Long time ER-4P user wanting advice on new in-ear monitors
May 15, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #31 of 64
HF5. It's essentially the same as the ER4p, but with much lower microphonics.
evil_smiley.gif

May 15, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #33 of 64
They do have a lot of microphonics, don't know if they're the worst. My q-JAYS are just as bad. On the bright side the er4 cable seems like the toughest I've ever seen from an iem.

Another option if you are not happy with the cable is to purchase this adapter which will allow you to use a Westone cable. http://cgi.ebay.com/ETYMOTIC-ER4-IN-EARPHONE-CABLE-ADAPTOR-B-S-P-/290534436159?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a533ad3f

My ER-4S plugged straight into a Cowon J3 dap responds well to a little EQ. A tiny boost at 80Hz sounds great. The BBE Mach3Bass setting puts them into basshead territory!

May 15, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #35 of 64
So are all of you guys working in this industry/ have degrees in electronics or whatever, or is it just self motivated interest? The rewiring sounds like an idea. Is it easy to do yourself? 
If all of the IEMs beyond a certain point are much of a muchness, then why are the prices so different? Is it just a brand thing/ psychological thing?
I've ordered an ER-4P> S converter, and E5 and an L5 cable, all coming to a very reasonable £35 roughly. The size of the E5 was very attractive and seemed a good option as opposed to spending £40 on the E11 alone, seeing as I haven't a reference to compare them to. 
Perhaps I've also sounded a little too hard on the ER-4Ps. I think they are one of the best buys I have ever made, having had them for, what must be nearly three years. I'm pretty certain that the sound has matured too. The improvements or tweaks in sound that I'm after are likely to be minimal. I think this will be achieved with the mentioned gubbins. I can hear in them that the sound could be crisper and more pronounced. 
Do any of you have those really expensive custom monitors like the Ultimate ears etc? What are they like?!

May 15, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #38 of 64
So are all of you guys working in this industry/ have degrees in electronics or whatever, or is it just self motivated interest? The rewiring sounds like an idea. Is it easy to do yourself? 
If all of the IEMs beyond a certain point are much of a muchness, then why are the prices so different? Is it just a brand thing/ psychological thing?
I've ordered an ER-4P> S converter, and E5 and an L5 cable, all coming to a very reasonable £35 roughly. The size of the E5 was very attractive and seemed a good option as opposed to spending £40 on the E11 alone, seeing as I haven't a reference to compare them to. 
Perhaps I've also sounded a little too hard on the ER-4Ps. I think they are one of the best buys I have ever made, having had them for, what must be nearly three years. I'm pretty certain that the sound has matured too. The improvements or tweaks in sound that I'm after are likely to be minimal. I think this will be achieved with the mentioned gubbins. I can hear in them that the sound could be crisper and more pronounced. 
Do any of you have those really expensive custom monitors like the Ultimate ears etc? What are they like?!

Three years is nothing. I remember reading here about a member who has had his for fifteen years and still going!

May 17, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #40 of 64
Do you wear them over the ear? That pretty much cuts all microphonics to zero on the majority of my IEM's I've had in the past.

May 17, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #42 of 64
To be honest I sit still when I listen though. If you wear a zippered jacket with these things and walk around, it's terrible!

May 17, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #43 of 64
Despite my love to ER4S, this is a headphone difficult to use: It needs an excellent source, a robust amplification and immobilization in a certain use, because of the extremely microphonic cable.

However, when these difficulties are overcome, you're likely to hear the best sound for your life... :xf_eek:)

Cheers,

Peter

May 17, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #44 of 64
I agree that the ER4 series have a wonderful sound. The microphonics certainly are annoying though! I wonder if the above mentioned method of replacing the wires with westone wires vastly improves the problem?

May 17, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #45 of 64
I also have an ER4P and with an amp and some mods and it delivers more than my Westone UM3X and W3.

I have added an apuresound cable, Shure Olive tips and Arrow amp and a FiiO high quality LOD.  I play mostly lossless files via my iPhone and with the arrow amp switched to maximum bass boost and cross feed on I am still getting all of the Ety detail but now also get deep tight bass and a slightly warmer feel to the sound. The ER4P set up this way is superb to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back