Looking for a ~$300 IEM for metal and neoclassical/neofolk
Nov 15, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #16 of 32
Let me Clarify,

"Out of the box" = First 100 hour of listening time you may want an amp if you want to listen during burn-in (break-in, driver seating, whatever you choose to call it).

After the 100 hour period no amp is needed. I listened to 2 hours of Mastodon today, straight from my LG V30 (which is a very, very good DAP) with zero issues. Mastodon is known for having some particularly "dense" tracks but instrument and vocal separation/isolation was spectacular, better even than my TFZ King Pros on the same tracks.
THANK YOU for the advice. This is 15% off at AliExpress, so I might just stop thinking and buy it for $207 total (with expedited shipping). You really think I'll be happy with this over something like the Campfire Orion or Periodic Audio Beryllium with their warranties and US-based shipping?

And black friday is even next week...! Ahh...

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #17 of 32
I haven't listened to those two particular brands/models, so I can't speak in absolute terms; but I churned my way through all the regular players in the IEM market and stopped when I got the GR07s. I haven't even looked in recent months. I have no regrets.

Speaking in pure economics, I don't think you will get a "return on investment" from paying more for those IEMs, but I'm just one data point.

Me, personally, owning the TFZ King Pro and the GR07 Anni's is all I will ever need. I won't even peruse the IEM market unless one of those two break or gets destroyed.

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #18 of 32
THANK YOU for the advice. This is 15% off at AliExpress, so I might just stop thinking and buy it for $207 total (with expedited shipping). You really think I'll be happy with this over something like the Campfire Orion or Periodic Audio Beryllium with their warranties and US-based shipping?

And black friday is even next week...! Ahh...

Also, I HATE IEM designs like the Periodic Audio BE (speaking in the ergonomic sense). I used similar designs from Denon for years and once I got a set of IEMs with over ear chord routing I was just in awe. the Vsonic "wings" that route the chord over your ear take a little getting used to but they isolate and limit microphonics from the chord so well it is well worth it!!

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #19 of 32
Also, I HATE IEM designs like the Periodic Audio BE (speaking in the ergonomic sense). I used similar designs from Denon for years and once I got a set of IEMs with over ear chord routing I was just in awe. the Vsonic "wings" that route the chord over your ear take a little getting used to but they isolate and limit microphonics from the chord so well it is well worth it!!
I'm sure they also help with stabilost, like while walking/biking with them on. Just bought, that KS again. I'll break them in with Mastodon in your honor.

Nov 16, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #20 of 32
Let me Clarify,

"Out of the box" = First 100 hour of listening time you may want an amp if you want to listen during burn-in (break-in, driver seating, whatever you choose to call it).

After the 100 hour period no amp is needed. I listened to 2 hours of Mastodon today, straight from my LG V30 (which is a very, very good DAP) with zero issues. Mastodon is known for having some particularly "dense" tracks but instrument and vocal separation/isolation was spectacular, better even than my TFZ King Pros on the same tracks.
Sorry, one more question. How did you break these in?

Nov 16, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #21 of 32
I used a 50/50 mix of medium volume music listening (with the bass eq'd up) and the JLAB burn-in loop.

Nov 18, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #22 of 32
Hi @Chziime,

Apologies for the delay in reply, if you're still looking, out of the list I suggested, for your requirements, in terms of value, I would pick either IT 01 or IT 04.

Both are hard to beat in their respective price ranges.

Also, head amps are a tricky thing to recommend as some are even more picky about those than IEMS.

Overall, Fiio is a good choice though if you can still get the Oppo HA2/SE, that is a much better choice.

Hope you have a great day !

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #23 of 32
So I ended up with the VSonic G07 Anniversary Edition and love it, but after 3 months, it broke on me. I don't even believe I was harsh with them at all... they are usually in the protective case. The left speaker cuts in and out, and I'm certain the problem lies in the 3.5mm jack. VSonic offered to repair it for me, but they're in China and don't have a website, so it's a bit of a hassle.

For the future... what's another solid, similarly priced/quality IEM that is based in America and has a solid build quality and warranty? Someone above mentioned the Campfire Orion. What about iBasso, are they reliable?

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #24 of 32
Hi @Chziime,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with VSonic, have never used them so can't comment...

For the future... what's another solid, similarly priced/quality IEM that is based in America and has a solid build quality and warranty?

The only IEMs brand which I have experience with US based but do not own...yet which has exceptional customer service & warranty is Periodic Audio, @dan wiggins will certainly help you if you run into any issues & quick to answer any customer service questions, etc.
Personally & subjectively, as I am outside the US, the exchange rate sadly doesn't make it worth it for me to get any IEMs from Periodic Audio though hopefully one day soon that will change.

What about iBasso, are they reliable?

What I can comment on is iBasso, their reliability & customer service is without question & in this humble person's opinion, is exceptional beyond the telling, @Paul - iBasso, frequents the headfi forum, especially the iBasso threads & is quick to respond to any queries one may have, be it issue or help, etc...
Especially if you purchase directly from iBasso, you can be assured if any issues do occur, however, they will be resolved in short order.

I have all their IEMs, in no particular order as I like them for different reasons, my favourites being the IT 01, IT 04 & IT 01s which all go on weekly rotation.
So far, I have never had a serious or major issue with any of them.
So as far as reliability goes, you will be more than covered.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #25 of 32
Hi @Chziime,
What I can comment on is iBasso, their reliability & customer service is without question & in this humble person's opinion, is exceptional beyond the telling, @Paul - iBasso, frequents the headfi forum, especially the iBasso threads & is quick to respond to any queries one may have, be it issue or help, etc...
Especially if you purchase directly from iBasso, you can be assured if any issues do occur, however, they will be resolved in short order.

I have all their IEMs, in no particular order as I like them for different reasons, my favourites being the IT 01, IT 04 & IT 01s which all go on weekly rotation.
So far, I have never had a serious or major issue with any of them.
So as far as reliability goes, you will be more than covered.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply! The Periodic Audio Magnesium was actually what I had planned to buy before I got the VSonics.

In short, what would you describe as the difference between those three iBassos (iBassi?)? Costing $100, $200, and $500?

Feb 13, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #26 of 32
Thank you for your thoughtful reply! The Periodic Audio Magnesium was actually what I had planned to buy before I got the VSonics.

In short, what would you describe as the difference between those three iBassos (iBassi?)? Costing $100, $200, and $500?

No problem.

Happy to help, @Chziime,

Periodic Audio Magnesium is a nice choice but personally & subjectively, for your genre preferences, metal & neo classical folk which I tend to listen a lot of as well, Periodic Audio Beryllium would be a better choice.
Be has a more full range, full bodied sound whereas Mg tends to have a more limiting range, particularly in the Highs & Lows but this is understandable given the difference in price but not necessarily a deteriment.
On the Periodic Audio website, they have a IEM selection tool for genre preferences which they call a Selectron.
It is fairly useful & accurate to a certain degree.

Subjectively & personally, the differences or more accurately similarities between the 3 iBasso IEMs are as follows :

IT 01 :
- Single Graphene Full Range Dynamic Driver which in sound quality hits way above it's $ 100 pricepoint.
- All frequencies are well covered & extended, true to source.
- High Powered & easily gets loud without any distortion.
- Exceptional Synergy with all Sources.

IT 01s :
- Single DINATT Full Range Dynamic Driver
- Tuned to sit nicely sonically between IT 01 & IT 04.

IT 04 :
- Basically IT 01 but with additional Triple Balanced Armature Drivers.
- Wide Spacious, Symphonic &/or Orchestral but simultaneously initmate sound.

I also suggest looking at the dedicated threads on headfi on for each IEM as well to get other impressions aside from mine.
I am a reasonably active on those threads too.
But more than happy to help you answer more queries here as you have them.

Hope this is useful.

Feb 13, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #27 of 32
No problem.

Happy to help, @Chziime,

Periodic Audio Magnesium is a nice choice but personally & subjectively, for your genre preferences, metal & neo classical folk which I tend to listen a lot of as well, Periodic Audio Beryllium would be a better choice.
Be has a more full range, full bodied sound whereas Mg tends to have a more limiting range, particularly in the Highs & Lows but this is understandable given the difference in price but not necessarily a deteriment.
On the Periodic Audio website, they have a IEM selection tool for genre preferences which they call a Selectron.
It is fairly useful & accurate to a certain degree.

Subjectively & personally, the differences or more accurately similarities between the 3 iBasso IEMs are as follows :

IT 01 :
- Single Graphene Full Range Dynamic Driver which in sound quality hits way above it's $ 100 pricepoint.

IT 01s :
- Single DINATT Full Range Dynamic Driver
- Tuned to sit nicely sonically between IT 01 & IT 04.

IT 04 :
- Basically IT 01 but with additional Triple Balanced Armature Drivers.
- Wide Spacious, Symphonic &/or Orchestral but simultaneously initmate sound.

I also suggest looking at the dedicated threads on headfi on for each IEM as well to get other impressions aside from mine.
I am a reasonably active on those threads too.
But more than happy to help you answer more queries here as you have them.

Hope this is useful.

Oh, the Beryliium is actually what I meant! I guess it has been a while since I did my research.

I don't think I'm ready for (or can tell the difference to warrant the price) with a $500 IEM such as the IT 04, but the IT 01s, yes. Do you have any preference between the IT 01s and the PE Be for metal/folk/classical?

Feb 14, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #28 of 32
You can check out BGVP DM6. I do have GR07 BE too. But DM6 requiers some tip and cable rolling, and source dependent too. It might sound intense, it isn't an easy recommend for that reasons but metal suppose to be intense imho. Check out DM6 threat for more info.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #29 of 32
You can check out BGVP DM6. I do have GR07 BE too. But DM6 requiers some tip and cable rolling, and source dependent too. It might sound intense, it isn't an easy recommend for that reasons but metal suppose to be intense imho. Check out DM6 threat for more info.

Thanks! The BGVP DM6 seems great. But I found a set of PE Berylliums on Amazon for $200 new, the same price as the DM6 and $100 less than retail. Hm. I do want to try the DM6 for metal, but is the Beryllium any better for that simply because of the price point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back