Looking for $300~ Headphones for my needs.
Apr 9, 2013 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

bzdsftw

New Head-Fier
Hi all. I currently own an ath-m50. It sounds alright but it's getting hot here and I'd like to purchase some open headphones. I have my eyes set on the hd 598 or the dt 990. Any other recommendations would be great. I have about $300 to spend. I listen to mostly rock, jazz and classical. I love creamy, warm mids, no harsh highs and things like that. I could not stand listening to Grados for more than 10 minutes. Jazz would probably be the main focus. Will be using purely FLAC files out of an Asus Essence STX. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 21
I personally have not heard the Audio Technica ATH-AD900, but it receives high praise here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_ATHAD900

I have heard the Sennheisher HD-600/650, HD-598, and DT990 all of which have their pros and cons.  The DT990 being the most colored sounding with a slightly recessed midrange.  The HD-598 sounds so close to the HD-558 that I cannot justify the expense and would recommend the HD-558 if you are going that route.

You can take a look here regarding the ATH-AD900 for further information:

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/audio-technica-ath-ad900.php

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 21
I got a pair of sennheiser hd600s from razordogaudio.com for 300$ using their 100$ off coupon a couple months ago. I have been very happy with the purchase since and don't regret it the least bit.

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 21
I understand that you don't like the Grado...BUT, I highly recommend the Alessandro MS2i. From what you stated in your post and considering that you listen to rock and jazz do not count these headphones out!!! They do not sound like the Grado sound signature, they are much warmer, fuller and richer, better balanced and the vocals are beautifully smooth and the high frequencies are rolled off unlike the 325is. I used to own these and Jazz sounded amazing on them, plus other genres that I listen too also like alternative, classic rock, 60's and 70', but I mostly listen to jazz. I found that I preferred the 325is's sound signature better than the MS2i for myself, so a friend and I traded because they were a bit too warm for my liking and the 325is was not to his liking, so we traded. If I wanted a warmer sounding headphone I never would have traded, they are that awesome if that is the sound signature you are looking for. So don't be fooled and think that they will sound like the 325is, because they will not. Seriously, check them out!!!

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 21
Some guys are so sensitive that have listening fatigue with the HD598.

If you can up your budget the HE-400 is a great headphone. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 21
I disagree with the HE-400 being a great purchase.  The headphone is marginal at best even with the velour pads.  The leather pads make it sound horrible.  With the velour pads the HE-400 is still tinny sounding and has some serious issues with distortion which the HD-650/600 and ATH-AD900 do not.

Take a look the the link below:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=1&graphID[]=3061&graphID[]=3651

See how the HE-400 has some serious peaks 1kHz, 1.5kHz, etc?  The 1kHz peak is especially audible.  To me I would save up for two years if need be just to avoid the HE-400 and get the HD-500.

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 21
HE-400's mid-distortion is a non issue for me.  At first I thought its distortion was the culprit for its liquidy sounding midrange, but then later after auditioning the LCD2 I learned that it was just a planar magnetic thing.

It's not very tinny either, it have very thick bass and lower midrange.

Its sound signature is make or break for most people though.  They either like the lowered upper midrange response or they hate it.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 21
OP: Have you considered Mad Dogs?

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #9 of 21
Thanks for the help guys. and no, disastermouse.. I have never heard of them. Also about the alessandros..another thing about about the grados was the comfort. It wasn't cutting it for me. And I won't go with the 558s because of my second reason for wanting the hd598s..they look so good and match the colours of my table and furniture in my room. I also have a couple of noctua fans. The hd600 is abit out of my budget. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #10 of 21
I recommend Sennheiser HD-600 or used HE-400's if you can up the budget slightly.

First being more neutral, the second, being more colored for "FUN" sound.

Tim

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #11 of 21
Look up the Mad Dogs - an inexpensive way to break into planars....I've never heard them, but they'll be my next headphone after I move and am not so anxious about not having enough money.

They aren't bass monsters according to the description though.

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #12 of 21
From your description, OP, I think you'll love the Mad Dogs. Their midrange is warm and detailed, and the highs are what I would describe as smooth, but not shelved--very neutral. Instruments are very realistic, and everything is represented cohesively and naturally. The bass is neutral, meaning it'll thump if the song calls for it, but it's not emphasized like most commercial, basshead, or v-shaped headphones, but like the rest of the spectrum, is very detailed. Taken together, they're very versatile genre-wise. They're also extremely comfortable with the Alpha Pads they come with, and the comfort band makes the weight negligible. They're just at $300, and they're a big hit here.

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #13 of 21
you can get the HD 600 new for $ 300, it will sound great out of your STX.

I have the M50 and also the HD 518 and the HD 600. I think the HD 518, 558 and 598 was a trap go straight to the HD 600 or HD 650 IMO. Though you'll notice less boom boom bass than the M50. To be honest I didn't like the M50's bass. The treble of the HD 600 is just where I like it not too much or too little, the DT 770 880 990 series all have this crazy treble spike that some will find fatiging. I though my M50's treble was harash and bass was muddy. I didn't want to repeat that mistake again.

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #14 of 21
wow.. first of all. thanks alot for the replies. This is a seriously helpful site. I have to say that I bit the bullet and picked up the hd598s after school yesterday. The only reason I didn't order the Mad Dogs would be that shipping tax and costs from the states to singapore would send it up to about 370, which I can't afford right now. The hd598s were available to me locally which was much more convenient. Well I hope I get a chance to try out the much acclaimed mad dogs. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #15 of 21
Ouch! Yeah those shipping costs hurt. But the 598's are great, too! I hope you enjoy them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back