Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Mar 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #2,327 of 2,910
Quote:
There is no way to get digital into the Realiser from your PWD.

After thinking about it, I wonder if any of the component/Toslink/SPDIF to HDMI converters would work to get digital audio into the Realiser? Like this one.

I am not sure if it will work without a video signal input. But for the $45 it might be worth a shot.

However, that assumes that your PWD and Bridge could operate as a source and a DAC at the same time. Can you feed the digital output from the Bridge into the Realiser and then feed the digital output of the Realiser into the PWD? I would be surprised if they had that kind of functionality. It;s basically like have a digital effects/processor output on the PWD.

Just a thought, but it probably won't work.
-Darin

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #2,328 of 2,910
Quote:
Secondly, does the SVS processing in any way alter or inhibit the unique sonic characteristics of the head amp and headphones?  Does the Realiser convert the amp/phones characteristics to blend in with a particular PRIR, or does the PRIR use the amp/phones characteristics as-is and merely expands in space?  If the former, then what's the point of getting the most expensive head gear?  (sorry if I'm the 1000th person to ask this)  If the latter, then does it betray the sonic intentions of the amp/phones creator?

The PRIR and HPEQ files work independently...

"The HPEQ compensates both for the acoustical interaction of the headphone cup with the listener’s pinna, and the response of the headphone itself, which the Realiser attempts to linearise. For this compensation, the Realiser generates a filter which is the inverse of the measured response." -Smyth Manual

You can chose no HPEQ file, or configure how much compensation you want in your HPEQ file. Gear changes are definitely notable, even more so depending on certain settings. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #2,330 of 2,910
I listen all the time, several hours a day and still have perfect hearing.  Just don't turn it up too loud, is all.  No different than listening to non-HRTF, regular headphone audio.  In fact, listening to movies is less SPL's to the ears, since movies in general are a lot quieter than music, where there are small spikes of loud scenes, with mostly quiet dialogue scenes.

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #2,331 of 2,910
Just for fun I bought an MHL-HDMI adapter for my Samsung Galaxy S2. It actually works fine with Realiser, but only sends 2 channels no matter what.. stupid Android. I guess it's not a portable setup with Realiser lugging around anyway.
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #2,336 of 2,910
Quote:
Is it possible to set a volume level in a preset?

Yes.  Same way as you create a preset by selecting a PRIR and HPEQ, and then "SAVE PRESET". Before pushing the "SAVE PRESET" just set the volume you want.

Whatever volume you have set when you push the "SAVE PRESET" will be the volume that is restored when you then select that preset with the P1-P4 buttons on the remote.  The current volume is included in the PRESET that gets saved.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #2,337 of 2,910
Quote:
HD Smart H1 Player seems to have the same features as dune hd duo?  or the website misleading?

Unfortunately the shop page seams misleading. The dune homepage (dune-hd.com) says for the smart h1 "HD audio support: pass-through and decoding (stereo downmix) of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA audiotracks (Blu-ray), pass-through of multichannel LPCM audiotracks (Blu-ray, TS, MKV), decoding of FLAC audiotracks (MKV, external)" .
Only the premium series have "Extended support for Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio: output bitstream (up to 7.1 channels) or decode to LPCM (up to 7.1 channels)".
My tip is the new hd base 3d. It is cheaper than the max und the duo and has a newer chip.
The problem with DTS Master is solved with the newest firmware update.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #2,338 of 2,910
Quote:
Unfortunately the shop page seams misleading. The dune homepage (dune-hd.com) says for the smart h1 "HD audio support: pass-through and decoding (stereo downmix) of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA audiotracks (Blu-ray), pass-through of multichannel LPCM audiotracks (Blu-ray, TS, MKV), decoding of FLAC audiotracks (MKV, external)" .
Only the premium series have "Extended support for Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio: output bitstream (up to 7.1 channels) or decode to LPCM (up to 7.1 channels)".
My tip is the new hd base 3d. It is cheaper than the max und the duo and has a newer chip.
The problem with DTS Master is solved with the newest firmware update.

I agree. That site is misleading for sure. I have talked to the USA Dune rep and he said the Smart H1 will NOT work.

I would go with a Base 3D especially if mirohh says it works.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #2,339 of 2,910
Quote:
Yes.  Same way as you create a preset by selecting a PRIR and HPEQ, and then "SAVE PRESET". Before pushing the "SAVE PRESET" just set the volume you want.

Whatever volume you have set when you push the "SAVE PRESET" will be the volume that is restored when you then select that preset with the P1-P4 buttons on the remote.  The current volume is included in the PRESET that gets saved.

got it, thanks!

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #2,340 of 2,910
After reading all I could about the Realiser, I made a trip yesterday to a Midwest Realiser dealer to try out the unit.  My experience was fairly negative and I am hoping that those with some experience with the Realiser can help me understand what happened.

The system to be simulated was world class (Esoteric/BAT/Wilson) in a pretty good room.  When listening to the Realiser I noticed a few problems:

1)  The Smyth system had a deal more bass than the actual system.  On a symphonic test track, the basses were far too loud.  Similarly on a rock test track the kick drum completely dominated the mix, in a way not apparent on the real system.  (I was impressed by how much bass the Stax headphones could deliver, but this was just way out of balance)

2)  The soundstage presentation was much more forward on the Smyth system.  On the real system, the soundstage was at the plane of the speakers or behind.  With the Smyth system the soundstage was well in front of the speakers.  Since the real system was already a "nearfield listening" setup, this more forward presentation was not a good thing.  It got kind of "in-your-face"

3)  Sonic images on the Smyth system were larger and less precise than on the real system.  The real system was capable of pinpoint imaging, whereas the Smyth system gave images that were larger and less well defined.  On one test track a guitar sound that normally sounds about two feet tall, was rendered by the Smyth system as a huge guitar that extended from floor to ceiling.  Kinda interesting, but not at all what was happening on the real system.

So what do I make of this experience?  Was it just a bad measurement?  Or are some of these issues to be expected with the Realiser?  

If it was a bad measurement - what was the likely problem?  How difficult is it to get "good" measurements? 

Any thoughts appreciated - I really wanted to like the Realiser but this demo was quite underwhelming.

Update:  I went back for another try with the Realiser and everything worked perfectly.  Everything you read about in the reviews were true in my case.  The Realiser simulated 98% of the sound of a $100,000+ system.  Mind boggling.  See my more complete post on page 161

Users who are viewing this thread

Back