Looking for a ~$300 IEM for metal and neoclassical/neofolk
Nov 13, 2018 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Chziime

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I've been doing way too much research and cannot decide on a $300 IEM. I'll be using it for metal (mostly black) as well as neoclassical/neofolk/post-industrial. So I guess I'm looking for:
-Ability to express details (all of these genres are instrumentally layered)
-Something "fun" sounding
-Treble is important in black metal, but I do of course like my bass... not looking for anything necessarily V-shaped, though
-Comfort and fit are very important. Don't care about look and wires.

I've been reading about the Periodic Audio Beryllium, Massdrop Plus, Etymotic ER4XR, and Shure 535, but I don't know too much about audiology (I'm a video guy). I would be willing to spend a little more than $300 if there's something truly great that would fit my needs. The LZ A5 looks good, but it seems that it's buggy and has to be ordered from overseas.

Thank you for any advice!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 32
Maybe Sennheiser ie80? I could sell you mine. I'm also in NJ. I'll let you return it if you don't like it as long as you pay the shipping costs which shouldn't be much.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 32
Hello!

I've been doing way too much research and cannot decide on a $300 IEM. I'll be using it for metal (mostly black) as well as neoclassical/neofolk/post-industrial. So I guess I'm looking for:
-Ability to express details (all of these genres are instrumentally layered)
-Something "fun" sounding
-Treble is important in black metal, but I do of course like my bass... not looking for anything necessarily V-shaped, though
-Comfort and fit are very important. Don't care about look and wires.

I've been reading about the Periodic Audio Beryllium, Massdrop Plus, Etymotic ER4XR, and Shure 535, but I don't know too much about audiology (I'm a video guy). I would be willing to spend a little more than $300 if there's something truly great that would fit my needs. The LZ A5 looks good, but it seems that it's buggy and has to be ordered from overseas.

Thank you for any advice!

I listen to much the same style music as you, and I'll tell you the Vsonic GR07 37th Anniversary edition IEM is the best. I went through Denon, Sennheiser, TFZ, Ultimate Ears, and none of them are as good for this style as the VSonic, but don't get the GR07 Bass edition, they're for EDM and the like. 37th Anniversary special edition or nothing, plus they're way less than $300!

Nov 14, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 32
Hi Chziime,

I suggest the following for your needs in no particular order (I listen to similar music & have all of these IEMs) :

iBasso IT 01
iBasso IT 03
AAW A3H
Audio Technica E 70
Shozy Hibiki M1/M2
Meze 12 Classics
Mackie MP 240

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 14, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 32
Hi Chziime,

I suggest the following for your needs in no particular order (I listen to similar music & have all of these IEMs) :

iBasso IT 01
iBasso IT 03
AAW A3H
Audio Technica E 70
Shozy Hibiki M1/M2
Meze 12 Classics
Mackie MP 240

Hope you have a great day !

Thank you! But now I am even more overencumbered by options. Which one of this list would you choose if you absolutely had to, and why?

Nov 15, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 32
Oh yeah? Cool. A couple people on the official GR07 thread said the anniversary edition sacrifices clarify / instrument separation. What do you think of that?

That has not been my impression, the carbon graphene drivers do need a break in period (this is the only iem or headphone I actually recommend this for). I used a Fiio Mont Blanc amp on mine for the first 100 hours or so, now they are crystal clear. Source my also play a factor; my source is in my signature.

Nov 15, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #11 of 32
That has not been my impression, the carbon graphene drivers do need a break in period (this is the only iem or headphone I actually recommend this for). I used a Fiio Mont Blanc amp on mine for the first 100 hours or so, now they are crystal clear. Source my also play a factor; my source is in my signature.
Do you mean to say that you specifically broke it in using the amp?

I just have a FiiO X1 Gen2. Maybe down the road I can consider an amp and new DAP. Thanks for the advice, I'll keep this in mind.

Edit - I do have an amp, the $30 M-Audio Bass Traveler, but have never used it.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 32
Do you mean to say that you specifically broke it in using the amp?

I just have a FiiO X1 Gen2. Maybe down the road I can consider an amp and new DAP. Thanks for the advice, I'll keep this in mind.

Edit - I do have an amp, the $30 M-Audio Bass Traveler, but have never used it.

Yes, I amp'd it for the first 100 hours or so, it was pretty much the only way to get decent sound out of the box. While these are listed as 32 ohms I kinda doubt it. The TFZ King Pro is also listed at 32 ohms and plugging each in one after the other reveals a HUGE volume gap.

I can listen to the GR07 at "35" (total gain control goes to 70 on the LG v30) but that will make your ears bleed using the TFZ King Pro... Ymmv

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #14 of 32
Yes, I amp'd it for the first 100 hours or so, it was pretty much the only way to get decent sound out of the box. While these are listed as 32 ohms I kinda doubt it. The TFZ King Pro is also listed at 32 ohms and plugging each in one after the other reveals a HUGE volume gap.

I can listen to the GR07 at "35" (total gain control goes to 70 on the LG v30) but that will make your ears bleed using the TFZ King Pro... Ymmv
So this IEM you think needs to be amped? What's a decent budget amp to use with my Fiio X1? I imagine my M-Audio Bass Traveler that came bundled with my other headphones isn't what I'd be looking for.

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #15 of 32
So this IEM you think needs to be amped? What's a decent budget amp to use with my Fiio X1? I imagine my M-Audio Bass Traveler that came bundled with my other headphones isn't what I'd be looking for.
Let me Clarify,

"Out of the box" = First 100 hour of listening time you may want an amp if you want to listen during burn-in (break-in, driver seating, whatever you choose to call it).

After the 100 hour period no amp is needed. I listened to 2 hours of Mastodon today, straight from my LG V30 (which is a very, very good DAP) with zero issues. Mastodon is known for having some particularly "dense" tracks but instrument and vocal separation/isolation was spectacular, better even than my TFZ King Pros on the same tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back