looking for 300$ IEM
Oct 31, 2021 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Pedro Campagnoli

New Head-Fier
So, I was looking for an iem around the 300-350 mark and i have some preferences:
good soundstage comes first, then imaging, detail and not piercing treble

I mainly listen to this genres, in this respective order:
classical>edm>rock>pop/hiphop (same ratio)

I considered the Fiio FD5, Tanchjim Oxygen, but it seems like they have very polarized opinions, also i dont think blessings 2 would be an option because of the limited soundstage/imaging.

Currently i have a Moondrop Aria and TC-01's, although Arias sound much better, like their bass but it lacks sub bass, and the technicalities are quite poor.

Before i noticed i'm poor, i considered the EJ07m and Monarchs, If i can get something close to that, would be good to go.

edit1: also, will need a portable dac/amp and im between fiio btr5 and qudelix 5k

Oct 31, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 10
Watching / following this thread as I'm in a similar boat! Looking for a single DD IEM under 270 USD to complement my hybrid IEM.

Nov 1, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 10
My vote there would be the Oxygen, but then it's the only one I have personal experience with. I'd say it's very solid at its price point.

I suspect a lot of the difference in opinion with the Oxygen boils down to people having not spent enough time finding the right ear tips for it (for them). Makes a huge difference. If you don't get a good seal there is basically no bass.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 10
I second the Tanchjim Oxygen, great melding of technicalities, tonality and timbre. Can be end game single DD for some.

Organic timbre and very natural sounding, easy to drive.

Nov 2, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 10
I think the Unique Melody 3DT would be a strong contender.
It's around $320, beautiful IEM with 3 DD drivers. I have gone through some DD IEMs, including the Kanas Pro, the JVC FD02 and FDX1, Sony EX800ST and EX1k up to the A&K T8iE. I also have (had) Blessing 2, Variations and Sony IER-M9.

The 3DT needs a bit of work to find the right tips, cable and stick a filter on the nozzle, but the result is a very exciting listen, with a bass bosst that is well controlled in the mid bass but rises for great rumbling capabilities in the sub bass range. Midrange is very well layered, with good stage and imaging and treble is well behaved and quite well extended. It seals extremely well, is easy to drive and not picky about the source. It also stays coherent without smearing in busy parts of the music (even beats the FD02 there)
Weaknesses are just "good" resolution, a smoother, rounder character compared to the detail oriented BA and hybrid IEMs. No question, the IER-M9 runs circles around it in the detail department, but the 3DT is fun, coherent, grande. Works really well for classical and electronic music.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/unique-melody-3d-terminator-3dt-announcement-thread.949402/

Nov 4, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 10
I'd get the Fiio IEMs and the Qudelix Dac amp. Love my Fiio IEM's. So many IEM makers seem like fly-by-night operations, so be cautious. Fiio is well established. Oh, and they're usually pretty ergonomic for nearly anyones ears. Check out their multidriver units in that range since you like classical. FH5 only $200 atm and they're closed back.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 10
So, I was looking for an iem around the 300-350 mark and i have some preferences:
good soundstage comes first, then imaging, detail and not piercing treble

I mainly listen to this genres, in this respective order:
classical>edm>rock>pop/hiphop (same ratio)

I considered the Fiio FD5, Tanchjim Oxygen, but it seems like they have very polarized opinions, also i dont think blessings 2 would be an option because of the limited soundstage/imaging.

Currently i have a Moondrop Aria and TC-01's, although Arias sound much better, like their bass but it lacks sub bass, and the technicalities are quite poor.

Before i noticed i'm poor, i considered the EJ07m and Monarchs, If i can get something close to that, would be good to go.

edit1: also, will need a portable dac/amp and im between fiio btr5 and qudelix 5k
Consider the Blessing 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back