Looking at the Sony UDA1/S amp/dac
Oct 23, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #31 of 60
I am interested in built-in speaker amp - can you guys just check out one thing for me ?

Is the ground (-) of each channel common or separated ? you can easily check this out using resistance meter between right '-' and left '-' or just continuity meter when the unit's power cord is unplugged. If its something about 0 ohms its common ground (short). Very important info for me, thanks a lot in advance guys !

Yes, Yes, Yes!!! Just bought the adapters to run my headphones from the speaker taps. Works great. I measured the resistance to be around 0 ohms. 

The headphone out amplifier is unable to drive my HE-560 at all. I only plugged in my UE-6000 as a guinea pig but it sounds great/detailed/powerful out of the speaker taps with volume knob around 9 o'clock. I will be plugging in my other headphones later =) 

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #32 of 60
I also got this from Woot! when they did the crazy sale. I can definitely say if you can get one at the $200-300 price point you will not be disappointed. I've been using it recently with my HD800 to great results (to my ears anyway). I can say that through USB the overall sound is dark. I also have the V200 and I get more bass response (controlled still) and a fuller mid region than I do with the V200. The V200 slightly beats it in the detail department, but the UDA-1 makes it easy to listen to my HD800 for hours. I feel it gives the same experience as running the HD800 through a quality tube amp.

Anyway these are just my impressions, it really is a shame this unit didn't get very much exposure on here. $799 is a little steep, but at it's current price point I think it is a worthy buy for an all in one solution. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #33 of 60
The UDA-1 plays some orthodynamics from the headphone jack just fine...in fact magically great.

I just picked up a pair of Hifiman HE-400i's from the $300 BF sale.   They have pretty high efficiency for a planar, and are a bit brighter and dryer sounding than most of the other Hifiman phones.

I had not been too impressed with the UDA-1's headphone output til now, not $800 impressed for sure, so I used it mostly as a DAC, and to power my desktop speakers.

Just for the heck I plugged in the HE400Is...and it turns out the slightly warm tubey UDA-1 sound is a perfect counterweight to the slightly bright HE400i.    The UD-1 provides more warmth to the mids, weight to the bass and let the great highs of the 400i come through.

It is one of the most musical and coherent, from top to bottom, combinations I have heard.  Coherent is the word, everything just sounds right. Any dryness or stridency in the 400I is gone, but lots of air. detail, and rich mid-range warmth. I am surprised the 400i sounds so much better on the UDA-1 than my other amps.

One caveat is that I listen at moderate or low volumes....never front row rock show levels, the UDA-1 might not do that.   As another UDA-1 Woot buyer, matched with the HE-400i sale price, I think it would be very hard to find a better combination for $500.   Doin the happy dance 
darthsmile.gif

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #34 of 60
...The UD-1 provides more warmth to the mids, weight to the bass and let the great highs of the 400i come through.

It is one of the most musical and coherent, from top to bottom, combinations I have heard.  Coherent is the word, everything just sounds right.

I think this sums up the UDA-1 perfectly and I think this is why I like it for the HD800 and TH900 so much. It really relaxes the highs and adds a depth and demension to the mids and bass that is really impressive for the price that these go for.

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #35 of 60
Just found out about the UDA-1 and now just found out about Woot from you guys.  Man, that's a deal.  I think that's all I want now, an all in one DAC, AMP and speaker amp.  Just checked Woot and they have the Sony SSHA3 on sale for $79!  Think I'm gonna get those speakers then wait for the UDA-1 to drop again.

Anyone else tried different cans with this unit, like the HD6XX?

Dec 31, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #36 of 60
I just got the Sony UDA-1/B, I'm really impressed so far. Can't believe how well it pairs with my DT 990 LE it's unbelievably clean, tactile, and musical, I haven't heard a Beyer sound this good since trying one on my friends system. The DAC in the unit is really great too. Sadly the built-amp doesn't pair well with my Nighthawks(sounds underpowered) but using an external amp gives me excellent results. Planning on getting the Sony SS-HA3 speakers with this unit eventually. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #37 of 60
I just got the Sony UDA-1/B, I'm really impressed so far. Can't believe how well it pairs with my DT 990 LE it's unbelievably clean, tactile, and musical, I haven't heard a Beyer sound this good since trying one on my friends system. The DAC in the unit is really great too. Sadly the built-amp doesn't pair well with my Nighthawks(sounds underpowered) but using an external amp gives me excellent results. Planning on getting the Sony SS-HA3 speakers with this unit eventually. 

Glad to see other person that decided to check this combo out! I know there are better solutions out there (for quite larger purchase price) but honestly I really have liked the sound I get through this, with almost any headphone. Beyers seem to respond really well with it. It seems to smooth out the treble and liven up the mids.

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #38 of 60
Glad to see other person that decided to check this combo out! I know there are better solutions out there (for quite larger purchase price) but honestly I really have liked the sound I get through this, with almost any headphone. Beyers seem to respond really well with it. It seems to smooth out the treble and liven up the mids.

I'm just surprised how good this unit is, especially considering the prices it runs at. I got my unit under $300. Definitely agree about the mids and treble. Definitely seems to be caused by the DAC as it seems to translate to the Nighthawks(the mids sound awesome with the UDA-1 as a DAC, the headphone has subdued mids on lesser DACs), just need to get a tube amp that can power low ohm headphones well so I can make the Nighthawks exactly to my liking(love how they sound on tubes). The sound of the DAC reminds me a bit of the HRT Music Streamer HD but better and more euphoric. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #39 of 60
Does anyone have any experience using the line out UDA-1 as a preamp? I have found a few things saying you can use it that way, but it's very hard to find I for about it.

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #40 of 60
Does anyone have any experience using the line out UDA-1 as a preamp? I have found a few things saying you can use it that way, but it's very hard to find I for about it.

The line out has a fixed volume, it is really a DAC out.  So you would need to connect it to an amp with a volume control. 

I have used it to connect other headphone amps...and it sounds great.  Most of the negatives reviews I have seen for the UDA-1 focus on the lack of power in the headphone and speaker amp sections, reviews of the DAC have been good.

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #41 of 60
The line out has a fixed volume, it is really a DAC out.  So you would need to connect it to an amp with a volume control.

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking this was the case but wanted to make sure before making a purchase of an external amp. I guess an integrated amp is the choice.

Yeah I'm pretty happy with the dac of the unit and honestly like the headphone amp portion. It may not be as revealing as others I've tried, but it's smooth, fairly well balanced and powers my hd800s pretty well. If it had a higher watt amp section for speakers it would be amazing.

Mar 23, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #42 of 60

I have used it to connect other headphone amps...and it sounds great.  Most of the negatives reviews I have seen for the UDA-1 focus on the lack of power in the headphone and speaker amp sections, reviews of the DAC have been good.

I'm shocked. The HP gets louder than my amp. Distorts quickly though.

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #43 of 60
Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking this was the case but wanted to make sure before making a purchase of an external amp. I guess an integrated amp is the choice.

Yeah I'm pretty happy with the dac of the unit and honestly like the headphone amp portion. It may not be as revealing as others I've tried, but it's smooth, fairly well balanced and powers my hd800s pretty well. If it had a higher watt amp section for speakers it would be amazing.

Same here. Currently use it as Dac/Amp for headphones and also to connect some powered 2.1 speakers for my home office desktop. I think it sounds good...especially for a device that cost me $200!

Am thinking of buying a Vahalla 2 to connect to the Sony's DAC Out for high-impedance Senns & Beyers. Will then connect the 2.1 speaker setup to the back of the Vahalla. However, I need to talk with Schiit about this prior to pulling the trigger as the Vahalla's 'preamp outs' are variable not fixed.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #44 of 60
Same here. Currently use it as Dac/Amp for headphones and also to connect some powered 2.1 speakers for my home office desktop. I think it sounds good...especially for a device that cost me $200!

Am thinking of buying a Vahalla 2 to connect to the Sony's DAC Out for high-impedance Senns & Beyers. Will then connect the 2.1 speaker setup to the back of the Vahalla. However, I need to talk with Schiit about this prior to pulling the trigger as the Vahalla's 'preamp outs' are variable not fixed.

Let us know how it turns out for you if you decide to go down that route!

I had a Woo Audio WA6 hooked up to the rca out on the UDA-1 and while I liked it, I didn't notice an I mediated improvement over what the built in amplifier supplied. I then tried a V200 in the same manner and while the Violectric sounded great, I just found that I always went back to the stock amp of the UDA-1. Mainly because it was easier to just turn on one device. Anyway this is just my experience realizing I was happy enough with the HD800/UDA-1 setup. I'm sure that there are waaayyyyy better sounding setups out there that would have me drooling over new gear :)

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #45 of 60
Let us know how it turns out for you if you decide to go down that route!

I had a Woo Audio WA6 hooked up to the rca out on the UDA-1 and while I liked it, I didn't notice an I mediated improvement over what the built in amplifier supplied. I then tried a V200 in the same manner and while the Violectric sounded great, I just found that I always went back to the stock amp of the UDA-1. Mainly because it was easier to just turn on one device. Anyway this is just my experience realizing I was happy enough with the HD800/UDA-1 setup. I'm sure that there are waaayyyyy better sounding setups out there that would have me drooling over new gear :)

Will do...

I like the the UDA-1 as well; just looking for a reasonably priced OTL tube amp for some of my cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back