Long time no see... anybody?
Jul 8, 2011 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: HiBy
Member of the Trade: EFO Technologies Co, YanYin Technology
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
So... I've 4000+ posts here but have hardly visited this place since 2005...

Old Pa even started a Happy Birthday thread for me back in 2006 but I never saw it until now.  Gee that was embarrassing...
redface.gif

So can anybody fill me in on what has happened since then?  Does Jude still own this place?  How many members from way back then are still active now?  I'm trying to remember people I knew from back then and so far I don't see anyone still posting... but whoever's reading this, maybe you remember me?
redface.gif

Etys have bitten the dust again since last year... Senn HD580s sitting in the drawer with a broken cable... Porta Corda sitting in the closet with the volume pot being too wonky for me to find much use for it... that's it it's official: every piece of audiophile gear in my possession walks the green mile
deadhorse.gif
still haven't watched that movie by the way so still don't know what my custom title means
rolleyes.gif

Have come full circle with a recent pair of $1x canalphones sounding really good to my ears after equalization... gonna post a review of these phones nobody's heard of and start a wave of people trying to get their $10 phones to sound like $300 ones again
etysmile.gif
(wait the Sony EX70 were more like $30 instead of $10... well this is going to be even better guys
etysmile.gif
)

But now that my head-fi interest has been piqued again at least I'm going to get around to send my gear in for repairs
smily_headphones1.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 8, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 13
Hey I remember seeing posts from you back in the day. Welcome Back!

Where do we begin with the changes since 2005.... oh man, you have allot of catching up to do 
blink.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 13
Product out the yang. The crowd is younger, portable and don't buy advice too often. Xin, Singlepower are now toast. Bad business and many members victims. Xin just stopped communicating. Singlepower just flat lied and stole from many members.

Most all of the older hobby gang have left to other sites, though they can be found from time to time. The place has become more marketing and less family IMO. Still a quality site with many characters, just not as colorful as back in the day. It's the members that make the place and that doesn't change.

Anyway, welcome home and you may want to check out http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/522921/any-old-fart-head-fi-ers-still-around

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks guys, nice to be remembered
darthsmile.gif

Happy Camper, you joined after I disappeared and now you seem to consider yourself an old fart
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

I notice that links to posts more than a few years old are misdirecting... wonder if that can be fixed?  Oh well, I've fixed the link to my head-fi SWAT team
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 9, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 13
Happy Camper is an old fart, like me. Happy Camper is a good guy and a valuable member who contributes a lot. He is worth getting to know. :)

Lots has changed. You can spend a few weeks catching up on all the new gear. Much of it is portable, but there are several notable new full-sized headphones now. Prices for the top end have moved past $1,000. Many more amps, as well. Solid state seems to have lost the war - everyone wants tubes today. Vinyl is going mainstream, too.

Then there's the sad and somewhat bizarre demise of Singlepower. It's worth browsing those threads - the biggest scandal we've had. Woo turned into a big manufacturer, and Craig Uthus transitioned from Moth Audio to Eddie Current. Both manufacturers have great products. Dr. Meier and Ray Samuels are still around and doing great.

As for headphones, Sennheiser brought out the HD-800 and Beyerdynamic has a high-end hit with the T1, along with a cult resurgence of their DT48 (I love them). Grado brought out the GS-1000 which was popular, but had a backlash. Grado's PS-1000 hasn't gained traction, either. A new high-end competitor emerged with Audez'e and their LCD2 planar. I haven't bought one (yet) but have heard them and they are excellent. AKG discontinued their old line and gave us the K-601 and the polarizing K-701. I truly hate it, but it has a following with noobs because it's a cheap flagship. AKG also introduced a fluorescent green version as the Q-701. Go figure. Audio-Technica's M50 is the choice of noobs these days, and modded Denons are bought by bassheads. Stax has a new top offering, but I haven't heard it. And Jerry Harvey Audio is a heavy hitter with their JH13 and JH16 custom IEMs. I fell hard for the JH13 and will pick one up sooner or later.

Speaking of transitions, Tyll is no longer associated with HeadRoom. There are a couple threads discussing this.

DIY has introduced lots of great designs. The best-regarded is probably AMB's sublime Beta22 amp. One of the truly great solid state designs that even the tubeheads like.

You've missed some CanJams, too. Every one has been a blast. My favorite was the '09 Los Angeles CanJam. About 500 people showed up and it was a party start to finish.

Jude is still The Man here. Watch his Head-Fi videos - they're great. Some of old the mods and admins have moved on, but quite a few of the old guard check in. You probably don't know me or Currawong, but we've been on Staff for a bit and do our best to help out here.

Plenty else, too. Though I only know of you through old posts, it's great to have you back. :)

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 13
Wow, thanks for the great summary... although to be honest I don't remember many of the manufacturers you mentioned in the first place.  New gear never managed to hold my interest for long after I joined anyway--I was always more interested in software optimization of the source signal before it reaches my gear.  Things like equalization, HRTF-based crossfeed...  I know it's already a 40-page long thread (but over so many years), but PiccoloNamek's tutorial on compensating for ear canal resonances and parametric equalization in general have made such a night and day difference to the sound quality I'm getting that I'm surprised it's not getting more discussion and suggestions for improvement.

I see myself sending the etys and senns in for repair, maybe getting a new sound card for $100 tops, writing reviews on how these phones sound after parametric equalization, then I'd probably run out of things to say again gearwise.  Maybe I should visit the music forum more... but I've always found it hard to introduce myself to new music.  Even the best tunes seem to sound flat if I've never heard of the band or music before and just get it based on a recommendation... some tunes then eventually grow on me, many do not...

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #10 of 13
Parametric equalization: very nice softwares like Electri-Q, PSP Neon, Easy-Q that mostly work via a VST host for the player of your choice. Foobar2000 is a reference these days.
Crossfeed and assimilated: Tone Boosters Isone is a very nice VST plugin, another solution would be foobar + channel mixer + Dolby headphones.

I believe there are threads in the computer audio section.

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #11 of 13
Thanks guys, nice to be remembered
darthsmile.gif

Happy Camper, you joined after I disappeared and now you seem to consider yourself an old fart
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

I notice that links to posts more than a few years old are misdirecting... wonder if that can be fixed?  Oh well, I've fixed the link to my head-fi SWAT team
biggrin.gif

Old fart in human years, Head Fi years, not so much.

The site blew up a couple years ago and the links got scrambled.

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Parametric equalization: very nice softwares like Electri-Q, PSP Neon, Easy-Q that mostly work via a VST host for the player of your choice. Foobar2000 is a reference these days.
Crossfeed and assimilated: Tone Boosters Isone is a very nice VST plugin, another solution would be foobar + channel mixer + Dolby headphones.

I believe there are threads in the computer audio section.

Thanks--yes, this looks like an interesting new section of Head-Fi for me to inhabit
beyersmile.png
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back