Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Jul 27, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #2,446 of 2,910
Quote:
Good news everyone!

I asked Mike if there is going to be a rack-mount version of this.
While "rack-mount" is uncommon here on head-fi, this is for the sound engineer guys who want to listen to their mix on several sources to see how they translate.

I hope the rack mount has other inputs and outputs.  I would love coax in for stereo and coax or aes/ebu out.

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #2,447 of 2,910
Is the rack mount Realiser the mysterious P8 model? There is little enough information about this one, but it seems that the concept has been around since 2011 or possibly even earlier, but was never realised (insert pun here), at least not until now (?). Here's a french website with some pictures: http://www.lesonmulticanal.com/2011/11/25/smyth-realiser-p8/

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #2,448 of 2,910
Guys I need some help here. I'm trying to set up my Realiser but failed miserably when trying to do a PRIR of my speakers. After the actual measurement (i.e. after the test tones were played) I see two screens with various numbers - as according to the manual I press OK twice, but after that the Realiser does not save the PRIR. The manual says that there should be a screen where you can enter your ID and a description, but I can't see this. The PRIR memory no. 64, where it should be saved, remains empty.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Never mind, I've found the culprit - apparently there is an option that disables saving the PRIR after the measurement, which has been enabled.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #2,449 of 2,910
You are not alone.  I did exactly the same thing.  

Anyone here had the virtual image at the wrong elevation?  My PRIR azimuths turn out perfect but the vitual image is consistently 20 degrees too high.  I have a query into Lorr but just wondered if anyone had anything similar.  There is adjustment for azimuth in the Realiser but not elevation.

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #2,450 of 2,910
I have been admiring the concept of the Realizer for sometime while following this thread.   Lately there hasn't been much to follow.   Is enthusiasm waning or has everything been said.  Or are you all just listening to more music?

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #2,451 of 2,910
Quote:
I have been admiring the concept of the Realizer for sometime while following this thread.   Lately there hasn't been much to follow.   Is enthusiasm waning or has everything been said.  Or are you all just listening to more music?

I listen to my Realiser almost every day. I am not sure how many new users there are out there, but I think for everyone who has been a Realiser owner for a while, we have our systems dialed in and our measurements done and are able to just enjoy the experience.

I am surprised there aren't more new owners on this thread much. The learning curve can be steep and there is a lot to learn if you want to get the most out of the Realiser.

I also think that part of it is that it works and works well. There really is no upgrade path or enhancements, etc. unlike lots of other headphone gear. Not as much to talk about like the other threads where comparisons and asking about upgrading to something better and more expensive, etc. seem to be the bulk of the conversation.

I am pretty sure that most owners are still enjoying their Realisers and I doubt there is less enthusiasm. You can also tell since you rarely see a used Realiser come up for sale. If people were losing interest, they would be selling them to get something else.

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #2,453 of 2,910
Quote:
darinf, what headphone do you use to listen to the realiser? do you feel like upgrading the headphone to improve the experience at all?

At the time I bought the Realiser, I bought what I felt was the best that I could afford. I found a used pair of Stax 407's and a Stax 323S amp from Japan. The cost of the used Stax setup was only a little more than the "stock" Stax 2170 combo that Smyth sells with the Realiser.

I am very happy with my headphones. Could it be better? Sure. It always can. However I have compared my Stax to the Stax 2170 and I think my setup does sound better in terms of accuracy and bass. I have also compared my Stax to the Stax 009 and 727 combo and with LCD-3's. I have to say, for the difference in price, I think I still got a great deal. Do I think the other Stax or Audeze are better? Yes, but even if I did have the money, I don't know if I would spend the money for a Stax 009 setup. I guess it really depends how "affordable" that setup is for you. I also did feel that with the right amp, the LCD-3's could sound better, especially in terms of bass impact for movies.

To answer your question, yes, I do think better headphones can improve the experience. The Realiser captures so much detail and nuance of each system, that the better the headphones, the more accurate reproduction of the room and speakers.

It's really moot at this point since I am still really happy with my current headphones and I can't afford to buy better ones anyway.

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #2,455 of 2,910
Quote:

Early this year I upgraded my HDTV from a Sony 34XBR960 (CRT) that I used to watch from a distance of about 4.5 feet (to get the proper "widescreen impact" for a screen of that size) to a wall-mounted Panny 65VT50 (calibrated to ABSOLUTE PERFECTION by DNice) that I now watch from a distance of about 11.5 feet, on the other side of my bedroom.  The visual effect is astonishing, as watching this HDTV (fed for both BluRay movies as well as DVR-provided HDTV) via Oppo BDP-103's HDMI-1 output truly seems like a movie theater projection experience.

So visually, I don't know how this could be better.  A true "theater experience", in my bedroom.

And every time I settle in to do any serious amount of watching, of BluRay movies (in 1080/24p) or HDTV (in 1080/60p), the Stax SR-009 goes on my head (fed from my SRM-727tII amp), fed (through XLR from my Audio-GD NFB9 external DAC to the amp) from my Realiser (feeding optical to the DAC) which is fed HDMI directly from the Oppo 103's LPCM HDMI-2 output (for both BluRay movies as well as DVR-provided HDTV).  And this completes the "virtual theater experience", which is like watching my huge screen across the room while sitting in the AIX mixing room and hearing sound through the AIX room speakers.

As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing more that I want or need.  Nirvana for me, in a 3rd-floor condo bedroom where I could NEVER have a true sound system that I might want.  So I'm watching a perfect picture presented by the most fabulous HDTV I've seen, and listening to sound through the best headphones there are, which are duplicating the surround sound of the B&W speakers in the AIX mixing room.

It's taken me about a year (and some dollars) to accomplish this final upgrade of both video display equipment (from XBR960 to 65VT50) and Realiser-based audio equipment from where I was last year (still using an analog-connected older Realiser, Stax SRM-T1S/SR-Omega, and no external DAC).  But having achieved my true goal "production" setup I simply am not lusting after any further upgrades or changes.

I now simply WATCH, LISTEN, AND ENJOY!  It's truly my home theater thanks to the 65VT50, and virtual surround sound provided by the Realiser is the magic ingredient.

I started this thread four years ago as people know, but I have not lost any enthusiasm for the product.  And with the 65VT50, it's really like "going to the movies" at a modern theater with great projectors and great sound.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #2,457 of 2,910
I've been away for almost a year...was supposed to go to AIX and Mi Casa but apparently Mi Casa is no longer an option. AIX is still an option, so that's good.

Anyone have suggestions for good studios/locations to visit in the LA area?

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #2,459 of 2,910
Quote:
I've been away for almost a year...was supposed to go to AIX and Mi Casa but apparently Mi Casa is no longer an option. AIX is still an option, so that's good.

Anyone have suggestions for good studios/locations to visit in the LA area?

Not sure about LA locations, but PM me if you want to take a side trip to San Diego.

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #2,460 of 2,910
Quote:
Not sure about LA locations, but PM me if you want to take a side trip to San Diego.

Ok; I notice that the accuracy of the emulation is very dependent on the mic fittings, and despite me having done it almost a dozen times myself now I still don't have it down to a science. I'm going to ask Lorr to give me some pointers on that in person, hence the LA locations (where he's able to go help).

Once I get good at putting the mics I'll consider going to other cities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back