Looking at buying Woo WA6-SE or Mapletree Audio MAD+ Ear HD
Jul 7, 2010 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sh00t4par

Head-Fier
I've been researching this one a lot and have narrowed down amp choices to these two. I currently own a WA3+ and love it. I think it even sounds good with my lower impedance headphones like the RS1i and 750DJ. On the other hand the MAD Ear+ gets a lot of positive feedback and are said to be a perfect match for the Grado line. Posts on the WA6-SE also talk of a good synergy with Grado.

I want to upgrade to something that will work with all my headphones noted is my sig and allow for future cans. I wan this to be an amp to last me for a long time. I know I love the tube sound as evident when I compared my Matrix M Stage to the Woo. Highs are just too shrill with the M Stage and the tube amp just had a warmer more musical sound to me.

I think my biggest question is having that separate power supply with the Woo important? So I just need some advice on which amp would be the smarter choice. Thanks.

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 8
I think unless you really need the extra power that the 6SE offers, it would be better to go with the MAD ear + instead.  6SE seems to be designed more for headphones that are really voltage/current demanding (although I'm sure it works well with lesser phones as well) and it doesn't seem like most of yours are except for 880/600.  So I'd probably consider more along lines of MAD ear + vs. the standard WA6 since it would make more sense from price/performance perspective.

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
I think unless you really need the extra power that the 6SE offers, it would be better to go with the MAD ear + instead.  6SE seems to be designed more for headphones that are really voltage/current demanding (although I'm sure it works well with lesser phones as well) and it doesn't seem like most of yours are except for 880/600.  So I'd probably consider more along lines of MAD ear + vs. the standard WA6 since it would make more sense from price/performance perspective.

That makes sense. I guess my question should be is it a good idea to get the separate power supply. If so then the comparison should be the WA6SE vs the MAD Ear+ HD Super II. If no power supply then the WA6 vs Ear+ HD.

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 8
If you want a tube sound I'd go with the Ear+ or Super II.  I've got a Super II, and compared to an HDP, it's pretty tubey compared to the HDP.  It also sounded a lot better :)   The WA6/WA6SE, *from what I've heard*, is closer to SS with just a little hint of tube.

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
If you want a tube sound I'd go with the Ear+ or Super II.  I've got a Super II, and compared to an HDP, it's pretty tubey compared to the HDP.  It also sounded a lot better :)   The WA6/WA6SE, *from what I've heard*, is closer to SS with just a little hint of tube.

This is exactly my experience as well. I owned a Woo WA6 w/PDPS for several months and found it had a sound very close to SS. I sold it and kept my Ear+ HD because I enjoyed the extra tube warmth and richer bass the Mapletree provides. Both are excellent amps... I prefered the Woo with my Senn HD650s and the Mapletree with my RS-1s, though all of the possible amp/can combinations were enjoyable.

As for the separate power supply... I'll let you know in a few weeks. I'm second to next in line for a Super II and am very eager to compare it to my Ear+.

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 8
I pretty much decided to go with a MAD amp. I just need to wait for my Woo WA3+ to sell on here to use as a down payment. I can't find many impressions on the Super II just a few posts but all seem to be positive. My only concern is if it would work as well as the Ear + HD with the RS1i.

How long is the wait for MAD amps? Olias, it seems you have been waiting awhile from posts I saw in another thread.

Jul 8, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
I pretty much decided to go with a MAD amp. I just need to wait for my Woo WA3+ to sell on here to use as a down payment. I can't find many impressions on the Super II just a few posts but all seem to be positive. My only concern is if it would work as well as the Ear + HD with the RS1i.

How long is the wait for MAD amps? Olias, it seems you have been waiting awhile from posts I saw in another thread.

I've been waiting for 9 weeks now... but, I placed my order in the midst of significant Super II excitement (relatively speaking, of course) AND after Dr. Peppard had stopped taking orders for almost a month. I suspect the wait time now would be closer to 2-4 weeks.

I'm planning on reviewing the Super II in some depth, and will specifically discuss the differences relative to the Ear+ HD and their synergy with my Grados. The RS1/Mapletree combination has lost a lot of head time recently to my newly acquired LA2000 Lites and Audio-GD C2 amp, but I have a feeling that the Super II's "tubey goodness" is going to reel me back in quickly.

Jul 8, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 8
And the MAD Ear+HD is great with my 300 ohm HD800s and 600 ohm beyer T1s. Very versatile. I do agree with the previous comments as well about the Woo6. I initially thought wow, this is just like a SS amp. But you get a great tube/warm sound with the Mapletree products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back