Looking for a 2.0/2.1 set of computer speakers for under $100.
Aug 26, 2013 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

azn6138

New Head-Fier
While I know that this is horrifyingly low-end, I'm looking for a pair of speakers for my computer.

Ideally, I'd like them to be active, but have no other preferences. I'm not a fan of overwhelming bass, and I'm not prepared to invest in a DAC at this point.

If it's any baseline, I consider the sound from MDR-7506es to be closest to what I like.

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 20
Have you looked into Dayton Audio bookshelf speakers?

+1

Check out this CNET review:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57439115-47/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-$70/

Then here is a discussion thread where people have talked about the Lepai/Dayton combo: http://www.head-fi.org/t/627161/my-very-low-budget-nearfield-desktop-rig-lepai-amp-and-dayton-audio-speakers

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #5 of 20
Samson Media3a One are very detailed but definitely not for bass heads. Treble heads though will be very pleased-

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-MediaOne-Precision-tuned-Powered-Monitors/dp/B0019R8U7I/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1377786485&sr=1-1&keywords=samson+mediaone+3a

Cerwin Vega XD3- More bass and has a certain level of detail but not as crystal ice clear as the Samson-

http://www.amazon.com/Cerwin-Vega-XD3-Powered-Desktop-Speaker/dp/B009JXHTNU/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1377786719&sr=1-1&keywords=cerwin+vega+xd3

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 20
The Daytons are out of the question, as I really don't want to go looking for an amp or DAC on top of my computer's existing sound card. I also did some looking, and it seems as if they have very mediocre quality control with people claiming that they've been "ruined" recently due to a supplier change.

Thanks for the Samson and Cerwin recommendations; those look good on paper. I prefer clarity over bass, but I still need the bass levels to be decent; which works better for that? Does the Samson have absolutely miserable bass response?

Two additional sets that I've been looking at are the Creative T20 Series II and the Altec Lansing Octane 7 VS4621. Any word on how those sound? Amazon reviews only go so far.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 20
The Daytons are out of the question, as I really don't want to go looking for an amp or DAC on top of my computer's existing sound card. I also did some looking, and it seems as if they have very mediocre quality control with people claiming that they've been "ruined" recently due to a supplier change.

Dayton has already corrected that issue. That has been confirmed by someone on Head-Fi who talked with Parts Express (Dayton is their house brand). It sounds like they just had a bad production run, didn't realize it, and then the Internet rumor mill took it over and made it out to be more of a problem than it was.

You don't need a DAC with that setup any more than you would with going with powered speakers. And there is no need to "search" for an amp. The Lepai is the one that fits your budget. It is easily found on Amazon and Parts Express.

Two additional sets that I've been looking at are the Creative T20 Series II and the Altec Lansing Octane 7 VS4621. Any word on how those sound? Amazon reviews only go so far.

At best, they'll sound like most multimedia speakers for $100. The Dayton/Lepai set easily bests $100 computer desktop speakers, equalling sound from the best $200 setups.

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #8 of 20
Aug 30, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
Thanks for the Samson and Cerwin recommendations; those look good on paper. I prefer clarity over bass, but I still need the bass levels to be decent; which works better for that? Does the Samson have absolutely miserable bass response?

If you want bass with "some" clarity I would go with the Cerwin Vega XD3. I prefer the clearer treble rich sound of the Samson MediaOne 3a but the bass is pretty much non-existent and this is from someone who thinks the Audio Technica ATH AD700 headphones have plenty of bass :D

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 20
Dayton has already corrected that issue. That has been confirmed by someone on Head-Fi who talked with Parts Express (Dayton is their house brand). It sounds like they just had a bad production run, didn't realize it, and then the Internet rumor mill took it over and made it out to be more of a problem than it was.

You don't need a DAC with that setup any more than you would with going with powered speakers. And there is no need to "search" for an amp. The Lepai is the one that fits your budget. It is easily found on Amazon and Parts Express.
At best, they'll sound like most multimedia speakers for $100. The Dayton/Lepai set easily bests $100 computer desktop speakers, equalling sound from the best $200 setups.

Perfect, pretty sure I'll be going with this, considering your assertions about the QC :) . I see the speakers on PartsExpress for $40, and the amp on Amazon for $22. I presume the included speaker wire is adequate? Else, additional wire shouldn't be that expensive, yeah?

If you want bass with "some" clarity I would go with the Cerwin Vega XD3. I prefer the clearer treble rich sound of the Samson MediaOne 3a but the bass is pretty much non-existent and this is from someone who thinks the Audio Technica ATH AD700 headphones have plenty of bass :D

The MDR-7506 has exactly the characteristics that I like: clear (but not overwhelming) bass, and crisp, responsive treble. I could care less about the midrange, as I dial my equaliser's midrange down. So off of your recommendation, the Samson would be best, but I'm really liking the way the Dayton is being sold here.

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 20
Perfect, pretty sure I'll be going with this, considering your assertions about the QC :) . I see the speakers on PartsExpress for $40, and the amp on Amazon for $22. I presume the included speaker wire is adequate? Else, additional wire shouldn't be that expensive, yeah?

Does it have included speaker wire? Passive speakers and amps generally don't come with speaker wire unless you buy some kind of HTIB package. Some 16 or 20 gauge speaker wire would work great for a desktop setup.

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 20
Does it have included speaker wire? Passive speakers and amps generally don't come with speaker wire unless you buy some kind of HTIB package. Some 16 or 20 gauge speaker wire would work great for a desktop setup.

According to Amazon, "Includes two 9-1/2 foot long 20 AWG speaker cables." Thus, I presume, 9.5ft long, 20 gauge cables included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back