Looking for a dark mp3 player
Sep 12, 2011 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

antonyfirst

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys,

it's long time since I have been posting on the portables forum. I am looking for a mp3 player (or portable source in general) for commuting, I'd like it to be very, very warm, as dark as possible.
I currently own a Sony A846, and although it has no roll off in the bass, it's an extremely cold and bright player, the highs are too pronounced and extended, making it sound unnatural and cold.

I have been slightly interested in the Cowon J3, although it itself might not be enough for my requirements.

I am leaving out HifiMan HM602 and HM801 for this time: I know they would fit my bill, but they are too big for the current purpose...

Any ideas?

Cheers!
Tony

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 18
Of all the players i own , Sony A726 is darkest. I've heard A846 & although i wont call it bright definitely has more sparkle & extension than A726. With A846 what i found is @ volumes below 12-13 frequency balance is very nice but with increase in volume bass & mids do not amplify as much as treble section & hence brightness.
The sony A726 i use can be made really dark if you set service menu(not eq) as -9@7.5/15khz.

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 18
Sep 14, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 18
Sep 15, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
Hi guys,

it's long time since I have been posting on the portables forum. I am looking for a mp3 player (or portable source in general) for commuting, I'd like it to be very, very warm, as dark as possible.
I currently own a Sony A846, and although it has no roll off in the bass, it's an extremely cold and bright player, the highs are too pronounced and extended, making it sound unnatural and cold.

I have been slightly interested in the Cowon J3, although it itself might not be enough for my requirements.

I am leaving out HifiMan HM602 and HM801 for this time: I know they would fit my bill, but they are too big for the current purpose...

Any ideas?

Cheers!
Tony

Quote:

If a DAP with a darker smoother sound signature is what you're after.  Then, look no further than Hifiman's HM-601.  It boasts a warm almost analog like sound signature.  Here are a couple articles that go more in depth into Hifiman's DAPs-http://www.headfonia.com/hm-601-and-hm-602/, http://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-hm-602-hi-fi-dap-perfected/

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 18
Hi Tony, I agree the A845 is pretty bright, especially with balanced armatures:

(RMAA graph courtesy of dfkt)

Out of the DAPs I've heard (iPod Classic, Sony A845, Sansa Fuze, Cowon i9, Samsung R0, Creative Zen MX, iRiver E10) the Cowon is the warmest and smoothest, though I still wouldn't call it dark.

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
Quote:

That's what I get for not reading the OP through.
tongue_smile.gif
  And here I was wondering why no one suggested Hifiman's players!

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
That's what I get for not reading the OP through.
tongue_smile.gif
  And here I was wondering why no one suggested Hifiman's players!

lol.....I figured that must be what happened..
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 18
Hey guys

Thanks a lot. I would like to skip eq completely: in my experience, it always sucked for me with dap's and I have always come back to normal settings...
Any graphs for that Sony 7x6 player?
The J3 looks indeed pretty balanced, and so does also the Samsung, which surprised me...
Curious about all options!!

Thanks
Tony

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #14 of 18
Hey there, good to see you posting around here again!

How about the Sony X1060? Perhaps look for one second-hand in Europe? To me it sounds very mellow yet detailed, with nicely extended treble with no trace of harshness introduced by the source. 

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #15 of 18
The older Zune 30GB HDD is a very warm, dark player, and it has more native power than the Fuze / Clip players.  It makes my ER-4P sound pretty full by itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back