looking for a good beginning kit for a good headphone amp or a DAC
Aug 16, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #76 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel
Populate the cascade set later because hunting down bugs is easier when it's not Class-A yet.

As for socketing the resistors, you can probably socket all of them.

I would probably consider socketing R10 (Class-A Bias) and R11 (Buffer bandwidth).

Trust me, it's a real pain in the ass if you don't socket the resistors and find out you put the wrong value in the wrong place.

thanks... yeah, I found a pic of a socketed PIMETA and it has everything socketed... all the resisters, the buffers and the op-amps... that's what I'm going to do I think. I started cutting apart the SIP socets that I got... the tough part is catching them... I lost 2 somewhere on the other side of the room.... LOL

Aug 16, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #77 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2
thanks... yeah, I found a pic of a socketed PIMETA and it has everything socketed... all the resisters, the buffers and the op-amps... that's what I'm going to do I think. I started cutting apart the SIP socets that I got... the tough part is catching them... I lost 2 somewhere on the other side of the room.... LOL

I think you just answered your own question about installing the JFET cascode.

If you socket R10 then there is no reason to wait to install it later.
wink.gif

FWIW I would not socket any of R1 or R2 positions on any of the channels.

Aug 16, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #79 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
FWIW I would not socket any of R1 or R2 positions on any of the channels.

why not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel
Try it with an exacto knife, it works pretty well. I've tried with wire cutters and they FLY. Just a warning, don't use a dremel cutting bit, you'll melt the damn thing, i've tried.

lol... yeah, I used a utility knife, never tried anything else. it was pretty easy, I only lost one pair of 2. I did ruin 3 pins, but out of about 25 that's not too bad.

Aug 16, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #81 of 100
you have a point
biggrin.gif

the pic I'm looking at has them socketed... but they shouldn't need to be changed ever.

hmm... I already did cut the sockets to size so I might socket them, but maybe I won't

Aug 16, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #82 of 100
alright. I have some C1 caps and it says to cut the trace connecting the pads... is this the trace that goes from one pad to the other? (I assume so, but I just want to make sure!)

and if I want to be able to see the LED can I just solder some longer leads on it and then heatshrink the leads?

Aug 17, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #83 of 100
Quote:

the pic I'm looking at has them socketed...

What are you trying to tell me?
That you can only copy other people stuff or somthing like that?
Cause if that is the case this picture aught to really help out a bunch.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

HHAboardbig.jpg

Quote:

alright. I have some C1 caps and it says to cut the trace connecting the pads... is this the trace that goes from one pad to the other? (I assume so, but I just want to make sure!)

Yes.

Quote:

and if I want to be able to see the LED can I just solder some longer leads on it and then heatshrink the leads?

Yup.

Aug 17, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #84 of 100
no, I don't have to just copy what others have done... it's just that this is my first amp so I'm taking all the help I can get and am going slow. btw... thanks for the help! (if you weren't actually helping I might have gotten mad at that comment though... lol)

alright, well my laptop crapped out so I've had to build this thing on my computer desk... and my wife needed to get in here to do some stuff for school so I had to clean everything up... I guess I'll finish her up tomorrow

Aug 17, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #86 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos
PIMETA clone???

It's the PIMETA, he just soldered everything on the opposite side of the board...

Aug 18, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #87 of 100
I'm doing the casework... had to get a couple new drill bit... oh well.

but since I'm building a desktop PIMETA, I chose to have RCA type inputs and each rca has jack has it's own ground. I'm using 24gague wire and I can only fir 1 wire in the IG spot on the board.
Should I
a. use one wire and connect to both grounds by soldering to one and then use a shorter wire to the other
b. use one wire at the board and split into 2 wires shortly thereafter
c. try to fit 2 wires into the board by using 26gague wire
d. something else

Aug 18, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #88 of 100
Quote:

I'm doing the casework... had to get a couple new drill bit... oh well.

but since I'm building a desktop PIMETA, I chose to have RCA type inputs and each rca has jack has it's own ground. I'm using 24gague wire and I can only fir 1 wire in the IG spot on the board.
Should I
a. use one wire and connect to both grounds by soldering to one and then use a shorter wire to the other
d. something else

When I have one input ground pad and two RCA jacks, I usually solder the jack grounds together and then take that to IG. If you want to use separate ground wires (and there may be some separation/shielding benefits to that) you might be able to remove some strands frrom 22ga or 24ga wire and twist them together into a small enough package to fit into the pads.

Aug 18, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #89 of 100
Quote:

Should I
d. something else

A.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want to get creative you can always use two wires... one to each connector.
Then connect one wire to the IG hole and the other wire to the PG hole.
If you need to ground the pot loosen one of the screws and use a piece of wire to connect it to IG2 hole.

Aug 18, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #90 of 100
well my ad843 op-amps are running pretty warm, but I've read that they do that... and (drumroll....)

it works!
biggrin.gif
I'm now listening to Falling Up 'Dawn Escapes,' one of the greatest bands I have discovered in the last year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back