Looking at getting HD800. What else should I give a listen in that price bracket?
Jun 30, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #16 of 57
This will be my favourite picture for a long time. I've since sold off Eikon and Atticus. Not because they didn't sound good but because I'm using HD800 primarily now. It just sound so right to my ears with Glenn OTL amp. Headphones are such personal gear. Much depends on preference and partnering equipment.

L to R - HD800, LCD-2f, Atticus, Eikon.

Makes me want to buy three other nice headphone stands like those and take a similar photo! I really want a Padauk Eikon.

Jun 30, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #17 of 57
Well after buying 2 Omega stands, I just couldn't bring myself to buy another 2 more at those price. So I bought 2 much much cheaper 'Samdi' made in china stands but it look good too. :)

I did regret selling those Atticus and Eikon but I needed to sample more headphones for myself.

I had the Beyer T1 original at one time... it was a fav then.

20170816_181413.jpg

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #18 of 57
I'm totally happy with Yggdrasil > Glenn Super 9 OTL amp > HD800. No mods required.

However change will happen because I've ordered a DNA Stratus and it will come in a year's time.

HD800 needs the right amp and I can think of no better amps than Glenn OTL amp and DNA Stratus for it. Then HD800 will sound extraordinary.
Have yet to hear a Glenn amp but did hear the Stratus with the 800’s and I think you will be happy and I liked it with my Abyss also.

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #20 of 57
Have yet to hear a Glenn amp but did hear the Stratus with the 800’s and I think you will be happy and I liked it with my Abyss also.

It will be a one year wait for the Stratus. I better find happiness when I get it. :)

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #21 of 57
It will be a one year wait for the Stratus. I better find happiness when I get it. :)

HD800 with the Stratus is like a different headphone. VERY impressive combo! Donald knows his stuff! I haven't heard the Glenn yet so I don't know how different it will be but I know the combo with the Stratus is one of the best I've ever heard with the HD800.

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #22 of 57
HD800 with the Stratus is like a different headphone. VERY impressive combo! Donald knows his stuff! I haven't heard the Glenn yet so I don't know how different it will be but I know the combo with the Stratus is one of the best I've ever heard with the HD800.

Thanks that's comforting to know that the Stratus is impressive with HD800. I also think that the Glenn OTL is superb with HD800. So it will be a self discovery for me as to which is better with HD800. I suspect it depends on the music you listen to as well.

This is my Glenn Super 9 OTL amp running Sylvania 6sn7w metal base and 6 x 6bx7gt.
DSC_0020.JPG

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #23 of 57
Looks sweet.

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #24 of 57
I don't know if it looks sweet but the Glenn OTL does look industrial and purposeful. :)

So to the OP, I'd say go for the HD800 by all means but you need either of these 2 amps. Then HD800 will sound like it's meant to sound when Sennheiser created it.

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #25 of 57
Haven’t heard the Glenn amp but the Stratus is very good. Was awesome with the 800’s ,Utopias and my Abyss it will bring the bass .

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #26 of 57
Haven’t heard the Glenn amp but the Stratus is very good. Was awesome with the 800’s ,Utopias and my Abyss it will bring the bass .

Hmmm now you will make me want to spend more. I have heard both Utopia and Abyss on my Yggdrasil and Ragnarok combo and also Yggdrasil and Woo Audio WA5 le. I like both, I really do but I have a slight preference on the Utopia between the 2. My friend who was there with me prefers the Abyss. Shows we all have different taste.

That said, I'm still very happy with the HD800 and Glenn OTL.

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #27 of 57
2F2F58C2-99ED-45EF-91AC-48093D31060B.jpeg

Too bad we will never again get to hear this amp but the best my Ether-C’s and Utopias ever sounded to me.

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #28 of 57
Thanks that's comforting to know that the Stratus is impressive with HD800. I also think that the Glenn OTL is superb with HD800. So it will be a self discovery for me as to which is better with HD800. I suspect it depends on the music you listen to as well.

This is my Glenn Super 9 OTL amp running Sylvania 6sn7w metal base and 6 x 6bx7gt.

That's pretty. It would be fun to A/B test the HD 800 (or HD 800 S) with that amp vs the Apex HiFi Audio Teton.

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #30 of 57
Hmmm now you will make me want to spend more. I have heard both Utopia and Abyss on my Yggdrasil and Ragnarok combo and also Yggdrasil and Woo Audio WA5 le. I like both, I really do but I have a slight preference on the Utopia between the 2. My friend who was there with me prefers the Abyss. Shows we all have different taste.

That said, I'm still very happy with the HD800 and Glenn OTL.
Not a big fan of the Ragnarok myself but love the WA5. My friend loved the Abyss with his WA-5 not LE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back