Looking for a closed-back upgrade from HI2050
Jul 24, 2018 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Shelvo

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I love my Takstar HI2050 headphones, but I just moved in with a bunch of roommates and we will frequently be sharing study space so I figured that open backs were not the way to go. Additionally, I have a bit more a budget to play with now, so I figured it was time for an upgrade.

Let me explain a bit about my headphone history so that you can get an idea of what I like/dislike. I started off with a pair of Gemini HSR-1000 phones and I really liked them, I loved how immersive the sound was. Those broke, so I decided to try upgrading to the Sennheiser Momentum. This was the first generation on-ear version, and I did not like them at all. To me, they sounded very artificial, didn't have much of a sense of space, and did not accurately reproduce the timbre of the instruments in the music that I liked. Although they were the slightest bit more detailed than the Geminis, they just didn't cut it for me. So, I returned the Senns and decided to buy the HI2050s. I love these headphones: they are comfortable to wear for hours on end and even if the sound is less immersive than the closed-back Geminis it is nearly perfectly balanced for my tastes (overall I like the sound of the HI2050 better than the HSR-1000). The soundstage is wonderful as well.

I thought my upgrade was going to be to the NAD Viso HP50, so I bought a pair of those. While I did enjoy how they sound (details and instrument separation were for sure better than the HI2050 plus they had just a bit more oomph on the low end without being distorted or overpowering), they do not fit my head. With the smallest adjustment size, there is about half an inch of space between the top of my head and the bottom of the headband. The only way I could properly enjoy the sound was by pressing the earcups into their proper place with my hands, and clearly this is not going to work for studying.

Here are a few models that I'm considering:
  • Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm
    • I'm worried these are too bass-heavy for my tastes
  • Sennheiser HD 569
    • I can't seem to find much information about these but I do like what I have heard about them. If they can accurately reproduce the timbre of orchestral instruments then I might buy these.
However, I want some more suggestions from people who know the lay of the land better than I do.

TL;DR
I'm looking for a pair of circumaural, closed-back headphones. They don't have to be portable (I prioritize comfort over portability). I prefer a balanced sound signature with good timbre reproduction. My main genres are electronic, film/game scores, classical, and instrumental jazz, though my tastes are a bit eclectic (just no pop or rap). Budget is $250 or less (ideally around $150 but don't let that stop you from suggesting something more expensive).

Thanks in advance for your help! I really appreciate the Head-Fi community :)

Jul 24, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 7
You should consider DT770 (250 Ohm) which is typically flatter than the 80 Ohm version.
AKG K550 or K553 are very good contenders as well. You could also read about the SoundMagic HP150

Jul 24, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 7
Before you recommend a 250 ohm DT770, lets stop and ask, what amp do you have or what source are you plugging these headphones into if you don't have an amp between source and headphone?

The Logic used to recommend the high impedance 770 is sound, provided the hardware you have is up to the task of driving it. If you intend to use the headphones straight from a smartphone though, I would avoid anything over about 150 ohm.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the replies! Right now my main source is my laptop (Dell XPS 15 9550). It drives the Takstar HI2050 (which has a 60 Ohm impedance) at low volume without any problems whatsoever, though they don't really "come alive" until I turn it up a little bit louder (about 1/3 of full volume).

DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm + FiiO E10k (or another entry-devel DAC/amp combo) would just barely squeeze within my $250 budget, so that is one option.

Looks like the HP151 fixed a major issue with the hinge mechanism, but overall build quality is still low. This would be a concern for someone in my situation with a bunch of roommates (I love my roommates but accidents happen). From the reviews though, it looks like it fits the bill almost perfectly when it comes to sound...
Also, the HP151 is significantly cheaper on Amazon right now that the HP150. Is this legit?
upload_2018-7-24_18-33-3.png

Jul 25, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the replies! Right now my main source is my laptop (Dell XPS 15 9550). It drives the Takstar HI2050 (which has a 60 Ohm impedance) at low volume without any problems whatsoever, though they don't really "come alive" until I turn it up a little bit louder (about 1/3 of full volume).

DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm + FiiO E10k (or another entry-devel DAC/amp combo) would just barely squeeze within my $250 budget, so that is one option.

Looks like the HP151 fixed a major issue with the hinge mechanism, but overall build quality is still low. This would be a concern for someone in my situation with a bunch of roommates (I love my roommates but accidents happen). From the reviews though, it looks like it fits the bill almost perfectly when it comes to sound...
Also, the HP151 is significantly cheaper on Amazon right now that the HP150. Is this legit?
Older products on amazon are often priced much higher than their newer counterparts. Not sure if this is supply and demand or just supply. This phenomenon is especially true for headphones on amazon. Older items are often exorbitantly priced--FWIW. The HP151 is usually priced in the $120-130 range in my experience. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back