Long Forgotton Rock Classics
Aug 19, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #31 of 38
^ Interesting selections. Don't have any other videos to post yet. But thought I'd mention a couple other largely forgotten groups that might or might not be worth a look...

JAPAN did some interesting stuff, some of which had a kind of "oriental" vibe, hence the name I assume. This was during the post-punk era I think. I may be confusing them with another group, but I believe they had a fairly strong following for a brief minute in Britain (edit: and also Japan, my sources tell me), but never quite caught on in the US.

THE SWEET, or just SWEET... We're not really sure, and neither were they I suspect. :) High energy and high-pitched glam-rockers (think Queen or KISS, only more ear-splitting) that put out a few good singles like "Ballroom Blitz", "Fox on the Run", and "Love Is Like Oxygen" in the coked-up 70's.

BADFINGER - Another group that was pretty successful in the early 70's, but plagued later on by financial, contractual and personal difficulties that led to some members of the group taking their own lives.

STORIES (sometimes called "Ian Lloyd's Stories", or variations thereof) - Most will probably remember the cover of "Brother Louie", and not much else by these guys. Ian had/has a very distinct and very raspy voice though (somewhat akin to Rod Stewart), and they did some interesting and rather trippy pop-rock back in the day, which never really caught on.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #32 of 38
"Freakbeat" is another genre that might provide some fertile ground for this subject. The freakbeaters were on sort of the fringes of the swinging 60's London/Europe scene. And they were precursors of many other styles that followed, including glam, metal, psych, and punk-rock.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #33 of 38
A few of the groups already mentioned above by some others, like The Move and Amboy Dukes, have a sort of freak-beaty vibe.

Aug 19, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #34 of 38
"Freak-beat" is another genre that might provide some fertile ground for this subject. The freak-beaters were on sort of the fringes of the swinging 60's London/Europe scene. And they were precursors of many other styles that followed, including glam, metal, pysch, and punk-rock.

All the songs in this compilation are classified as freakbeat.

Freakbeat.jpg

Aug 19, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #35 of 38
Thank you for posting that wuwhere. I've listened to some of the artists on this compilation. The collection is quite a hodge-podge of offbeat & forgotten groups/artists as I recall, some of which became better known under different names.

Bowie (then Davy Jones) was one of the products of this musical soup in mid-60's London. And some of his earliest records with The Manish Boys, and The Lower 3rd (which included session guitarist Jimmy Page) are sometimes labeled as freakbeat. He later did a cover album called Pin Ups, which was effectively his tribute to the mid-60's British freakbeaters.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #36 of 38
Slade was already posted, but this record got me, as I was a little boy and now, some years later, it is still one of the records, that I really love to hear, like the most Slade stuff still is.

B0000257TZ.03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Vinyl-wise I like the Slade Alive and the Story of Slade. Damn cool band, that is pretty unknown here, specially when you ask persons, that are in the 30s, like me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back