Looking for a dark mp3 player
Oct 1, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #16 of 18
Hey Chris

The thing is that I have no evidence that the X and the A846 will sound different, although some say so, because in theory they use the same digital amp.... and if I rexall correctly, a digital amp first amplifies the digital signal, then it converts it to analogue as final stage, so it works as both amp and dac... so why should things be different? I am sincerely asking

Btw thanks for the kind words, I have never abandoned audio but I had lost touch from headfi for the most part for more than one year!!

Cheers
Tony

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #17 of 18

Quote:
The new Sony NWZ-A866 should fit the bill.

Sorry, no - I have the A865 (same as the 866, but only 16GB) and it is considerably brigher / more digital sounding than the older X series...  I have yet to hear any DAP that sounds more analogue than the X1000 (at least out of the Sony stable)...

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #18 of 18

Quote:
Hey Chris
The thing is that I have no evidence that the X and the A846 will sound different, although some say so, because in theory they use the same digital amp.... and if I rexall correctly, a digital amp first amplifies the digital signal, then it converts it to analogue as final stage, so it works as both amp and dac... so why should things be different? I am sincerely asking
Btw thanks for the kind words, I have never abandoned audio but I had lost touch from headfi for the most part for more than one year!!
Cheers
Tony

Hey Tony--

I figured you'd never lose touch with audio... once you're hooked, there's no going back! 

I wish I could answer your concerns more technically. I haven't heard the A846, so can't comment personally. I've read the same things that there is a small difference between the X and the A846, with the latter being a little brighter. No facts to support that though!

Good luck with your search. Look forward to seeing what you decide on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back