looking for a decent lively can...
Feb 2, 2009 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

MRSHUTHEHELLUP

New Head-Fier
i just bought a new entertainment laptop and im looking for a decent heaphone for music and watching movies. i go on tour alot... sooo i need a heaphone thats very comfortable. i listen to mostly death and black metal. i plan on getting an amp later. for sound, i need solid kick-drum, smooth highs, and killer midrange. my budget is $200

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 21
I would say go grado, 100%. SR225s are great for the music you described. A lot of people have comfort issues with them though, so it would probably be best if you could audition them first. Or you could buy them from Headroom, because they have a great 30 money back guarantee. Otherwise, I have heard good things about the dt770 but I have never heard them.

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say go grado, 100%. SR225s are great for the music you described. A lot of people have comfort issues with them though, so it would probably be best if you could audition them first. Or you could buy them from Headroom, because they have a great 30 money back guarantee. Otherwise, I have heard good things about the dt770 but I have never heard them.

those SR225's look pretty good but im kinda concerned with comfort issues

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #5 of 21
SR225, D2000, to great choices, i'm gonna say Sennheiser HD25-1. i've not heard the D2000, and i only got up to the 125's, but cmoparing the d1000's against the grado's the grado's were more 'lively'

i've got nothing good to say about the Grado comfort though, and the Sennheiser HD414 ear pad mod would be a must.

thde denon are comfy, but i do love the HD25-1. build quality wise, if you're on the road a lot, i'd go for the HD's.

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Otherwise, I have heard good things about the dt770 but I have never heard them.

I can't praise mine enough.

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #9 of 21
The A900's isolate rather well, they do a good job with most genre's of music to. I used to listen to mine with Metal/Punk/Dance etc and was never really disappointed. Great for gaming
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 21
Another vote for Grados here. Based on what you listen to, you'd love them.

Don't freak out too much about comfort. I worried about that before buying and it turned out to be a non-issue. I washed the bowls with soap and hot water a few times and they've been comfy since. I think the majority of owners don't have comfort issues, it's just that those who do are extremely vocal about it. That makes it sound worse than it, in my opinion, actually is.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for Grados here. Based on what you listen to, you'd love them.

Don't freak out too much about comfort. I worried about that before buying and it turned out to be a non-issue. I washed the bowls with soap and hot water a few times and they've been comfy since. I think the majority of owners don't have comfort issues, it's just that those who do are extremely vocal about it. That makes it sound worse than it, in my opinion, actually is.

WHICH GRAOS SHOULD I CONSIDER?

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #12 of 21
325i is truly the can for metal. That is why it is made of metal. I'm not really sure what you mean by death and black metal, but I listen to everything from Lamb of God to S.O.D. (along with your standard PanterA, motorhead, white zombie, Anthrax, old school metallica, ministry, Black Sabbath even some Testament and Crowbar, etc) with the 325is and they are pretty ridiculous.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 225s, but you may be able to swing a pair of used 325is for around your budget.

I actually find them some of the most comfortable phones (with flats or comfies) and I have them on pretty much all day.

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #13 of 21
Grados are terrible for most black metal IMHO... its overly colored presentation, poor soundstage and bright nature ruins a lot of black metal songs when it comes to the atmosphere. The Grados perform well for the thrash, progressive and death metal, but black metal requires something more subtle and better at setting up the atmosphere. I'll suggest the AD700 instead, its airyness is terrific for death and black metal. Or if you are looking for a more portable option, the ES7.

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #14 of 21
I don't follow why 'airyness' would be a requirement for death metal. In fact, I completely disagree. In no way is death metal better (or supposed to be) airy or open. Provided we are talking about the same type of music. (?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back