Look! MOONDROP's First HiFi Smartphone, MIAD01
May 1, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #151 of 164
There’s are plenty of alternatives that may work better than MIAD01 depending on one’s needs and use case scenario. The point is, Moondrop MIAD01 is kind of a unique animal… Not unheard of (older LG’s…), but without much competition I think.
Exactly!
For those who prefer a better or cheaper phone plus external dongle - this one is not for you.

May 4, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #153 of 164

Really good review of the Miad01.

May 4, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #154 of 164
It's interesting that it is so easy to install google apps on it, given that you bought it from taobao and the Chinese government doesn't allow Google apps on their phones.
After powering up the phone, it detects the country. I didn't install Google Play; it is pre-installed but not activated. To activate it, go to Settings, then find an option called "Google Play Services Basic Functionality" under the Apps category in the settings menu. Toggle this option on, and Google Play will be available in the home screen after a few seconds. It seems this option is available on the phone, and it might activate based on the country, but I'm not certain. I believe Xiaomi phones come with Google Play, though. However, Google Wallet requires manual GMS installation to work.

May 4, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #156 of 164
Could you test to connect a USB dongle DAC/Amp to the MIAD01 and try playing music with a sampling rate of 48kHz, 96kHz, and 192kHz (using Apple Music if possible)?
How does the USB dongle show each sampling rates? If all of them are shown as 48kHz, it means the USB output of the MIAD01 is via Android SRC.

And I'd like to know the AnTuTu benchmark score.

I'm also looking forward to your review part II.

When I tested a few dongles, they worked perfectly with the excellent Hiby music player in USB exclusive mode, displaying the correct sample rate. I even connected them using a USB Type B to USB C cable to my TOPPING E70 and FX-Audio DS07, both of which correctly displayed the PCM and DSD sample rates you mentioned. I'm not sure if it bypasses the mixer when using the 3.5mm/4.4mm of the phone itself, but the sound is so good that I'm not worried about it.

The second part of the video is available. Feel free to check it out.

May 4, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #157 of 164
@atechreviews can you try installing UAPP on the phone?
If UAPP reports the HW is not supported - try contacting the (SUPER responsive and nice) UAPP developer. When I got the iBasso DX260 DAP, it was not supported by UAPP... 2 days later - I had a beta version from him that worked like a charm. shortly thereafter, he released an official version WITH added DX260 support! He is a great guy.
Sure, I'll do that later and let you know. Do you know how I can contact the developer? Also, can I use my paid USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) app without logging into the MIAD01, as I use my Gmail for work?

May 4, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #158 of 164
When I tested a few dongles, they worked perfectly with the excellent Hiby music player in USB exclusive mode, displaying the correct sample rate. I even connected them using a USB Type B to USB C cable to my TOPPING E70 and FX-Audio DS07, both of which correctly displayed the PCM and DSD sample rates you mentioned. I'm not sure if it bypasses the mixer when using the 3.5mm/4.4mm of the phone itself, but the sound is so good that I'm not worried about it.

The second part of the video is available. Feel free to check it out.
It’s confirmed by Moondrop that it bypasses the android SRC, so it’s not being resampled when using the two internal jacks.

I really don’t see the point in why you’d want this phone if you intend to connect a dongle to it. The whole point of it is it eliminates the need for one.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #159 of 164
It’s confirmed by Moondrop that it bypasses the android SRC, so it’s not being resampled when using the two internal jacks.

I really don’t see the point in why you’d want this phone if you intend to connect a dongle to it. The whole point of it is it eliminates the need for one.
Thank you for confirming that it bypasses the mixer. I definitely don't intend to use it with a dongle, haha. I was just testing its functionality. I believe some people might connect it via USB to a DAC in their homes, connected to a speaker, for example, considering it lacks a line-out, etc. In any case, it works, in case anyone was curious.

May 4, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #160 of 164
Thank you for confirming that it bypasses the mixer. I definitely don't intend to use it with a dongle, haha. I was just testing its functionality. I believe some people might connect it via USB to a DAC in their homes, connected to a speaker, for example, considering it lacks a line-out, etc. In any case, it works, in case anyone was curious.
Well, I’m basing that on the assumption that the marketing material is correct.

Yeah I realised after posting that you were testing as per someone’s question.

That makes sense, I’m an Apple user and use daps for portable listening as I hate using dongles connected to my phone - but the Miad01 is really tempting.

May 4, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #161 of 164
Well, I’m basing that on the assumption that the marketing material is correct.

Yeah I realised after posting that you were testing as per someone’s question.

That makes sense, I’m an Apple user and use daps for portable listening as I hate using dongles connected to my phone - but the Miad01 is really tempting.
I totally get what you mean about dongles! The Apple dongle is super portable, while the others are more like portable DAC/Amps. I hardly ever use them except for quick tests or when I'm traveling with my laptop. I can't imagine walking around with a dongle attached to my phone, haha. For my on-the-go listening, I prefer using DAPs/MIAD01 and the FiiO BTR7. They're more than enough for what I need!

May 4, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #162 of 164

Really good review of the Miad01.

Andy's reviews are great.

Sure, I'll do that later and let you know. Do you know how I can contact the developer? Also, can I use my paid USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) app without logging into the MIAD01, as I use my Gmail for work?
You have to be logged in to be able to install your purchased apps.
If you have security concerns - change your google account password, login and install UAPP and other apps you want, logout and change your google account password.
A process, but if that makes you feel more secure - I guess it's worth it :wink:
As for contacting the developer, Davy's email: info@extreamsd.com

May 4, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #163 of 164
Just received the Moondrop phone.

Will need to test it tomorrow as I have to install certain items to get up to par

PXL_20240502_013502968.jpgPXL_20240502_014040158.jpgPXL_20240502_013518885.jpg

Quick Update, for those thinking on buying:

This is an Android phone for mainland China as such:

A) You cannot use Google Playstore, you have to install Aurora Store or Amazon App Store.

B) Uninstall bloatware , typical for Chinese ROMs

C) Replace UC Browser, with something else like Vivaldi , Firefox or another browser that is allowed in China

D) Once that is done you can install all your preferred apps

E) In order to use Gmail install a different email app like Outlook and use that for your Gmail account

F) Hiby Music is preinstalled and you will find all settings to manage music files,etc.

G) The android settings are all very standard and nothing specific for music output.

Will test tomorrow as a phone first to check bands,etc. After that will check music .

Don't have a way to measure output on 4.4 as I don't have the tools for that.

Device is pretty light and it feels like a modified One Plus or something like that.

Just another Update

Under settings Apps-You can activate Google Services Framework. Once that is done you can use G Apps.

a) Got the phone set up using a simple $25 plan (leveraging Boost Amazon). Obtaining LTE speeds and calls working great.

b) Have installed all my music apps and have downloaded music. Keeping the device clean of email apps, etc. As I want to keep this media centric, no distractions with notifications, etc.

c) The device was programmed to take any SD media as requiring a re-format prior to taking it. This is something that I have experienced with China based ROM's when a phone is involved. Once you re format , everything works fine.

d) Hiby music app works fine and does everything expected.

e) Using the device as a music player and as a phone. Have downloaded using the phone side only a bunch of playlists and everything worked well. Wanted to test if phone overheated vs using wifi. Everything good

f) The device volume (+/-) has a lot of steps , so works great to achieve very specific increases. This was compared against a Pxel Fold, Samsung S24 Ultra and One Plus Open. So it seems that they modified the hardware at that level to behave as a DAP.

g) Output (4.4) has a lot room for volume increase, using Trifecta , Volour , CustomArt 7U vs some dongles. I do not need to go over 30% volume. At 40-50% it was very high.

h) No noise or interference found, while moving between apps, etc.

Device weight, screen, having phone connection and 3.5+ 4.4 outputs.

Had a bit of bias , as I had to deal with Moondrop DSP cable app and its clunkiness, but it seems they applied some good focus on this device, I think its a great effort by Moondrop.

PXL_20240502_183245000.jpg

No issues with streaming via wifi or just via the phone while driving.

EQ on Hiby??. Have not installed wavelet as I trying to keep apps to a minimum as to check battery life

@darveniza got a chance to sample the MIAD. Just wanted to cross post it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back