving a Senn HD595 and even more happy when it is paired with a HD25-1.

2) I can't get over how great the macbook sounds through optical out > Headroom microdac > Hornet. I listen to that combo way more than I would have predicted because of the convenience and diminishing audio returns from my nonportable and more pricey gear.

3) I have blithely been ripping at 224 AAC lately with quite satisfactory results (to my ears).

Jan 18, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #14 of 26
Can it really be that He of the greatest (and by far longest) review ever to appear on head-fi doesn't own an amp? I'm stunned.

Well s.p, if you're against dragging a portable amp around with you, have you at least tried a USB thumb-size sound controller like a TBAAM? That will give you far greater output (essentially a 5 volt amp) than the headphone outs, and not really take up any space to speak of. Moreover the sound quality will likely improve from the stock headphone out. It's certainly very much better than a macbook I heard recently. Also such a device is cheap enough that it's not a very risky investment.

best,
FV

Jan 18, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #15 of 26
Seriously, I really don't want an amp. I apologize for not being specific enough in my first post. I don't have an amp anymore mainly because I've never grown to like portable amps (too much of a hassle) and at home I usually listen to speakers these days. I was just looking for a pair of efficient and very good sounding headphones that pair well with the Macbook for whenever it's getting late either at the university or at home. And since I don't seem to have a designated sitting place at home, an amp is not feasible here either.

facelvega, thanks that you liked the review although I honestly think that darth nut's Omega II review is still the one to beat both content-wise and in style.

I agree that the Macbook has a very nice optical out, but a DAC would be even less practical for me. I'm currently using my Airport to send digital data to the Apogee Mini-Dac and then to my speakers, but it's really the Macbook's simplicity and portability that grew on me, so I don't want to compromise that by hooking up something to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff E /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) I have been reasonably pleased with a macbook driving a Senn HD595 and even more happy when it is paired with a HD25-1.

Very interesting. So you prefer the HD 25-1 to the HD595 driven from the Macbook? Unfortunately, I don't have access to a HD 595.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back